• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint Exposed!

larb is good.  larb is healthy.  i suspect that one could lose lots of weight by eating only larb and sashimi.

Varmint,

I was thinking about your non-diet yesterday as I was preparing a very typical Japanese meal for dinner, many Asian salad style dishes are made with no oil. Larb being one example as well as the Japanese aemono and sunomono dishes. They are contain almost no carbs so are good for those on a low carb diet. I wonder why these kind of dishes aren't showcased more in "diets"?

For some good ideas check out the Japan board! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

and for some *more* good ideas, ask me. :biggrin:

Oh yeah?

Think you know more than the Japan board?! :angry:

and for some *more* good ideas, ask me. :biggrin:

Oh yeah?

Think you know more than the Japan board?! :angry:

i know from larb. this i know for sure. :biggrin:

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

Kristen, you'll probably want to check out Tommy's larb thread: Clicky Persnicky

I did have larb for lunch. Quite average. Too much palm sugar.

I had a fairly small (compared to what I used to eat) plate of pasta with tomatoes, garlic, capers, and feta. I had a small scoop of Ben & Jerry's "One Small Whirled" ice cream for dessert. Mrs. Varmint had her 3 scoops!

Mrs. V also is finally aware of the non-diet, but not of this thread. She's not an eGulleteer, so it may be quite a while before she learns of it.

Weigh in is still tomorrow! Then it's off to my firm's retreat, where I will probably lose all self control. I guess it's OK to take a step backwards every once in awhile. I doubt I'll post an "I Love You Guys" thread like Suzanne, however (although I do!).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I guess it's OK to take a step backwards every once in awhile.

Absolutely! It's more than okay -- you won't stick to your eating plan otherwise, Varmint. An occasional lapse never hurt anyone; self-control run amok is another thing altogether.

Kristen, you'll probably want to check out Tommy's larb thread: Clicky Persnicky

kristin knows from larb too.

been to that thread more times then I am going to admit to.

Actually it is the only thread that I am subsribed to! :biggrin:

Love that thread, I recant all I have said, Tommy is a genius! :biggrin:

I started this thread on Monday, May 5. At that time, I weighed 228 pounds. As of this morning, 11 days later, I weigh 220 pounds. Eight pounds -- cool! And this is without even trying! No major changes. I've had barbecue, hot dogs, burgers (ok, it was a ground chicken burger), pizza, pasta, fried catfish, ice cream, bagels, and everything else that might be bad for you. I've cut out a lot of bread from my routine and some other items that were just fillers. I'm eating less, but I'm getting full more quickly.

I'll start exercising again on Monday, which will help out, too. This has been fun, and I'm pretty damn committed to making this a complete lifestyle change (except for when I go to NY in September, of course!).

Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

By the way, I'm not going to have one of our Friday bagels today, as I made myself a raspberry and banana smoothie this morning. Those suckers are good, easy, and pretty damn filling, too.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Nice work, Varmint!

I just wish it didn't seem like it's so much easier for guys to lose weight *sigh*.

Care to share your secrets for the raspberry-banana smoothie? My girls sometimes like to have them for breakfast but it's usually a hit or miss affair as to whether they come out delicious or yucky.

Nice work, Varmint!

I just wish it didn't seem like it's so much easier for guys to lose weight *sigh*.

Care to share your secrets for the raspberry-banana smoothie? My girls sometimes like to have them for breakfast but it's usually a hit or miss affair as to whether they come out delicious or yucky.

I have a lot of excess weight to lose, so just getting below the "obese" level should be fairly simple. What I don't know is the weight where I'll level out at by maintaining this routine. It might be 210 or 195 or less than that (god, I'd have to buy clothes if that happened). I'm fairly confident that my "maintenance weight" will still be 25 pounds more than what I should be, but I'm not about to do anything dramatic here.

As far as the smoothies are concerned, I threw a couple of ripe bananas, some non-fat vanilla yogurt, and a hefty amount of cold raspberry compote into a blender with about a dozen ice cubes and buzzed it for a couple of minutes. It's certainly a high-carb breakfast, but it just seems to make me feel better than if I had a bagel and cream cheese.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Last post for a couple of days on this incredibly dramatic thread. I had a salad with feta and pieces of fried chicken. Ranch dressing. Low fat? Not on your life, but tasty.

I'll be in the world of non-computers until Sunday afternoon or evening.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hey Varmint, have you ever tried freezing the bananas in some plastic containers? I started doing this when I wanted a less 'icy' shake, and it works great. You do have to slice the frozen bananas somewhat, but it's thick and tasty. And I add skim milk too (the only kind I like).

