• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brasserie Holder

Rex

Why should you wait before going???

I pass it all the time on my way to and from work, however the place never looks busy...

However, you can actually see in if you walk on the opposite side of the street, it looks nice...

But, no, I've never gone in...

It's very inconspicuous contributing I'm sure to its lack of business... If I hadn't seen this thread, it never would have dawned on me what it was.

• 3 weeks later...

We went there yesterday before going out. I can say that my last couple of restaurant evenings have been weird to say the least.

We spotted Holder which is on McGill very close to Cube. They did a really nice job for the restaurant. The first thaught, when you enter the restaurant, is that you've entered one of those super-restos that have a very high volume, reminded me exactly of Brasserie Jo in Chicago. It's impressive to see such large floors opening in Montreal.

The second thing we noticed was that the Holder was named after the Holder brothers ! I couldn't believe it ! Sometimes, it's like a twilight zone, from the bumping days of the Business to the Brasserie. My understanding is that the Holder's have been doing all sorts of projects. The moto last night was "they made us dance now they are feeding us". The staff was in good spirit. You can sense that there seems to be a strong effort to create the brasserie environment, the owners had tons of kids at their table, the service was upscale but functionnal. It's going to take a while, although I could see the bar area being invaded late on week nights (was not the case yesterday). It's going to be up to the staff and the kitchen to make it work. The decor and ambiance are at par. For me, pub, bistro, Brasserie, the idea is that there must be one or two items that are undisputedly mastered on the menu, that is unique to that place. I didn't really notice any effort on beer selection, looks more to be centered on port. It's still a debate to know exactly what direction this retaurant will take as the menu covers quite a bit, but all Brasserie items.

We were in a hurry but I had a Roquefort, grapefruit, apple and endive salad. It was very good, lacked a bit of lift since shredding endive creates more liquids, a very bold oil would have been welcomed. My friend had the chevre chaux which is a simple broiled piece of chevre with beets, pickles. The croutons are very good so they went fast with the chevre.

For main, I had the Onglet with petits haricots and my friend had the fish and chips. The onglet was a bit tough (more than the onglet I am used to), it came with a light sauce and some string haricots. Those were slightly overcooked and again could have used some lift. The fish was good, aiglefin, and the plate is very big. The bater is well done, the tartare sauce is by far the best I have had in a while and maybe the signature item of the evening. The fries were acceptable but truly not what is expected of a Brasserie...

Then came the moment... All night I could see the chef, Maitre D and waiter battling with the table behind us. A place like Holder on a Saturday night seems to attract a crowd of be seens and want to be seens. The table kept sending back their appetizers, there was alot of insults flying around, everyone kept on saying "It's too ZALTY" like big lamentations. I'm think they all read the gazette artcile from Leslie because it was all salad. They truly wanted to create a scene because they did not accept any arrangements the staff would make. Two tables beside them asked if they could be moved. When my friend came back from the washroom (she was dressed in black), she got shouted at by the oldest member of the table to bring him a beer. That's when I blew my fuse and told him to sit down before he makes another mistake. How is it possible to be agressive like that with a pregnant women ?

Then we got the grand finale. The man's son, who is obviously employed by his father, decided to push some basic business 101 to the employees. His voice got very loud, the manager came, the chef came on more time. The chef told him that his comments where unfair and unjustified. He asked him if "he was a slave to his customers", the chef said no and left in a total act of defense. The kid got up on his seat and with the most effeminate voice "You're stupid, you know nothing, you should be a slave to you customers" Really, really loud... Maitre D came over our table, apologized without any rude comments, asked us if we wanted to switch tables, instead made arrangements to get our coffees and bill in a flash (thank god). We are not lucky...

As I walked out, I couldn't imagine what the Holder brother's would have done to a guy like that 20 years ago... I figured I should give these nasty customers a chance to blow their fuse on something constructive. Like changing a unpredicted flat tire on that brown lexus.

It cost us 88$ for one salade endive, one salad chevre chaud, one onglet, one fish and chip, two coffees (espresso and capuchino) and half bottle of sancerre. Not bad, but I would pay more anytime to get the quality food of the "other" downtown brasserie. Doesn't compare at all.

Edited by identifiler (log)

Thanks for that identifiler. :smile: What a horrible experience. There's nothing like a table of assholes to ruin a night out.

Funny, when I had the onglet it was almost too soft, and my fries were superb. Much better than at Rosalie (sorry David, but it's true).

The salt situation was a disaster. I ended up sending back two dishes because of it -- and I like salty food. But there's salt, and then there's SALT!!!

The best dish I tasted at Holder is the medaillons de veau. And the foie gras au torchon is also great. The profiteroles and creme caramel are the best in the city.

