• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fromage a Trois

Fresser

Why only three?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Well, it might not be gourmette enough, but a good strong cheddar is my favorite by far. Many many lunchtimes have been satisfying because of it. Followed by The Regg, most indispensable, and any one of a variety of triple cremes, Pave d'Affinois, Marcellin, along those lines. Goat cheeses too, for number four.

Why only three?

Goat, sheep and cow. The next one is a very distant fourth.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Why only three?

Agreed. And I can list at least twenty of each that are indispensible.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yak?

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Yak?

Polarbear.

Very difficult to milk.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Yak?

The animal or the gagging gesture? :biggrin:

I've never had yak cheese. I suppose it's possible to make cheese from the milk of any mammal, but before this becomes a joke fit for preteenagers, the only other cheese I've had is water buffalo or whatever they make that good mozzarella from.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yak?

The animal or the gagging gesture?

The animal. Google it, Bux. I've never had it myself.

-- Jeff

Gorgonzola

Mozzarella di Bufala

Aged Parmaggiano/Reggiano

If I could only have three.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If you ask me today:

1. Really good, creamy Comte' cheese that remotely approaches the quality of what I ate at Grand Vefour last summer

2. Parmegiano reggiano

3. The wonderful extra sharp cheddar I get at the Farmers' Market at Union Square (New York, NY) from that guy from Pennsylvania.

If you ask me at some point in the future, I may have tried other cheeses and decided they were better than these.

I did enjoy Pecorino Toscano very much when I was in Siena. Excellent with prosciutto e melone.

Michael aka "Pan"

Well, it might not be gourmette enough, but a good strong cheddar is my favorite by far.  Many many lunchtimes have been satisfying because of it. Followed by The Regg, most indispensable, and any one of a variety of triple cremes, Pave d'Affinois, Marcellin, along those lines.  Goat cheeses too, for number four.

I'm pretty similar.

Grafton extra old cheddar (or well kept Neil's Yard Montgomery, even better)

Parmigiano Reggiano

Boucheron (althought at the right level of affinage, I'll choose St. Maure).

Lately, I've been wowed by the humboldt fog too. When it gets runny around the edge. UMMMMMMM!

Edited by Beachfan (log)

beachfan

If you ask me today:

1. Really good, creamy Comte' cheese that remotely approaches the quality of what I ate at Grand Vefour last summer

That is really amazing, that Vieux Comte, wasn't it? I visited 4 cheese stores trying to get one as splending, and while Marie Cantin's came closest, none were like it.

beachfan

Well, it might not be gourmette enough, but a good strong cheddar is my favorite by far.  Many many lunchtimes have been satisfying because of it.  Followed by The Regg, most indispensable, and any one of a variety of triple cremes, Pave d'Affinois, Marcellin, along those lines.  Goat cheeses too, for number four.

I'm pretty similar.

Grafton extra old cheddar (or well kept Neil's Yard Montgomery, even better)

Parmigiano Reggiano

Boucheron

beachfan