• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Diner -- Oradell, Bergen County

menton1

It's interesting, that just one year ago this place generated so much interest and fanfare here on the NJ Egullet. Now, it seems to have fallen off the map. No one, it seems, is even fazed about the ownership change, and what that means. I'm putting this on top of the board again in the hope that SOMEONE here that raved about this place last year will have some info on the new proprietors.

quickly reviewing this thread, about 6 people in total went to "The Diner", and less than 100% seemed to think it was worth returning to.  :blink:

But YOU were one of the people raving about the place!! Have you been to the new incarnation?

As Rachel said, we haven't been there in a long time. Once John stopped giving it his personal attention, we noticed an immediate drop in food quality.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

But YOU were one of the people raving about the place!!  Have you been to the new incarnation?

part of the point was, it hardly struck me as "so much interest and fanfare." i had a good burger there. how many times can i post that or return for that burger in one year? well, twice, iirc.

but no, i haven't been there in about a year or so.

Edited by tommy (log)

In re reading this thread, I think it's fair to say there was a good deal of praise and enthusiasm for this place. It also seems that a place like this needs its customers to return on a regular basis. The fact that it fell off the radar screen is a good indicator of why they sold off the place after less than a year. The Italian-American restaurant next door seems to be slipping as well. They finally put up a cheesy cheap sign. Looks like they might go out as well.

We had breakfast at the diner today. The new cook is making better omelets. I had a greek omelet this morning and it was very good. Didn't get any home fries. My husband had the pancakes and they were nice and dark the way he likes them and the bacon was good and crisp.

Service could have been better. Had to wait a while for the coffee and the refills were very slow coming.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde