• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Morimoto at Uwajimaya May 6

Another fab Chinese event taking place this week:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/books/120478_tl205.html

Edit: Okay, so it's really on Tuesday, May 6! Can someone please edit the subject line?

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I will trot on down there after work, but since She Who Must Be Obeyed is in on Tuesdays, I can't commit to getting there by 4. I'll try to find the other eGulleters in the crowd.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm going to try to make it to this. Anyone want to meet there?

According to the notice he has a new book out, but I couldn't find it on Amazon. Anyone know anything about the book?

I'm going to go. It's amazing how unemployment can open up your schedule so you can do anything at anytime.

Remember, everyday is Saturday!!!! :biggrin:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Be sure to bring you eGullet placard so we can find you in the crowd. :smile:

Err, umm, uhhh... I never got one when I signed up!

:shock:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Oooooh that!!!!! I got the flags hanging off my roof, and I used the egullet sign as a table cloth for a back yard table.

Drink!

Sweet! I can feel the love already.

edit: I wish it was Wednesday, I'll be down there already for the M's game. MsRamsey, pm mamster and he'll do it.

He's throwing out the ball for the game!

Hey folks, don't forget to compliment him on his winning a 'beardie' last night.

Best Television Special.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

Sweet! I can feel the love already.

edit: I wish it was Wednesday, I'll be down there already for the M's game. MsRamsey, pm mamster and he'll do it.

He's throwing out the ball for the game!

Tonight or tomorrow?

Anyone want to have dinner at Tropics post-Morimoto?  It's the Thai place a block away that has the $5 dinner special before 6pm.

Yes, I would.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Chef Morimoto was okay. I'm guessing there were about 300 people. He spent the first hour or so making four dishes using his new line of fusion sauces (Szechzuan/Italian). Not really cooking. I was on TV as I sat right across from the TV cameras.

His voice is higher when he speaks English and lower when he speaks Japanese. :blink:

In some ways he was very Emeril-like. But then I don't go out to see celebrity chefs too often so maybe it's a trade thing.

He was very open to taking questions and he made a comment regarding the judges. I probably have this wrong but the two female judges on the end, the food critic and the fortune teller (who I swear are the same woman) have different tastes. The food critic is from Southern Japan where they like their food lighter and more delicate. The fortune teller is from Tokyo where they like their food spicier and heavier. Again, I may be applying these comments to the wrong people/region. Anyway, he says he would find out who was judging and prepare his dishes based on those regional preferences. Gives him (and the other iron chefs) a competitive edge that I always suspected. :laugh:

Oh, someone asked if he was going to open a restaurant here in Seattle. He said, yes. But the manner in how he said it and his body language make me suspect that either he has no plans to, or he's planning on making a big announcement.

Regarding his new productline. He has three packaged sauces that are a fusion between Szechuan and Italian. :wacko: The three have the same flavor profiles, but different heat levels of: mild, medium/hot, and hot.

He has three bottled sauces that will be available in July. Sesame seed oil, chili miso sauce, and chili mayo sauce.

He has two bottled ale beers, hazelnut and soba. I don't know if these will be available nationwide, but they are produced by Rogue beers. Is this a microbrew in the PNW?

The autograph signing was the most disorganized signing I've ever seen. He was in the cooking demo area and they announced that the line to sign would be across the way in their little book store. Well a couple "It's all about me" so-and-so's pushed their way up to the counter to get an autograph. Many others followed. I decided to go for the book store figuring eventually the staff would take Morimoto over there. For the next 20 minutes they kept announcing that the line should be in the book store. Meanwhile, he kept signing autographs. The staff finally gave up and everyone ran for the demo area with yours truly near the back. An hour later I finally got his autograph but I couldn't get within 15 feet of the guy.

I hope the Uwajimaya staff has a debriefing meeting about what went right and what went wrong so they can learn from this experience.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

the two female judges on the end, the food critic and the fortune teller (who I swear are the same woman)

I thought this for a long time too!!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

He has two bottled ale beers, hazelnut and soba. I don't know if these will be available nationwide, but they are produced by Rogue beers. Is this a microbrew in the PNW?

Out of Oregon. Very good beer.

http://www.rogueales.com/

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

mamster, MsRamsey and I met there, but we didn't know what the hell Really Nice looked like, and we didn't want to look like idiots wondering around yelling "Really Nice!", so we didn't get to meet him. :sad: We didn't stick around and watch for very long, since it was very crowded and it didn't look like he wasn't going to do any real cooking. We did score some "Giant Rainbow Pocky" though. :biggrin:

By the way, dinner at Tropics was quite good and really cheap. pineapple fried rice, basil rice noodles with chicken, and cinnamon duck in green curry - mango sticky rice and fried bananas for dessert. $10 per person including beverages and tip.

mamster, MsRamsey and I met there, but we didn't know what the hell Really Nice looked like, and we didn't want to look like idiots wondering around yelling "Really Nice!", so we didn't get to meet him. :sad:

Well, you know what Brad Pitt looks like...

I look nothing like him. :laugh:

Drink!