• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint Exposed!

Walking is the most amazing exercise. When I was losing all my weight, the only exercise I did was walk. Not only did it help me lose weight, but it was the best stress reliever. I never got up at 5, not with a small child to take care of, but when dinner was done, I left the child with my husband and walked for at least 45 minutes with my walkman on. When I came back, I was so calm, but energized. You go Varmint. You are going about this all the right way!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

218. That's now 10 pounds without a speck of exercise. I just got back from a 40 minute walk, so let's see how that affects things. Time to make the kids' lunches, shower, take the 2 little ones to day care, and then to work. It's bagel day, so I'll have one of those for breakfast today. Indian food for lunch. Don't have a clue what'll be for dinner.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, thanks for this thread. I'd never have started it myself but I'm finding it enormously encouraging. I'm around your age and I've been advised to lose weight because of hypertension. Have managed 11 lbs in 5 weeks. I agree with almost everything almost everyone has said so far. Smaller portions, exercise, not denying oneself, only eating good food. I've done the 'lose 14 pounds in a week' type diets before and in the long-term they don't work. It really is all about thinking carefully about what goes into your mouth. Keep it up and thanks for the encouragement by proxy!

Can you move to NC and be my personal coach, Xanthippe?!

Aw shucks, Mr. Varmint, sir -- I'm immensely flattered by your suggestion! :blush: You know I'd move to North Cackalacky in a New York second if it were possible; I love that neck of the woods sumpin' fierce!

That said, and at the risk of sounding like a dad-gummed motivational poster: You really are approaching this weight loss program in the best, most "adult" way possible. Of course you can't deprive yourself of the foods you love, nor should you; that half piece of caramel cheesecake (or nerissa's second slice of Maggie's Lemon Curd Tart With Blackberries) should be an incentive, not a "cheat" as some would have it. If you say you'll never, ever have "bad" food again and will only eat mashed yeast, tofu and lentil sprouts, you'll eventually fall off the wagon. And you'll fall very, very far . . .

Keep on doing what you're doing. Ten pounds -- you go!

You should have seen all the Indian food I just had for lunch.  I'm full as a tick on the belly of a hound dog in the middle of the summertime.

I think that you should start carrying a digital camera and taking a picture of everything that you eat. Then, you can post the pictures.

(yes, I was kidding (a little bit))

First everyone wants pictures of me. Now pictures of my food. And I don't even have a digital camera!!!

For all of those who are interested, I just drank a delicious iced coffee. I'm still incredibly full from lunch, however.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I had a burger with blue cheese and ratatouille (sp) for dinner. One beer, too.

By the way, I think many people look at this thread only because of its title, only to be tremendously disappointed.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I had a burger with blue cheese and ratatouille (sp) for dinner.  One beer, too.

Was the ratatouille (your spelling is correct) actually on the burger, Varmint, or served alongside?? Either way, your dinner sounds good!

By the way, I think many people look at this thread only because of its title, only to be tremendously disappointed.

:laugh::laugh:

I am enjoying it!

No disappointment from me! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Isn't the language we use when talking about food interesting when we're trying to lose weight? We talk about 'cheating' and having been 'good' (i.e., not having eaten something which is high-calorie and therefore'bad'? I know there's a vast area of psychology attached to this subject but it's only really impacted me recently when I started hearing the things I was saying.

Let me start off with this: No weight gained even when I ate like a pig, including gelato in 3 out of 4 meals. Wow!

First, this was a crazy weekend. It was as busy as it could possibly get, including my having to cook a "meat and potatoes" type of dish for my father-in-law's 69th birthday.

Lessee, Saturday: Mrs. Varmint is getting into the smoothie thing, so we had the last of the season's strawberries. For lunch, I had a salami and tomato sandwich with a bunch of those barbecued soy chips. I don't recall who turned me onto these things, but they're really tasty (in a processed kind of way) and are remarkably nutritious. For dinner it was rib-eyes, baked potatoes, mozzarella and tomato salad, roasted asparagus, and lots of a super-Tuscan of a name that I can't recall. I had lots of feta in my potato. For dessert, my sister-in-law baked a 16 layer raspberry cake (made with raspberries from her back yard). My father-in-law wanted gelato with that, so we made a quick run to the gelatoria (which is just a couple of blocks from the hotel where you should stay for my pick pickin'). We got a quart of vanilla, a quart of bacio, a pint of coconut, and a pint of orange. I had a small slice of the cake, with coconut and orange gelato. I then passed out.

Sunday breakfast was coffee, coffee, coffee, and two eggs over easy with a single slice of whole wheat toast. We picked up a friend at the airport and then went straight back to the gelatoria (the friend's request). I had a salad with soprassetta and mortadella. I then had a scoop of caramel and a scoop of espresso gelato. Fortunately, I went on a long walk that morning, pushing the two younger L'il Varmints in the double jogger stroller. I then ran around the soccer field later that afternoon for L'il Varmint #2's end of season soccer party. The party then met at a local pizzeria where I had 3 slices and 2 glasses of ice cold Budweiser (pretty much the only way it's drinkable). Of course, our friend wanted some of that leftover raspberry cake and gelato, so I helped myself to an ultra-thin slice with a small scoop of bacio.

Amazingly, I didn't gain a pound over the weekend. That little bit of exercise helped. I'm back on my regular routine today, as I had a single slice of toast for breakfast (I was still full from last night). I had a salami and tomato sandwich for lunch, along with a bunch of grapes. I'm drinking an iced coffee right now, and tonight I'll make a steak salad for myself and a grilled tuna salad for Mrs. Varmint. Plus, I'll be up at 5 AM tomorrow for my exercise (which may only be a 45 minute walk, but it makes a big difference!).

OK, I believe I'm current. Any questions?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Plus, I'll be up at 5 AM tomorrow for my exercise (which may only be a 45 minute walk, but it makes a big difference!).

Exercise makes all the difference in the world. I can eat quantifiably large amounts of food, and not gain weight, as long as I regularly indulge in exercise.

I don't know about that 5AM thing.... that is the stuff that heroes are made of.

No, that is the stuff that parents of 4 L'il Varmints are made of!

you mean yours are still asleep at 5:00am? :shock:

why can't I get my 3 little ones to sleep past 5:30?! :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

No, that is the stuff that parents of 4 L'il Varmints are made of!

you mean yours are still asleep at 5:00am? :shock:

why can't I get my 3 little ones to sleep past 5:30?! :angry:

I'm getting tired just thinking about it! :raz:

How does Tony Randall survive??

Oops, I've been too busy at work this week. I've been craving a lot of my favorites, and because I'm so good at it, I've generally given in to those cravings. Not good at all!

Tuesday: I woke up at 5:00 AM for my 45 minute walk. It's amazing how dead a town is at that time. Toast for breakfast. Lunch was Chinese: Large hot & sour soup, Sha-Cha chicken (lots of veggies, some chicken), and just a bit of the brown rice they served with it. I ate the fortune cookie, of course. Dinner last night was orechiette with roasted chicken, roasted cauliflower, carrots, rosemary, garlic, white wine, and chicken stock. I had a small scoop of bacio gelato.

I had a banana and 1 scrambled egg for breakfast. Kathi Purvis and I went to lunch at the much overrated 42nd Street Oyster Bar, where I had a cup of seafood bisque, 3 hushpuppies, 2/3 of an icky crab cake sandwich, and about 4 bites of a dreadful cheesy, whipped potato dish. Oh, and a glass of sweet tea, too. The oysters are pretty good there, although!

I'll be working late tonight, so dinner may not even happen. I'm remarkably full from lunch, so that's a good sign.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites