• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint Exposed!

Quickly, now:

Dinner last night was an egg white omelet with tomato, salami, gruyere, and garlic. Then a banana.

Breakfast today was a banana.

Lunch was with Kathi Purvis again. We had Chinese, which included baby fish with peanuts (these were tiny whole minnows fried to a crisp, served with peanuts and some chilis -- this would be a good bar snack with beer); shredded pork with chili pepper, scallions, green pepper, celery; crispy salty whole shrimp (I couldn't eat the heads); and we ordered green beans with shrimp paste, which I didn't try because it had an amazingly powerful stench of stinky socks. We then went to Murray's barbecue, where I had about a third of a barbecue sandwich. We then hit the Hayes Barton Pharmacy to split an incredible piece of coconut cake. I ate about a third of that. I'm still ridiculously stuffed.

I fear tomorrow's weigh-in after what I ate today.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hey Varmint! I haven't seen it written here, but I'm afraid what you eat doesn't show up physically for a couple of weeks. Maybe someone has some concrete information on that. One bad thing about bingeing. Stuff youself with chocolate or whatever, weighing yourself everyday thinking 'Cool! I'm not gaining weight!, and all of a sudden bang, you've gotten fat.

I don't think your lunch today will have any affect. :smile:

Hey Varmint!  I haven't seen it written here, but I'm afraid what you eat doesn't show up physically for a couple of weeks.  Maybe someone has some concrete information on that.  One bad thing about bingeing.  Stuff youself with chocolate or whatever, weighing yourself everyday thinking 'Cool!  I'm not gaining weight!, and all of a sudden bang, you've gotten fat.

I think this is true. It's a kind of inertia.

It's been one month and one day since I started this adventure. I've had more than my share of gelato, beef, chinese food, thai food, bagels, and everything else I might crave. I've had baked potatoes, crab cakes, salami, lots of cheese. I've drunk wine, beer, and way too much liquor at our retreat. Before this week, I haven't even thought about exercising. Now I'm just going on a 50 minute walk.

And I've lost 12 pounds.

I started at 228 and am now down to 216. My pants are getting a bit large. I've got more energy (when I'm not hung over). This shit is pretty cool!

Thanks everyone for your support.

Oh, I had a beer for dinner, as I was just too stuffed from lunch. Plus, I needed it, as I didn't get home until after 9 PM for the third night in a row. Working can really suck, you know???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh, I had a beer for dinner, as I was just too stuffed from lunch.  Plus, I needed it, as I didn't get home until after 9 PM for the third night in a row.  Working can really suck, you know???

Someone I know has the following philosophy regarding work: for most people, it gets in the way of what they'd really rather be doing.

Congrats on your weight loss. It goes to show that you don't have to starve yourself or give up everything that tastes good in order to lose weight. :biggrin:

Varmint,

I have been following your lead and though I don't have weight to lose, I have a body that is in desperate need of toning. I have been exercising 5 to 7 times a week now and yesterday I pulled out the pilates video that I had bought back in December and was still in its original wrapping.

I have now just learned how not flexible I am, I fear I have a long way to go! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I have now just learned how not flexible I am,  I fear I have a long way to go! :biggrin:

Gee, I thought all that thong underwear would have helped!! :wink::wacko:

As far as the lifestyle is going, I had a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast. For lunch, I had barbecue, 1 hush puppy, slaw, fries, and a piece of coconut chess pie. One of the finest lunches I've had in awhile! Read about it here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...=97&t=22259&hl=

For dinner, I had 8 shrimp, 3 beers, and a couple ounces of pasta salad. It was my sister-in-law's 40th birthday, and the menu was oysters fixed 3 different ways. Oysters are the only food that makes me violently ill.

Thus, I'm about to have a 4th beer now that I'm back. Lots of exercise this weekend!!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Wow, I've got some ground to cover. Saturday morning, for some strange reason, the planets were in that alignment that caused me to crave children's super-sweetened breakfast cereal. I gave in to temptation and ate a small bowl of (gasp!) Apple Jacks. Man, that was great (with apologies to Tony the Tiger). We were out running errands, and so we had lunch at a Tex-Mex place, and I had a big-ass chicken burrito. I could tell this day wasn't going to be the most health conscious one I've ever had. Nevertheless, I didn't snack (as I was too stuffed to do so). It seems that my stomach has definitely shrunk, as it takes far less food to fill me up. Dinner that even consisted of lots of celery, carrots, and a couple slices of my homemade pesto pizza, the same things the L'il Varmints ate. Mrs. Varmint was off running in a 5K. I did manage to put in a solid half hour on the treadmill – not even my kids wanted to touch me after that.

Sunday could have been very bad, but it turned out OK. The kids wanted Krispy Kremes (they want them every weekend, but I give in once every other weekend), so I got them but ate nary a bite. Of course, I made banana pancakes for Mrs. Varmint and myself, but I only ate 2 (she ate 4!!!). For lunch I had some cheese and grapes. I took the oldest L'il Varmint to the farmers market, where we sampled some peaches, blackberries as big as my thumb, and some sort of Mediterranean phyllo-based pastry containing a vanilla and hazlenut custard. It was awesome. I then made what the children requested for dinner: sloppy joes, green beans, home cut French fries, and apple slices. We went out for an hour long walk after dinner. I had a tiny scoop of orange gelato that evening.

