• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Oysters

There are wonderful oysters from New England. Why do you think there seems to be a paucity of fried oysters, though? Because it's almost sacrilegious to cook a Belon? Or they just never caught on much in the region for historical reasons?

While we're at it, do you have any favorite fried oyster sources? Recipes for batters to use? (I prefer batter-fried to crumbed for oysters, myself.) Thanks, and have fun while you're here.

Dear Suzanne--

I've often wondered the same thing! And when I was researching The New England Clam Shack Cookbook I actually had a devil of a time finding places that sold any oysters at all - raw, stewed, or fried (or deviled, for that matter!) Do you think it has to do with expense? That maybe most of the good farmed oysters get shipped to Boston or New York restaurants? Maybe someone else has an opinion on this.

Wouldnt you use more or less the same batter you use for Fried Clams?

on pages 92-93 of the New England Clamshack Cookbook, her batter for the Fried Clams recipe calls for Evaporated Milk , Yellow Corn Meal and Cake/Pastry/All Purpose flour.

Brooke, is it ok if we post this recipe?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason--

Sure, that would be fine to post the recipe. It is definitely the coating I'd choose for oysters. But if Suzanne prefers a batter, I'd suggest whisking beer into a seafood fry mix, such as GoldenDipt (see my book, page 15) until it's about the consistency of ranch dressing. After dipping the oysters in the batter, let as much drip off as possible before immersing in the hot fat.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Golden Dipt Seafood Fry Mix can be found here on McCormick's web site:

Product Detail - Golden Dipt Seafood Fry Mix

NetGrocer.com has it for $2.49 a box.

Brooke, thank you so much for your responses. It does seem odd, since oysters used to be cheap cheap cheap.

Thanks also for allowing Jason to post the recipe. AND for your batter suggestion, which is probably the way I'll go. Fried clams need the crunch of cornmeal, but fried oysters are better with the contrast of a light, crisp crust over the melting mollusk, IMHO. And Golden Dipt is so easy to find!

We get our oysters by the half bushel from our oyster man is South Wellfleet, MA, so we are rarely without them, but few of them get cooked. When they do, it is usually in a stew or in devils on horseback. When the DO get fried, cracker crumbs are definitely the preferred breading.

Pat G.