• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Noodles

rks

The use of rice noodles in Kerala cooking is common in breakfast and lunch dishes. However, we don't see many interpretation on Indian menus here in the US.

How are rice noodles prepared?

What are some good traditional rice noodle dishes?

I think the use of rice noodles would be a creative and interesting addition to an Indian menu.

The use of rice noodles in Kerala cooking is common in breakfast and lunch dishes. .....

I may have missed them when I was in Kerala - Albeit all my memories are over 25 years ago - Even in Mumbai, we had many people from kerala in our building, I do not recollect - maybe you could post the local word/term for it ?

anil

seviyan upma, i think, is what rks is referring to. one of my favorite breakfast foods.

also, i think seviyan (fine noodles) can be made from more things besides rice.

rks, are you looking for a recipe for seviyan upma?

not quite a breakfast dish but you can also make kheer, a dessert in which the noodles are served in a spiced milk. called payasam in the south.

I scoured some cookbooks and came across another name, Idiyappam. It's sometime served with sothy, a seasoned coconut milk. Does this ring a bell?

Indiagirl, a recipe for seviya upma would be nice. I think I'm just looking for some creative ways to incorporate rice noodles in a dinner entree.