• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Ottawa to Asheville NC

Jinmyo

A couple of riends will be driving from Ottawa to Asheville NC next Wednesday. Does anyone know of any amusing diners on the way? What is the best restaurant in Asheville for beef?

Thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The Grove Park Inn in Asheville has a steakhouse, I believe. The Grove Park is a great old hotel that usually has pretty darned good food. Another option is Il Paradiso. Both of these received Wine Spectator's awards for excellence. When I go to Asheville, I generally don't eat much beef, as this town has quite a bit more to offer. Hopefully, kpurvis may have some specific recommendations.

As far as diners are concerned, a lot of that depends on the route they'll be taking. Try to find that out for us, and we can come up with some suggestions, I'm sure.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My parents will be celebrating their 65th anniversary in October. We are planning a weekend at the Biltmore Inn, with dinner at the Inn on Friday and the Grove Park Inn on Saturday. Is anyone familiar with the Biltmore Inn restaurant?

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

I asked my friend and she didn't know the route. The driver is going to CAA to get a route this evening. Too late to be useful, I think.

Still, then: What's good in Asheville, Varmint? Or anyone?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Depending on their desires the Mellow Mushroom has great pizzas, calzones, salads and a superb selection of beers on tap. There is a great little Italian place in Biltmore Village if I can just come up with the name.

When I visited Asheville, I stayed at the Red Rocker Inn, in Black Rock (about a 15 minute drive from downtown), which serves some terrific country cooking. If your friends will still be in Asheville on Sunday, have them head over there for Sunday dinner: first rate fried chicken, pot roast, grits, biscuits, and so on. Nothing fancy, but as tasty a traditional Southern meal as you could ask for. Breakfasts are equally good; they also serve dinner on other nights, but I didn't try it.

Red Rocker Inn website

I've passed on this page before they left.

Thanks, all.

I might have missed the boat on this one...but:

For dinner:

Gabrielle's at Richmond Hill Inn (pretty biased about this one)

- fine dining, elegant atmosphere, excellant use of local ingredients

Reza's

- decent food, great prices, hip atmosphere

Note: I have not heard great things about Grove Park Inn in some time

For Breakfast:

Early Girl Eatery

- best breakfast in asheville, fresh ingredients, servers with great tattoos

Best of luck,

Perry

I might have missed the boat on this one...but:

For dinner: 

Gabrielle's at Richmond Hill Inn (pretty biased about this one)

- fine dining, elegant atmosphere, excellant use of local ingredients

Perry, Not to worry. This suggestion, at least, was posted in time, as you will see if you just scroll up a bit. :wink::biggrin:

So, why are you biased about Richmond Hill Inn?

I feel somewhat embarrassed from failing to mention the Richmond Hill Inn. This has been known as the best small inn in Asheville (if not Western NC or the entire state) for years. The cuisine at Gabrielle's is very well recognized as top-notch. I'm headed to the mountains for vacation in July, so it might be a time for Mrs. Varmint and I to get a quiet evening to ourselves!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 2 weeks later...

I really like a place in Asheville called The Greenery (http://www.greeneryrestaurant.net) . Sometimes they throw a few oddities your way, but it's a nice, sort of out of the way place that isn't overrun by people with lots of yapping kids (not that there's anything wrong with that)....

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

Careful about those comments about kids, Timothy. I'll sick mine after you.

For those of you who haven't been to Asheville, it's really a great destination. It has a great mix of the eclectic and the upscale. It's a beautiful town. Plus, the food scene is getting better every year.

Thank you. Sincerely, The Greater Asheville Visitor's Bureau.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites