• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competition Round Three

The Golden Chopsticks? White Castle? Rosalie?

Write a short,over-the-top rave review of the restaurant nearest your house. Could be McDonalds or Trio. But it must be the closest, your entry must be no more than three grafs, and it must demonstrate conclusively that the restaurant is better than Alain Ducasse.

Lucky me. Let me describe WD40:

You can find WD40 on the first floor the Speedway filling station on Route 59. The high-concept design, aisles of motor oil and automotive parts, is a witty commentary fondly alluding to the background of GM Samir Jamsatjee. He has never forgotten his early influences when he owned every gas station within twenty miles. And he has learned much from the philosophy of Craft: Every diner asssembles his own meal. To sit at the chef's table, next to the lottery machine, is to truly appreciate the genius of the man. Plus, every diner nukes his own selection to order.

I chose the hors d'oeuvres from the Morrow's Nut machine: freshly roasted cashews, presented in their own paper bag. The chef swears The French Laundry's cornets are a direct swipe. My companion felt that the popcorn lacked sublety, but at 49 cents a bag, it was good value. I chose the fusion jalapeno hot dog with saurkraut as my plat principal, my companion raved about his reheated sausage and egg sandwich. The palate cleansing sorbets, which were offered in six flavors, have been renamed Sno Cones, probably due to the current widespread midwestern Francophobia .

Talented pastrychef Little Debbie, did not disappoint. We shared her signature desserts: Swiss Roll Cakes and the divine Zebra Cakes. A sixty-four ounce hazelnut cappucino paired brilliantly with the desserts.

Washrooms: First Floor Accessible.

Deadline: Midnight May 11th. In a time zone of your choice.

Edited for the stuff I forgot the first time.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A little note of appreciation here for all those PMs saying that this is a great topic.

I truly hope that one of you lives next door to an Olive Garden!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I've had an entry or two via PM, and of course, 'S'OK. But the idea is to post to the thread. We release all the entriesafter the winners are announced.

Does no one live within a few doors of Otto?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Update: We've done some internal reorganization of this forum. All entries should be posted on the round-three competition entries thread.

This thread here is for discussion of the competition -- no entries here, please.

Thanks, and good luck!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 4 weeks later...

I sorely want to present a Golden Gully and a Tshirt for this competition. It's easy. What is the nearest eatery to your home? And what about it would make Alain or Jean-George gnash his teeth and worry about his stars?

I need five more entries. Let's make Jason cough up another Tshirt.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 years later...

Oh dear! I so would llike to enter, but I'm in Saudi. Would it be safe to review a restaurant in Bangkok? It's sort of just around the corner?

I sorely want to present a Golden Gully and a Tshirt for this competition.  It's easy.  What is  the nearest eatery to your home?  And what about it would make Alain or Jean-George gnash his teeth and worry about his stars?

I need five more entries.  Let's make Jason cough up another Tshirt.

• 3 months later...

OK, I'm confused here.

It looks like the current contest is a recycling of a golden oldie.

What is the current competition and when is the deadline?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm hurting to have missed this one... nearest to me is a HomeTown Buffet... the opportunities were endless.

Perhaps this topic can stage a revival as a new contest sometime?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.