• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rasam

If you email me at chef@suvir.com, I can send you several recipes.

Rasams are a favorite in my friend and family circle.

MTR is a great brand. I can even email you a recipe for a rasam powder I make at home. Easy to make and even better than MTR. :smile:

P2, a thousand apologies. Total brain ummmm ... blip.

Here it is. From Dakshin

Lemon Sized piece of tamarind pulp

2 cups hot water

20-25 garlic cloves

2 tsps oil

salt, curry leaves

Paste -

2 teaspoons oil

4 red chillis

3/4 tsp black peppercorns

2 teaspoons coriander seeds

1 teaspoon bengal gram dal

1 tsp cumin seeds

curry leaves

Tarka -

2 tsps ghee

1 tsp mustard seeds

2 red chillis

Heat oil for paste in a frying pan - add chilli, peppercorns, coriander seeds, dal and saute for a few minutes. Make into a paste with the cumin seeds and curry leaves.

Soak the tamarind in the hot water for 15 minutes and strain. Toss the oulpy bits. Place juice in a saucepan, add salt, curry leaves and simmer on low heat until the raw smell of tamarind is gone

Saute the peeled garlic in 2 tsps oil until golden. Add to the simmering tamarind juice and boil until flavors are blended. Add water if needed.

Pour hot spluttering tarka on top.

Rasam is closest to what we could consider a soup. It is more like a consomme.

It is drunk by itself in Southern Indian homes or even with rice or idlis (steamed lentil and rice cakes). Some people also have it with vada (fried lentil and rice dumplings, shaped like donuts, most often served with sambhaar).

Ben, if you want, email me and I can send you recipes for rasam that use Tamco (tamarind paste) and still taste just as authentic as what I grew up eating in India.

Also, Dakhsin is a great book. The recipe Indiagirl has posted is from that book. I can well imagine it being very tasty.

The recipe Indiagirl has posted is from that book.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade her, but we need to be careful about copywrite folks :smile: . is this recipe verbatim from the book?

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

No Marlene. I did modify the language and even the ingredients are not verbatim - I thought those were the rules, am I right?

also, i have a very similar recipe from my ma-in-law - it just didnt have exact quantities so .... I referred to the book

let me know if I'm not .....

No Marlene. I did modify the language and even the ingredients are not verbatim - I thought those were the rules, am I right?

also, i have a very similar recipe from my ma-in-law - it just didnt have exact quantities so .... I referred to the book

No that's ok. I just wanted the clarification before I put it into the archive and no one said that it had been modified. The Suvir said the recipe was from the book so I wanted to ask. It's fine as it is then :smile: Thanks!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Just tell me where I can get it :smile: I am challenged :wink:

anil

Indiagirl, does your mother-in-laws recipe call for similar amount of garlic? :unsure:

My recipe, from a family friend who is from Andhra, and whose family loves Garlic has significantly lesser amount of garlic and yet is very garlicky in flavor. Just wondering.

Also do you think the amount could have something to do with the size of garlic in India as opposed to here in the US? Our garlic here is rather huge. I find it too big at times and shy in flavor. What is your experience?

20-25 garlic cloves

I have just started making it, I know it's Saturday morning you are probably not on line. Believe me I love garlic, thought garlic was a bit too much.... it,s very very spicy hot

My breakfast menu for the day is as follows.

Rasam with medhu wada (An other recipe from a S.Indian Book)

Thanks Fun

Edited by funcook (log)

p2, me too

(that rhymed, can i be the resident poet, instead of the resident expert :laugh: much more comfortable with the former than the latter)

suvir, that's a good point about the size of the garlic being significantly larger in the us. my ma-in-law's recipe, as usual, omits quantities! i typically just wing it but did not want to do that in a recipe i was posting. so perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 the specified quantity.

funcook, i hope it was still ok enough to make for a good breakfast. apologies! medhu vadas with rasam sounds sooo good.

marlene, would it be possible to change the quantity of garlic in that recipe on the archive? make it more likre 10-15? thanks.

p2, me too

(that rhymed, can i be the resident poet, instead of the resident expert  :laugh: much more comfortable with the former than the latter)

Indiagirl

Thanks. You are the official resident poet. Atleast my daughter thought so too and she said, quote " who is this Indiagirl and where is the Indiaboy"

P2