• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Joe Shanghai

sara

I thought it might interest some to know that discussion of New Joe Shanghai, a great new place at 915 Arch St, has been banned on Chowhound. There has been much discussion of NJS in recent weeks on Chowhound, and I was inspired to go check it out last night. I thoroughly enjoyed the inventive delicious food and cheap prices, and when I got home I decided to post a lengthy review (which unfortunately I didn't save).

Well, this morning I discovered my post had been deleted. I posted again, asking why, and I got the following email:

" I wanted to explain to you why your post was removed. We no longer allow new discussion of New Joe Shanghai due to some troubling posting patterns (from other parties, not you, BTW). Chowhound is a moderated forum, and we reserve right to set boundaries and delete freely without notice or explanation."

I emailed back and asked for clarification, but was refused any further elaboration:

"No, sorry, we can't clarify, and we neither post announcements nor allow

the issue to be discussed publicly on site."

Anyways, given that NJS cannot be discussed on that site at all anymore, I was hoping to open up a thread on it here. (Yes, it all begs the question of why I ever returned to that site following the Katie Loeb incident in the first place, but let's just leave that alone for now--I've learned my lesson.)

SO--- has anyone been recently? What did you have?

I enjoyed the following dishes w/ two friends:

1. Pork soup dumplings

2. Scallion pancakes

3. Shredded turnip short cakes

4. Crispy duck

5. Braised Pork Shoulder

6. Sauteed Mushroom w. Cabbage Heart (baby bok choy)

7. Shanghai Style Fried Flat Noodle

Total bill was $60 w/ tax and tip!

The dumplings and noodles were delicate, the braised pork a rich revelation, and I am completely addicted to those turnip cakes now.

They are still BYOB (waiting on a liquor license) but we brought beer, and the service was very friendly and prompt. We had a great time.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sara, there are really two issues being discussed here. Let's separate them for the sake of clarity and organization. We already have a thread going on the media board about the Katie Loeb incident and the Chowhound-related portions of your post here would fit well on that thread. In terms of discussion of the restaurant itself, let's not clutter it up with discussion of the media issues. This thread here should be about the restaurant only. Okay?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fat Guy-- No problem. I was just giving background on why I started the thread, and I am much more interested in hearing more feedback about the restaurant than I am about discussing Chowhound. If you want to make it into two threads, just tell me how. Otherwise, I honestly just wanted to hear about others' experiences there and what dishes to order, as I'm not that familiar with Shanghai food.

Tommy--Are you seriously accusing me of being a shill?? I totally don't know where that's coming from--I have no affiliation w/ either the restaurant itself or even the industry, I'm actually just a grad student who loves to eat out. It amazes me that someone interested in the dishes served at a restaurant would automatically be a shill in your book. What's your rationale? (Actually, I couldn't care less-I just wanted to talk about the food)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Tommy--Are you seriously accusing me of being a shill??

Sara,

After you've seen a few more of his posts you'll realize that 99.9% of Tommy's posts are humorous, ironic, or both. But serious, nah. :wink:

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Welcome to eGullet, Sara.

It's just Tommy's way of saying hello. Tommy's humor, like dark beer, often takes a few exposures to appreciate. The longer some are on the site, the more they savor it. Others prefer Diet Coke.

A while back we had an extended discussion of a Chowhound-bonified shill, Katie Loeb. That's the reference, all in good humor.

I'm planning on heading to New Joe Shanghai soon. Sounds well worth the adventure to Chinatown.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

me of being a shill??

Sara,

After you've seen a few more of his posts you'll realize that 99.9% of Tommy's posts are humorous, ironic, or both. But serious, nah. :wink:

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

me of being a shill??

Sara,

actually, i'd take that fraction out a couple thousand more decimal points.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

while i appreciate the explanation of my post from the several who've offered one, i don't think it's necessary as i included a :laugh:. certain emoticons need no explanation, and if they do, well then i don't know what to tell you, aside from "don't take yourself too seriously, 'cause if you do, no one else will."

cheers.

If you want to make it into two threads, just tell me how.

We already have two threads: this one for discussion of the restaurant (I hope, someday, when all the throat clearing has concluded), and the pre-existing thread for discussion of any ancillary Chowhound issues (if any, and it's probably not worth the time since that ground has been covered so well already).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

So, here's a question. Is this place related (common ownership, spin-off, or whatever) to Joe's Shanghai in NYC? Can anyone who's been to both compare them? How do the soup dumplings stack up against each other?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Sara:

I see the Stalinistas are still in residence (or shall I say entrenched) at Chowhound. Have we learned nothing from our prior experiences??? Need I say more... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Is this place related (common ownership, spin-off, or whatever) to Joe's Shanghai in NYC?

I asked them the question, and they replied in the affirmative, but I suspected that they didn't understand my question.

I've been 5 or 6 times, always for the SDs. The pork rock; the crab are average. On that "other board", people complained about the quality of their Amero-Chinese offerings. I've always stay away from the Kung Paos, and in NJS I'll ask 'em, "Point out something that's typical Shanghai that you like," and I've never gone wrong. I also like the flat Shanghai noodle (a large dish and a bargain @ $5). Also, on the "other board", someone was talkin' about hairy crabs, which are apparently in season in the fall. Can anyone comment on these creatures?

But, it's the SDs that keeps bringin' me back. I can't stop recommending NJS to friends.