Breakfast this morning came from the farmers market: a peach and blackberry smoothie. It was pretty damn awesome! I had a large salad for lunch, and I'll likely have a vegetable plate tonight consisting of corn, limas, sautéed green beans, and red-skinned new potatoes. I love the summertime!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've started to get cravings the past few days. It might be for some potato chips (or a bag), or almonds, or half a box of triscuits. I haven't had to worry much about this, but it's getting pretty intense. My task is to give in somewhat to the craving, but not to overdo it. Don't eat the bag of chips; just eat a handful. That's the same with super-sweet breakfast cereal, chocolate, salami, or anything else that might not be the healthiest thing in the world. Help me through this phase, people!

Anyhow, I did not eat that vegetable plate last night. Instead, I had a pasta dish of egg, garlic, parmagiano reggiano, basil, and broccoli. That entire dish cost us $1.75 for both of us. We also had some ultra-cheap sicilian table wine that cost a whopping $4.65, so the entire meal, including a bottle of wine, was $6.40. That's a bargain, friends!!! I had a small scoop of orange gelato. No more ice cream is left in the freezer.

For breakfast, I had two slices of toast with just a touch of butter. Lunch was a portabella mushroom sandwich with some orzo salad. For dinner, I made Mrs. Varmint and me tilapia with a tomato, lemon and pesto sauce (actually, it ended up being heavy on the EVOO, but otherwise light), fresh lima beans and fresh corn, and fresh spinach sauteed with a touch of garlic. It was a solid meal. I had a yogurt for dessert. I'm craving triscuits right now for some reason. I think I'll be able to resist the urge, fortunately, or give in for 1 or 2!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've started to get cravings the past few days.  It might be for some potato chips (or a bag), or almonds, or half a box of triscuits.

Are you dehydrated? You seem to be craving salt. Try drinking some more water and maybe have some almonds. They are good for you and will help satisfy your salt cravings.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I've started to get cravings the past few days.  It might be for some potato chips (or a bag), or almonds, or half a box of triscuits.

Are you dehydrated? You seem to be craving salt. Try drinking some more water and maybe have some almonds. They are good for you and will help satisfy your salt cravings.

I haven't maintained my 7 glasses of water routine. Maybe I need to get back on that.

We were out of many of my routine breakfast foods, so I broke down again and had a small bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats. I used to eat 2 bowls of those for breakfast.

For lunch, it was a leftover sloppy joe, some tortilla chips, and a granola bar. Our house is lacking fruit right now, which will be corrected quite soon. I just finished an iced coffee sweetened with Equal and using no-fat half and half. Pretty tasty.

Dinner will be a salad tonight (if that), as I won't have time for anything else (including missing my monthly basketball game again!!!).

Oh, and I slept until 5:30 this morning. I just couldn't get up to exercise at 5:00. I'll make sure I do it tomorrow.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Help me through this phase, people!

Mr. Varmint, at the risk of sounding egregiously California hippie-dippy: embrace those cravings and learn to love 'em!! Now I'm not advocating that you pull out all the stops and go on a Triscuit binge; however, those cravings won't go away unless they're seen to. You can't sweep them under the rug, you know -- they'll just poke their ugly heads up the moment your back is turned. SO, perhaps you might consider adapting the following method of dealing with the munchies, as developed by Socrates in order to face his own little demons (very similar to yours, btw).

He hied hisself off to the store and purchased a set of baby dishes (mini plate, bowl, etc.), which he has reserved exclusively for craving emergencies. If the salami and Original Wheat Thins beckon, he'll cut a few (5-6) thin slices of sausage, get a smallish handful of crackers, and plate it all on the little dish. He leaves the box of Thins in the kitchen (ditto the salami), returns to his desk, and enjoys his fix. He does not allow himself seconds, and has been rigorously disciplined about it. And he still continues to lose weight.

Sorry to go on and on. Just don't be hard on yourself, and yes, make sure you drink plenty of water. I agree with LEdlund that you're probably somewhat dehydrated; I know how hot and humid it gets back there in summer!

Edited by Xanthippe (log)

Thanks, X. I ended up eating 2 triscuits and moved on. No biggie. I didn't have any cravings last night. I had a bunch of leftover blanched green beans and sauteed them with garlic, oyster sauce, fermented black beans, chilis, and cashews. It was tasty. I then had 2 pieces of salt water taffy. :raz:

This morning's breakfast consisted of 3 small peaches. Very fresh. Very delicious. I did my morning walk, and I picked up the pace a bit. I'll try to drink a boat load of water today.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This morning's breakfast consisted of 3 small peaches.  Very fresh.  Very delicious.

Isn't summer fruit the best??!? I think you'll find your weight loss accelerating over the next few months, as you eat more of the season's bounty. And perhaps you're like me in that really hot weather tends to dampen my usually-voracious appetite.

Oh, yes -- summer vegetables are wonderful, too. :wub:

Good idea about the litre bottle, elyse.

Great lunch today: Roast beef and bacon sandwich with jalapenos, lettuce, tomato, pepper jack. Plus some waffle fries. Hey, I got the 5 inch instead of the big 10 inch sammich!

Dinner will be something light, as,

WEIGH-IN IS TOMORROW!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

First, the bad news. For the first time since I started this thing, I did not drop any weight from the preceding week. The good news is that I didn't gain any.

Actually, if I really crossed my eyes funny, the scale may have read 215-1/2, but I'm calling it 216. I then proceded to spend 40 very agonizing minutes on the treadmill, and when I got off, I had sweated away 2 pounds. However, I'm still listing my weigh as 216. After all that I ate this week (including the ol' chicken burger with blue cheese last night + tomato, avocado & feta salad), that's not a bad result. This will be a very active weekend. I expect to be to 215 or 214 next Friday.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Don't forget that when you are losing weight, your body will occassionally "plateau, as it re-adjusts to the new thought of getting and needing less food.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.