• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobsters of the Rainbow!

Brooke,

I'd like to first thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. The absolute best time of my life was on a road-trip through Maine just last year with my girlfriend, partaking in all the "road/sea-side" lobster gluttony we could manage. It was incredible. Maine definitely has my culinary heart in its hands.

Anyway, I was wondering if you've had the pleasure of tasting (or even seeing) any of the rare colours of lobster, and if there are any differences in taste? I've heard of rare yellow, blue, white, and red (before cooked) lobsters. Have you experienced any of these rarities?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,

-Chris / pixelchef

Hi Chris--

Glad to hear you've been enjoying some of the under-appreciated pleasures of Down East eating!

No, I've never had the opportunity (not even the remotest desire, I have to confess) of sampling any colors of lobster except good old fashioned red, white, and green (that's the tomally, of course - another under-appreciated subject.)