• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003 BEARDIES

The whole ceremony will be aired on A&E, I believe this Sunday

Actually, the A&E special is to air on June 28th.

This was my first time attending the ceremony, but I cooked for the reception last year. Additional congratulations to José Andres (the Steve Klc connection) and my own boss Takashi Yagihashi. I was glad to see Hiro Sone grab the award for California, too.

Yes, the affair was long and boring, but my peeve... I wish the presenters were able to correctly pronounce all of the nominees' names... there were more than a few that made me wince.

Balthazar? And I thought all the beautiful people had made it to Olives.

And Tony, every time I saw you, you appeared occupied, and thus I didn't get a chance to say hey. That, and I forgot the secret eGullet handshake...

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Hee. It just occurred to me that a few readers might not get the "JJ Hunsecker" reference, who although fictional was NOT a nice man. I think Mr. Bourdain gets some extra points for using this persona for his diatribe. I mean if you have to be pissed off, you certainly should be man enough to not excuse yourself from the rant.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Sorry I missed you at the journalism dinner, Fat Guy.

Sorry you were robbed!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sorry I missed you at the journalism dinner, Fat Guy.

Sorry you were robbed!

Thanks, and same to you. But I wasn't robbed at all. St. Louis Post-Dispatch has three times my resources, and Judy Evans is a friend and a really good editor. If I'd been beaten by another section with a one-person staff and no space, I would have felt robbed! As it was, I knew I wasn't going to win, so I could sit back, relax, enjoy the wine and clap for a lot of people I know and genuinely respect, like Lee Dean.

Another Beard event no one has mentioned, by the way, was the welcome party at Artisanal. They had wheels of eppoises that were like swimming pools. I know what my next wet dream will be about.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

THOMAS KELLER, wandering alone and largely unrecognized through the crowd much of the evening made

That's a shame. It's one thing to enjoy being anonymous while in the general public, but to be a person of his caliber in excellence and be unrecognized among your peers... Da bastards! :shock:

Years ago I used to be known for doing a few things well. Mostly guitar playing. It was always nice to show up at a jam or a party and not be recognized. Keller might have dug it. Nice to go places and not have everyone coming up to you and telling you how much they're into what you do.