Just for the record, I use the word diet for anything I consume, not a weight loss regimen. My diet is awful. My diet is well balanced. My diet is packed with vegetables. Well, I never say that one, but you get the picture. Depending on how you look at it, diet isn't a bad word.

Debauchery. That's something not good for a weight-based lifestyle change. Ah, who gives a rat's ass, anyway?

This past weekend was my firm's annual retreat, and it's really just a glorified drinking event. We arrived at the beach on Friday and hit the bar at 6:30. Bombay Sapphire and tonics were tasting mighty good to me. However, I managed to exercise restraint at dinner. I ate no bread, no dessert (as it looked very mediocre), and very little potatoes. I managed to suck down a couple of glasses of red wine.

After dinner was when it got really ugly, as we hit the karaoke bar. You know, there are few things scarier than a bunch of drunk lawyers taking over a karaoke bar. I started drinking really "girly" drinks: lemon drops, a taste of a friend's cosmo, before finally settling on Absolut Currant and tonic. Not my proudest moment. It was worse when I sang the Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" (it has only 4 notes in the entire song, so it was right in my range). The bar closed before I got to sing Elvis' "Suspicious Minds." That was very fortunate. The best thing about the day was that I drank a glass of water for every glass of something alcoholic. That was a very smart move.

The alarm startled me awake, and I actually felt better than I typically do on a retreat Saturday, when I feel as if I just crawled out of the primordial soup. I had a buffet breakfast of coffee, coffee, some eggs, potatoes, and bacon, and lots more coffee. Oh, and about 16 bottles of water.

Turkey sandwich on the golf course for lunch. I walked rather than taking a cart. I don't know how I survived. Dinner was at a typical schleppy touristy beach seafood restaurant. Yuck. Fortunately, my whole roasted snapper was pretty good, served with lots of green beans. No bread. Several pieces of fried calamari. A pretty good pinot grigio went with that. No dessert (I really am filling up much more quickly). We then hit the bar again, but karaoke is Friday night only. I drank more beer that night.

Sunday's breakfast was a repeat of Saturday's. No lunch. Dinner was special for the kids: Spaghetti and meatballs. I had a fairly restrained serving and only one piece of garlic bread. I later had a small scoop of chocolate raspberry ice cream.

If it weren't for the alcohol, I would have been fine. I think, however, that I may have put on a pound. And damn, it was worth it!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It was worse when I sang the Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" (it has only 4 notes in the entire song, so it was right in my range).  The bar closed before I got to sing Elvis' "Suspicious Minds."  That was very fortunate.

I've seen this guy do karaoke, and it is not pretty.

Whew!  I misread the title.  I thought that it said "Varmint Exposed Himself!", in which case my inevitable response would necessarily have been, "AGAIN?"

Been using those binoculars outside my house again, Bill? Looks like that restraining order isn't that effective.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've done a piss poor job of keeping up with my "diary" this week. For the 3 of you who have been following it, I apologize. It's been a pretty busy week, and my eating habits haven't been the greatest this week.

Monday: Breakfast was a couple slices of toast. Lunch was a good salad with chicken and a funky mustard-based dressing. Dinner was very late to to my daughter's ballet recital -- I had 2 very small pasties. I wasn't really hungry.

Tuesday. Breakfast, toast. Toast, toast, toast. Boring!!!! Not all that healthy!!!! But easy!!!! I didn't get to eat much lunch because my 4 year old son managed to get his cornea scratched from an inadvertent poke in his eye with a friend's finger. Thus, I was with him for a few hours in the middle of the day. I managed to eat some fresh pineapple and a package of cheese crackers. We then had an elementary school musical to attend. My 7 year old played a grinning, hissing snake. Very cute and convincing. However, we ate late again. By then, I was starving, so I had some hot & sour soup and hunan chicken. I ate very little rice.

Wednesday: Multigrain Cheerios for breakfast. I then broke down and had a chicken burrito for lunch. I was with a crowd, and it was calling me, luring me to the cliffs of obesity. I enjoyed it very much with no remorse, thank you very much! I had some stawberries as a late afternoon snack. I then made Mrs. Varmint and me a vegetable plate: tomato and avocado salad with lime, EVOO, sea salt, and fresh mint; green beans; boiled new potatoes with a dab of homemade dilled mayo; chanterelles sauteed in EVOO with a touch of salt. We split a bottle of some white Languedocian wine. Pretty good stuff.

I had a mango, tangerine and blueberry smoothie for breakfast today. I have a lunch meeting, so I'll probably get stuck with a bad sandwich.

I'm guessing that I may not have dropped much weight this week, particularly with all that I drank at the retreat this past weekend. I'm still not exercising, as the throat hasn't improved, and my cough has worsened. I'm going to the doctor today or tomorrow to figure out what the hell is going on.

WEIGH-IN TOMORROW!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites