• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venus Seafood in Boston

In the early '90s I used to go to a place called Venus Seafood in Boston. It was just across the water from South Station near the Computer Museum. I was a poor graduate student at the time and Venus offered the perfect combination of being accessible by the T and being inexspensive. There was seafood at one end, beer at the other, and rows of picnic tables in between.

I understand that Venus was forced to close when a bridge extending off I-93 was built right through it. It's probably a long shot, but do you have any idea if they relocated or re-opened under a different name?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Dear Vengroff--

I sent you a long (brilliant!) reply earlier this week, but it was early in my navigation of the web site and apparently it didn't post. So sorry!

No, I never heard of Venus and unfortunately have no information on whether it might have relocated. I searched in vain for a real chowder house or clam shack in the Boston area, and came up empty handed - though I certainly could have missed something good. I heard that the No Name used to be great, but had slipped in recent years, so I didn't visit it. So many great places have gone the way of the Venus - doomed by developers, either governmental or capitalistic - and its especially likely to happen, of course, in an urban area. That's one reason I wrote this book - to champion the cause of the little guys who hang on in spite of those kinds of obstacles!

Legal Seafoods, Joyce Chen, and that curious diner in a railcar were the staples when I was at MIT lsate 60's.

Later Biba's dining rooms. Durgen Park (beans and Indian Pudding) for tourists.

Are they still serving I wonder?

Edited by jackal10 (log)