• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint Exposed!

I've found that a lot of times if I thought that I had lost over the course of a week but my weigh in didn't show it, that the next week would be a bigger than expected week.

Plus you had the right attitude about it. Hit the treadmill instead of the Donut Shop.

Bill Russell

Because I've been a bit too busy of late, I haven't been posting my daily eating diary. However, I do want to say that I'm staying on course. Last night, for example, I had pan roasted wild king salmon and roasted cauliflower, with a banana for dessert. I had a small flank steak sandwich for lunch with about 10 triscuits. Breakfast was a raspberry smoothie.

My parents were in town for the weekend, but I managed to exercise and to eat fairly well (including some Ben & Jerry's cashew caramel ice cream). I didn't stuff myself.

My pants are getting too big. One of my belts is on its final notch. I have much more energy through the day, particularly in the afternoons. I like this, and I'm hoping that I'll be right around 200 pounds or less by my 40th birthday in late September. Woo hoo!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Because I've been a bit too busy of late, I haven't been posting my daily eating diary.  However, I do want to say that I'm staying on course.  Last night, for example, I had pan roasted wild king salmon and roasted cauliflower, with a banana for dessert.  I had a small flank steak sandwich for lunch with about 10 triscuits.  Breakfast was a raspberry smoothie.

My parents were in town for the weekend, but I managed to exercise and to eat fairly well (including some Ben & Jerry's cashew caramel ice cream).  I didn't stuff myself.

My pants are getting too big.  One of my belts is on its final notch.  I have much more energy through the day, particularly in the afternoons.  I like this, and I'm hoping that I'll be right around 200 pounds or less by my 40th birthday in late September.  Woo hoo!!!!

Way to go, Mr. Varmint! You are totally going about this with the right attitude and a refreshingly realistic approach. We're with you . . .

My pants are getting too big.  One of my belts is on its final notch.  I have much more energy through the day, particularly in the afternoons.  I like this, and I'm hoping that I'll be right around 200 pounds or less by my 40th birthday in late September.  Woo hoo!!!!

Just in time for your pig pickin'.

Weigh in was 214. That's a drop of about 2 pounds from last week (probably a pound and a half) and a total of 14 pounds since I started. I'm doing my interactive Italian dinner today, so I won't be online much.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This was (and continues to be) the week from hell. My weight is still at 214. I've managed to exercise nearly every day, but I haven't eaten well at all. I've had couriers bring me lunch three times this week, and I can assure you it wasn't good. My Italian dinner last Friday easily represented 2 full days of food. I also made a bunch of Thai food for friends the other night. Too much food. Thank god for the exercise. Anyhow, I must get back to my shackles of lawyerdom.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now down to 212 for a total weight loss of 16 pounds to this point. Slow and steady. I'm not as draconian as I was when I started, but I'm very, very conscious of my portion size, what I'm eating, and how frequently. I'm pleased.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm now down to 212 for a total weight loss of 16 pounds to this point.  Slow and steady.  I'm not as draconian as I was when I started, but I'm very, very conscious of my portion size, what I'm eating, and how frequently.  I'm pleased.

Great news, Mr. Varmint! Slow and steady weight loss is the absolute right way to go about the matter; it's healthier, you don't feel deprived and thus likely to backslide, and you're apt to keep those pesky pounds off permanently.

Please continue to keep us posted . . .