• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harvest Vine

the vine must have been the place to go last week!

i was there on friday with a bunch of ladies. we sat downstairs at one of the large tables - i love that space. our service was terrific, and food & wine were wonderful. i also have to say that for 8 people who ate and drank a heck of a lot, it was relatively reasonable. standouts were the boquerones (cured in house), the venison, the scallops, the cheese plate (i know, but it was a *great* cheese plate) and the pine nut tart. i know we had a lot of other stuff, but i just can't quite remember all of it.

i think it's my new go-to for 6+ people.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

i was there on friday with a bunch of ladies. we sat downstairs at one of the large tables - i love that space. our service was terrific, and food & wine were wonderful. i also have to say that for 8 people who ate and drank a heck of a lot, it was relatively reasonable. standouts were the boquerones (cured in house), the venison, the scallops, the cheese plate (i know, but it was a *great* cheese plate) and the pine nut tart. i know we had a lot of other stuff, but i just can't quite remember all of it.

We went last Monday - still a fun spot for two to hang out at the bar for awhile. But downstairs actually looked like a nicer spot to dine. The scallops were my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

I must have gone the wrong week...

We were there earlier this week, and had as many misses as hits I think. It was my third time there so I know how great it can be (crispy-skinned suckling pig, where were you?). We had lots of different things, highlights being the venison (ridiculously flavorful), the cheese plate (it IS a good one), the foie with candied pumpkin, and desserts (coffee flan with chocolate base, fresh fruit tart).

The misses had mostly to do with salt, with dishes being salted almost to a distraction; too many, "wow, that's salty" instead of "wow, that's tunalicious!" I have a pretty flexible tolerance for salt, but for some people at the table, my "wow, that's salty" was their "wow, I don't think I can eat that."

We ordered both of the tuna courses; the cured tuna was salty (its cured tuna, what do you expect? I didn't expect it to be quite that salty, but fine, I can roll with it). The tuna with vanilla-infused oil I had had on a previous visit and had been delicious and mind-expanding; now maybe it's a bit of a one trick pony, I'm not sure (and it was a bit too salty)... for whatever reason, this time I just wasn't so taken with it. The calamari was fantastically tender, but a bit too salty. The duck was nicely cooked, but the sauce... a bit too salty. It was a pretty disheartening trend throughout.

Ah well. The service was good, the rioja was great, I've always enjoyed eating in the downstairs room, and you all have been recently with positive results. I'll just have to chalk it up to a "chef was craving salt" sort of night, and try again another time.

• 2 weeks later...

I walked by Harvest Vine yesterday hoping to stop in for a glass of wine and a bite, and they were packing everything into big moving trucks! Luckily, they're just going to be closed for a couple of weeks for a kitchen remodel.