I'm really interested in the turnip cakes, Sara, perhaps you'd be willing to describe them in a little greater detail? How they were prepared, shape, flavors, delicacy, etc? What is it about them that hooked you so?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve, The turnip cakes (there were two) were a little larger than 1.5 inches cubed, and consisted of shredded turnip mostly. I liked the 'shredded' texture, and they were a bit sweet, which i thought was odd but really liked. I'm trying to think of something they reminded me of, but I am drawing a blank. It's interesting, now that you've made me think about it, that I had such a liking for something but can't quite explain why. I'll have to go back and eat more!

Also, I was lucky to go with someone who knew Shanghai cuisine well and ordered the meal in Chinese. I asked her to recommend some traditional Shanghai dishes for my future visits, and she suggested the following:

--any and all noodle and dumpling dishes, as the kitchen showed real talent with dough

--shredded dry bean curd w/ veg

--spicy pickled cabbage

--jelly fish

--fish filet w/ wine sauce

--chicken w/ ginger & scallion sauce

--lima bean salted vegetable and pork w/ bean curd tripe

--chinese celery, dry bean curd w.pork

--sauteed string bean

--sliced braised beef noodle soup

--pork chop noodle soup

-- William Grimes

• 2 weeks later...

Can Someone supply address and phone number of the"New Joe Shanghai " in Philly.

Any other Chinese recommended.? Have wheel chair bound person with me.

Thanks

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

215.238.3996 915 arch, between 9th-10th

there are no steps up there.

same for tai lake on 10th between race and arch, and ocean city on 9th between race and vine.

all in chinatown, of course.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Viejo--Did you go? What did you think? I am headed there tomorrow night to try some new dishes.

-- William Grimes

Sara

Sorry never made it. Too much Upenn crap to take care of and I got very "majadero". Ended up eating at the bar at Striped Bass. Not too shabby. As always SB does good food and service.

By the way my kid thinks she met you. I confirmed she met Katie. Kid still in Philly now bar tending rather than serving. That being the case I will be returning. Actually early Sat to get the last of her junk out of the dorm.

Thanks for asking.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Sara

Sorry never made it.  Too much Upenn crap to take care of and I got very "majadero".  Ended up eating at the bar at Striped Bass.  Not too shabby.  As always SB does good food and service. 

By the way my kid thinks she met you.  I confirmed she met Katie.  Kid still in Philly now bar tending rather than serving.  That being the case I will be returning.  Actually early Sat to get the last of her junk out of the dorm. 

Thanks for asking.

Viejo

where is she tending?

we can conceivably drop in later tonight after greek festival. we are looking for a place to treat alcohol abuse.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Herb

Sent you an e-Mail

Viejo

Viejo--met me?? Where?

Sara

-- William Grimes

Well, I made it to NJS tonight. I was ALL excited because I was going there with six people. And more people means more new Shanghainese dishes to try, right?

Well, maybe. Unfortunately, my dinner companions, who are wonderful people, witty conversationalists and a pleasure to be around, were a little less adventurous than I'd like. This was one of those occasions where sitting on my left shoulder was the little food-obsessed devil Andrew, who whispered, "Insist on ordering for the table!" And on my right shoulder was the little polite, it's-okay-to-take-me-out-in-public angel Andrew, who insisted, "Easy there, Sparky! Don't be bossy!" And the good Andrew won: I shut my big mouth... but made sure I ordered last.

Our table ordered, in order:

sweet and sour chicken

kung pao chicken

moo shoo chicken

crispy noodles with (you guessed it) chicken

prawns with chili sauce (not chicken! whoo hoo)

Batting cleanup, I followed Sara's lead and ordered the braised pork (probably should have ordered a veggie, but I really wanted to try that pork), an order of soup dumplings, and the turnip cakes.

The soup dumplings were terrific. Fun to eat, too. The turnip cakes are like nothing I've had before: a ball of shredded, spiced turnip surrounded by a flaky pastry crust.

Of the chicken dishes, the kung pao was surprisingly good. The sauce has some wine in it; something I'd never encountered.

The prawns were huge-- like small lobsters. I don't think we got the right order: this sauce didn't have chilis in it, but was very smooth and delicate.

Sara's description-- "rich revelation"-- is a good one for the pork. Braised long enough so that it falls into chunks with just a little cutting, but with still enough texture to be interesting. And those really deep flavors that only come from long slow cooking.

Good stuff. And there's a lot on the menu I still want to try. Anybody who's planning to head over there, let me know: I'd like to give those turnip cakes another go-round...

I did takeout from NJS on Sunday evening. I had the soup dumplings, the turnip cakes, and the beef noodle soup (had to try some more of their noodle dishes).

Unfortunately the food sat for nearly an hour in the car and at home before I got to it, some things suffered a bit.. most notably the soup dumplings. It's not surprising that their wrappers were a bit mushy, but what did surprise me was the oddly sour taste to the broth inside this time. It tasted somewhat off--not nearly as good as last time.

The turnip cakes were also different from last time--honestly, I don't think there was a pastry crust around the shredded turnip last time, or it was a flaky crust, rather than this pretty solid one. There definitely wasn't a coat of sesame seeds on the bottom either. Still good, but not as good as I'd remembered.

Sadly, I also wasn't thrilled w/ the soup. There was very little broth (maybe it got absorbed while sitting out?), some of the pieces of beef were hard and mysterious--couldn't chew through--and the noodles weren't great. However, I think I'm just not that into this particular soup-- I had a similar one at Goody's in Chinatown (NYC) and didn't love it. Should've ordered something else this time.

Anyways, I still think NJS is a great addition to Chinatown, and I'll head back soon for more--I'd like to try those prawns. Tho I wonder if they have them salt -baked--I love that.

-- William Grimes