• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce Jacqueline

polly

I have been trying to track down a recipe that a chef I used to work for made, called sauce Jacqueline.

It was based on a reduction of fish stock and cream, and flavoured with carrots (and very small amounts of ginger and corianded seed).

It was pale orange and incredibly delicious.

I have found many references to it on google, but they are all on restaurant menus, with no recipes.

Is anyone able to help me out?

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I have been trying to track down a recipe that a chef I used to work for made, called sauce Jacqueline.

It was based on a reduction of fish stock and cream, and flavoured with carrots (and very small amounts of ginger and corianded seed).

It was pale orange and incredibly delicious.

I have found many references to it on google, but they are all on restaurant menus, with no recipes.

Is anyone able to help me out?

I checked; Escoffier, The complete guide to the art of modern cookery, and it's not in there.

I checked; The Escoffier Cookbook, A guide to the fine art of french cuisine, and found a 'jacqueline consomme (page 209).

"With a small spoon, cut out from some carrots twenty-four little balls, which should be cooked in the consomme. Prepare two baba-moulds of royale with cream.

"Put into the soup-tureen the carrot balls and the royale cut to the shape of pastils, one tablespoon of peas, the same quantity of very green asparagus tips, and one tablespoon of rice.

"When about ready to serve, pour one quart of boiling chicken consomme over this garnish.

I checked; Le Repertoire de La Cuisine, and it's not in there.

I checked; Herring's Dictionary of Classical and Modern Cookery, and it's not in there.

I checked; Mastering the art of french cooking--volumes one and two by Julia Child and it's not in there.

I checked; Sauces by James Peterson, and it's not in there.

Rather than you sit there waiting for no response, I thought I'd pass along my search failures.

Grrr.... If you find it, pass the recipe on this mysterious sauce along. I'd be curious to its origin.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I also cannot find it in any of the classic texts, or even more obscure ones such as Andre Simons "Dictionary of Gastronomy" or Cracknall and Nobis "New Catering Reportoire".

Looking at the description, with flavours of coriander, ginger and carrot I would think it has quite a modern origin. I can't think of any classic sauce which features ginger or coriander, except curry or sweet ginger sauce. Also it is cream based which puts it before the nouvelle cuisine, but after flour-based sauces, so I guess it is from the 60's - think of all those carrot and coriander soups.

If that were so, then the might the Jacqueline be Jacqueline Kennedy (Onassis)?

JG has a recipe for "jacqueline broth" in cooking at home with a 4 start chef. But it uses neither chicken stock nor cream, but does have carrots.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Ian McAndrew includes a recipe for Sauce Jacqueline in his book "Feast of Fish", which he states is loosely based on Louis Outhier's sauce of the same name.

I can't reprint the recipe here but it includes red pepper, carrot, onion, garlic, celery, fennel, butter, paprika, sugar, white wine and fish stock.

WOW, Thank you all for your searches and information.

I too, found other recipes that featured carrot with the name jacqueline, and I'm beggining to think the chef may have made the sauce up and named it b/c of the base ingredient.

Andy, I'll track down that recipe you mentioned, it sounds good.

Thanks again for the input, I'll tell you if I come up with a good replica of the sauce.

Polly

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

In "Le Repertoire de La Cuisine" there is a soup jacqueline briefly described as: Fish veloute, garnished with carrots, peas, asparagus heads, rice and cream.

And in "Herring's Dictionary of Classical and Modern Cookery," Chicken consomme garnished with braised fancy cut carrots, pastilles of cream royal, peas, asparagus tips, rice, and chervil.

I'm guessing this is the source of your sauce.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Traditionally dishes with carrot are called Crecy after the battle of Crecy which took place in a carrot field on 26th August 1346, . The Black Prince, a boy of sixteen won his spurs, and took the crest and motto of the slain Bohemien king - three ostrich feathers and the motto "Ich Dien", which they have to this day. It follows that on the 26th August the Prince of Wales is invariably served carrot soup, aka Potage Crecy.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

• 8 years later...

Louis Outhier ran the kitchens at 90 Park Lane, London as one of his first international consultancy's. The Sauce section was run by a chef called Christopher Suter, Christopher became the Head Chef at London's 'Menage a Trois' where I supported him as one of the Sous chefs. As I ran the sauce section Louis Outhiers recipes were passed to me. I was also lucky enough to meet Mr Outhier in his Restaurant L'Oasis in La Napoule.

Later in my career I became Ian McAndrew's head chef and helped him work on his book 'A Feast Of Fish' the recipe you refer to was one taken from these original recipes, myself and Ian also developed a mussels dish from another recipe which was a spice mix Mr Outhier used.

FOND JACQUELINE

6 large carrots

1 onion

1 bulb garlic

1/2 celeriac

brunoise all

1 1/2 bottles sauternes

1 1/2 pints fond blanc

llb best quality unsalted butter

Sweat vegetables. Add Butter and sauternes, fond blanc.

Bring to boil. Reduce by a third. Pass. Refrigerate, Leave butter crust on top to develop.

Use to "mob" sauces.

SAUCE JACQUELINE

1 Small ladle of fond Jacqueline

1 Teaspoon Vodka

4-5 Lumps of unsalted butter

Juice ½ 1ime

Make up as for a beure blanc, but using the fond Jacqueline as the reduction Gives a good yellow colour. with a well-balanced sweetish flavour, particularly good with John Dory and mango or Foie Gras.

I hope this helps

shaun