• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fromage a Trois

Fresser

If you ask me today:

1. Really good, creamy Comte' cheese that remotely approaches the quality of what I ate at Grand Vefour last summer

That is really amazing, that Vieux Comte, wasn't it?

Fantastic! My 2nd- and 3rd-favorite cheeses during the cheese course at Grand Vefour were Roquefort (which I had never liked before my latest trip to France) and a Camembert-type cheese I forget the name of.

Michael aka "Pan"

a really good sharp cheddar

pecorino romano

gorgonzola (dolce)

At breakfast Saturday, after asking his girlfriend (?) what scallions are, the guy seated next to me (at a counter) asked the server what pecorino was!!!

Fourme d'Ambert (always)

Cypress Grove's Humbolt Fog or Midnight Moon (of late)

Queseria Michoacan's queso fresco (of late)

Michoacan. Cool. My sous chef is from there. Apparently only quality exports come from there.....

The absolute best taqueria in my area is owned/operated by a family from Michoacan. The food they serve totally rocks . . .

Runny-around-the-edges Humbolt Fog: yummmmmm! :wub:

Edited by Xanthippe (log)

Why did earler postings (yak?, polar bear?) remind me of the scene in Meet the Parents where Ben Stiller talks about milking the cats?

Oh yeah - Parmesan Reggiano, Cheddar and that port wine cheese that comes in the plastic tubs (I know, but its a habit I can't break).

Bill Russell

Just three?

really sharp cheddar

any goat cheese

gorgonzola

I've never met a cheese I didn't like, with the exception of those wanna-be cheeses, cottage cheese and ricotta, but I think perhaps I'm turned off by the texture before I even get to the taste.

After all this time, I still have not been able to convince my boyfriend that cheese, a few olives and some bread is a meal.

I'm assuming anyone who takes the time to answer a favorite cheese poll can understand!

Just three?

really sharp cheddar

any goat cheese

gorgonzola

I've never met a cheese I didn't like, with the exception of those wanna-be cheeses, cottage cheese and ricotta, but I think perhaps I'm turned off by the texture before I even get to the taste. 

After all this time, I still have not been able to convince my boyfriend that  cheese, a few olives and some bread is a meal. 

I'm assuming anyone who takes the time to answer a favorite cheese poll can understand!

Don't forget some wine with that meal, Cecil -- and I also enjoy a variety of radishes with butter and salt as a go-with.

If you like any and all goat cheeses, I highly recommend you give the aforementioned Cypress Grove products a try. My two current favorites are Humbolt Fog and Midnight Moon; both are truly wonderful.

1) Cabrales -- thereby covering the goat/sheep/cow categories

2) Boucheron-- preferably left in the fridge to age for a month or two to maximize the thickness of the ripe part... too young and it is a little chalky.

3) That German Brie-esque thing with the mushroom bits in it. yummy.

With certain St Marcellins and Castello Blue as runners up.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

1. reggiano.

2. tournevent chevre frais

3. i remember serving a great three year old cheddar while i was working at med , but cant remember more about it. also, this cheese from mony laurier, in quebec, but cant remember what it was called either, smells to the high heavens, though... mmm...

bleu ermite is also quite nice

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Yak?

The animal or the gagging gesture?

The animal. Google it, Bux. I've never had it myself.

Yak cheese is pretty good. When fresh, it's semi-hard, yellow, and mild flavored. Lots of little small holes. It reminds me of . . . I can't think of it. As it ages, it dries and firms, but not unpleasantly so, and the flavor intensifies. Good source of energy on treks.

Yak cheese is pretty good.  When fresh, it's semi-hard, yellow, and mild flavored.  Lots of little small holes.  It reminds me of . . . I can't think of it.  As it ages, it dries and firms, but not unpleasantly so, and the flavor intensifies.  Good source of energy on treks.

Is all yak cheese the same? Like cow cheeses run the gamut from brie to cheddar to swiss to jack, etc. Sheep cheese comes as roquefort, feta, peccorino romano, etc. In France they have millions of cheeses, but goat cheeses are all "chevre." I never quite got that. I'd point to a cow cheese on the trolley in a good restaurant and they'd tell me the name. I'd point to six goat cheeses, all of them very different looking and when I ask what they were, each one was a "chevre." I"m sure Abbott and Costello would have had a field day.

Where does your yak cheese come from? Is it imported?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

You owe it to yourself to go to southern Italy, find a nice sheep farm and have some freshsheeps-milk ricotta - it is no wannabe.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yak cheese is pretty good.  When fresh, it's semi-hard, yellow, and mild flavored.  Lots of little small holes.  It reminds me of . . . I can't think of it.  As it ages, it dries and firms, but not unpleasantly so, and the flavor intensifies.  Good source of energy on treks.

Is all yak cheese the same? Like cow cheeses run the gamut from brie to cheddar to swiss to jack, etc. Sheep cheese comes as roquefort, feta, peccorino romano, etc. In France they have millions of cheeses, but goat cheeses are all "chevre." I never quite got that. I'd point to a cow cheese on the trolley in a good restaurant and they'd tell me the name. I'd point to six goat cheeses, all of them very different looking and when I ask what they were, each one was a "chevre." I"m sure Abbott and Costello would have had a field day.

Where does your yak cheese come from? Is it imported?

I got my yak cheese when I was in Nepal. I'm not sure if it's all the same, but all the yak cheese I can recall were very similar. It was probably a simple, all-over cheese. Perhaps analogous to Indian paneer. I wouldn't be surprised if elsewhere Nepali/Tibetans were doing something else with it. I'm certain that in K-du someone is making blue yak cheese, etc.

Oh, and while I'm here:

Head

Toe

Butt.

Edited by Stone (log)

Quickes Cheddar

Grana Parma

Mimolet Vielle

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Goat, sheep and cow. The next one is a very distant fourth.

Yak?

God..... I was just trying to be funny..... yaks are yuks..... no?

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Goat, sheep and cow. The next one is a very distant fourth.

Yak?

God..... I was just trying to be funny..... yaks are yuks..... no?

Actually, female "yaks" are properly called "naks" (Sherpa) or "dri" (Tibetan). So there really is no "yak cheese." It's nak cheese. But you can read all about it at www.yakcheese.org.

Here's a shot of a ripening room:

fc33768e.jpg

Edited by Stone (log)