• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Sky Cafe--Montclair

Rosie

Have been to Blue Sky 4 times and was never impressed. It wasn't bad but the combinations in dishes just didn't always come together.

Ate at 28 a couple of times and it was good, not great but would go again. Although I haven't been for about 3 years.

Corso was good also but not enough for me to take a 30 minute ride, when I can be in the city in 40 minutes.

edit:  damn, dbrociner is chef david!  i had no idea.  :angry: clever bastard.

Tommy, I am not chef David. But I wish I could cook like him, and move to Maine: at least for the Summer. And while I can be clever, somehow I don't think thats what you had in mind. :cool:

edit:  damn, dbrociner is chef david!  i had no idea.  :angry: clever bastard.

Tommy, I am not chef David. But I wish I could cook like him, and move to Maine: at least for the Summer. And while I can be clever, somehow I don't think thats what you had in mind. :cool:

oh poo-poo. i misread and read many things into your post. my bad. that type of thing seems to be going around the internet a lot lately. my apologizes.

David (whose already hating himself for this posting)

I hate when chef's spy under a different name. I knew you were a shill!!! :biggrin:

I'll let you know about a Giants ticket. Someone always gets f****d up on Sat night.

Be ready for a early Sunday morning wakeup call.

• 4 weeks later...

In a Star-Ledger article today, Chef David Joseph blames the lack of parking as a major factor in the restaurant's closing. Customers don't want to drive around and around and around looking for a space.

I feel for him on this point. Parking in Montclair is terrible, and it's been terrible for 20 years. The town makes all kinds of promises, but still approves housing which will contribute more parking headaches. Then, it ropes off more space for resident only spaces

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

In a Star-Ledger article today, Chef David Joseph blames the lack of parking as a major factor in the restaurant's closing. Customers don't want to drive around and around and around looking for a space.

I feel for him on this point. Parking in Montclair is terrible, and it's been terrible for 20 years. The town makes all kinds of promises, but still approves housing which will contribute more parking headaches. Then, it ropes off more space for resident only spaces

The old Hahne's has stood there as a rotting eyesore after it closed over 15 years ago. It could have been razed, you could probably have had a parking lot for 500 cars there.

The old Hahne's has stood there as a rotting eyesore after it closed over 15 years ago. It could have been razed, you could probably have had a parking lot for 500 cars there.

Or, in Blue Sky's case, a government building sits directly across the street, with its 60 car lot chained off except M-F 800 am to 430pm. It doesn't sound like a big deal to leave the lot open, make it available until 11 pm, then a tow away zone until 8am

Having the spaces available to diners and theatergoers (Indigo Smoke is across the street, as are Deja Vu, Natraj and other Indian places) would make a world of difference.

I suspect Montclair makes a substantial amount of its revenue from parking tickets, so it really isn't in their interest to solve the problem

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I suspect Montclair makes a substantial amount of its revenue from parking tickets, so it really isn't in their interest to solve the problem

That would show not only stupidity on their part, but a complete lack of understanding of city planning. The revenue from parking tickets will never compensate for the business lost to the community. If the businesses do not succeed, they will not pay the real estate taxes, sales taxes, and the trickle down effect of failed businesses affects all merchants and the desire of people to come and spend their money in the town.

I prefer to think that the Hahne's situation was just caused by an inertial attitute on the part of the city, the real estate might have been tied up in court, or something. If someone was more proactive they probably could have at least knocked down the building and put up parking. But more parking brings in a lot more revenue than does parking tickets.

But more parking brings in a lot more revenue than does parking tickets.

supposedly the town is planning to make the parking lot behind Church St into a parking deck, but i've been hearing that for a while and so far, nuthin'... the hahne's situation is just ridiculous, tho. montclair already has a great bookstore and 4 movie theaters, but think of the music store that space could accomodate!! :sigh:

They've been talking about a parking deck on the Church street lot since 1997, at least. The residents and merchants don't want to lose their parking for 3-4 years while it's built. I can understand that.

Even the things they have done, like that extended lot from Fullerton to Seymour and down to Willow is largely resident permitted only.

rancho gordo

Went for diinner at Blue Sky last night as they will be closing after Sat. night. Had oysters, pate and a salad for appetizers. Entrees were panko crusted soft shell crabs, braised veal and prune ravioli (fabulous), and cod with spring vegetables. Shared a chocolate bread pudding for dessert. Have had many meals at Blue Sky as well as wine dinners and parties. Chef Joseph's cuisine will be missed. Bye-Bye Blue Sky. Wishing you the best in Maine.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Had a wonderful dinner at Blue Sky's closing last night. They had a special limited closing night menu, and David was indeed cooking in the kitchen. The menus were signed by David and Sherri, and our friends who got married there kept them. At the end of the meal, Sherri was nice enough to give them their water glasses (which have the Blue Sky logo and stars on them) to keep. We signed the email and memory book, and started planning a weekend trip to Maine once their new place opens!

In our group of four, we started with lobster and crab "BLTs", mixed baby greens with almonds, dried cranberries and warm goat cheese, and a special New England Clam Chowder with large chunks of potatoes and other vegetable and finished with open clams on top. For entrees, two had the special braised lamb shank simmered for five hours in a wine and tomato sauce and served with garlic smashed potatoes and haricot verts. One had the 20oz strip steak frites, and I had grill prawns and diver scallops in a heavenly sauce with haricots verts, grilled asparagus and roasted tomatoes and onions (it came with an asparagus risotto, but I'm doing a modified Atkins and was being as good as I could!). Dessert was their bread pudding, creme brullet and strawberry shortcake with good coffee and cappucino.

With good friends living in Montclair, and me working in the town, I will definitely miss this place. Our server said the new place isn't opening until September, and they've offered to hire the entire wait staff which is nice.

By the way, we drove past Corso, which I believe was supposed to open Friday, and they still have the blinds drawn and the plywood door with the sign up--not sure when they're planning to reopen now.

Casey