I hope Holder hangs in there and gets stronger. I like the place. The decor is cool and the brasserie ambiance is hard to beat.

It's a young place, but I think it shows promise.

Remember the Holder brothers other restaurants? L'Oeuf, Brasserie Holder, and didn't they back Matteo's first restaurant?

I was tempted by the foie gras. I really had to chew on that onglet.

I am sorry Leslie, I am certain something happened between your fries and my fries. The fries I had, I do not think were cut on site. Maybe you can confirm but my fries had pretty much the look of St Hubert fries but slightly less fat but soft. There was not a single eye or skin on my fries, they looked process. I am a big frie guy and I find the fries at Rosalie to be the best in Montreal with the ones I had last night not even in the top ten. I think we didn't get the same fries.

Didn't the Holder's have some ownership in Queue de Cheval. They had their hands on all sorts of stuff, Royal, Swiming. I think they may have shares in a couple of spots in Quebec too (Cafe du monde/cochon dinge conglomerate).

I like the place too, the prices are honest. It's going to need a little bit more "identity" dishes, something that makes you crave only at Holder.

There are indeed not to far apart, however, a rib steak will be very tender because less exercised, the rib region is of course described as being behing the shoulders of the animal (standing). The hanger steak follows the rib, in the region called the short plate, just before the flank region (underbelly) and loin region. The hanger steak takes it's name because it is position just under the diaphragm, a more autonomos muscle less associated to a bone, it just hangs on the diaphragm. It is basically just before the bavette (if positioned from mouth to tail).

Edited by identifiler (log)

im sorry lesley ,my fries are way better.....i was there friday ,and im sorry but i never even got my appetizers,we were sitting there and then the mains came out ,i never make a fuss,we ate them,then i left,oh yeah the best part was they charged me for my apps my mains and two glasses of wine when i only had one...........i never got my apps nor did anyone even ask or actually know or care..

Seriously, they are not even in the same categorie (the fries), no-where-near... this is why I really think the kitchen has changed their fries between what Leslie had and what we both had... You did mention superb as a qualifier... there is just no way... reguardless if they are compared to another restaurant or not...

Sorry David, I had better fries at Holder. I don't know if they are the same anymore but they were great. The fries I had at Rosalie weren't as good. The big fries at Rosalie were soggy and unevenly browned, and there were many little fry bits at the bottom. In fact, I remember holding up a limp fry to show David who was standing near the bar (remember the dirty look you gave me David). Interesting to note at Rosalie, though, how much the fries improved with every visit. At my last lunch there the fries were very good. So my guess by now is that they must be out of this world.

But no kidding, the Holder fries I had on my first visit were brilliant. They were nice and thin, and all cut about the same size (I didn't get the impression they were pre-cut but had I known this would have turned into such an issue I would have analyzed them more closely). I see the Rosalie fries as more masculine and the Holder fries as more feminine (OK, this discussion is getting too deep).

I'm going to get someone else who has had both in on this discussion.

• 3 months later...

sorry it took me that long to reply----re juine 1 2003,the holders were my partners from may 11 95 to oct 31 95 famous referendem day,matteo st laurant was my fourth resto not counting my 5 years partnership with the wounderful angelo leone,roberto pesot and massimo lecas of buona notte, globe and megenta,the prevous ones were PORTA D"ITALIA on laurie,FIORE,FORCHETTA ROMANA and MATTEO"s catering which still excits till now.

went to holders tonight....not bad,nice decore but once i got to ROSALIE and had a glass of wine with david mcm after i didn "t even remember that i was at HOLDERS.....

Edited by mastermatt78 (log)

Yeah, once you have a glass of wine with David, you forget a lot of things. :wink:

I liked Holder, and I had good food there, from appetizers to desserts. Service was another story. :rolleyes:

But I liked the room, the high ceilings, all the space. It feels like a French brasserie, even if the menu isn't really aiming in the same direction.

Oh and BTW, last time I ate at Rosalie, the fries were quite lovely. :smile:

• 1 month later...

I was at Holder this past Saturday night. Thought the food was excellent. The saganaki and ouzo appetizer is incredible. I had the steak and fries and thought they were excellent as well. And I found the wait staff to be efficient, smart, friendly and full of good cheer. I will be returning.

Apparently the place is doing quite well and the service is now stable (much like the food). So I will also return soon. The menu simply has to get smaller I think, but there is definitely the possibility of having a very nice dinner to a quick lunch fix there. I think this is why it works out for them. Last review I saw described the fries as perfect and below, readers comments describe the as mediocre. Same thing for the duck magret, some days dried up, some days perfect...