• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DUMBO

pnapoli

• 5 months later...

superfine is a hip restaurant in the area, however, nearby are river cafe, bridge cafe and the chinese icecream factory:)

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

Patsy Grimaldi's, but be prepared to wait if you get there after 5 P.M. or so.

Grimaldi's (while excellent) is down under the Brooklyn Bridge, not the Manhattan Bridge (overpass). Is this areas considered DUMBO now? I always thought it was still part of B'klyn Heights.

Also, what exactly is the 'overpass'?

Grimaldi's (while excellent) is down under the Brooklyn Bridge, not the Manhattan Bridge (overpass). Is this areas considered DUMBO now? I always thought it was still part of B'klyn Heights.

Although I have only been resident in this city for a year this type of remark leaves me befuddled. Grimaldis must be all of 15 minutes walk from the furthest reaches of DUMBO. It is maybe 5 minutes walk from the St Annes Warehouse, the probable venue you are going to. Even though it is located it is in Brooklyn Heights, does that really matter?

Although I have only been resident in this city for a year this type of remark leaves me befuddled. Grimaldis must be all of 15 minutes walk from the furthest reaches of DUMBO. It is maybe 5 minutes walk from the St Annes Warehouse, the probable venue you are going to. Even though it is located it is in Brooklyn Heights, does that really matter?

Honestly I don't know which theater this show is at, I'm not the one making the plans. While, yes, it doesn't matter exactly where Ghrimaldi's is in terms of neighborhoods, that wasn't really the point of my post. I truly do appreciate the suggestion of going to Ghrimaldi's, as I welcome any and all suggestions.

I guess I should have made myself clearer in the first place... I opened this thread to try to find out about places spicifically in DUMBO because I live in the Heights and know all the places in my neighborhood, but really never get over to DUMBO, and thus was hoping to find out about some new places in that neighborhood.

I apologize for not making myself more clear in the first place.

-Eric

I opened this thread to try to find out about places spicifically in DUMBO because I live in the Heights and know all the places in my neighborhood, but really never get over to DUMBO

You should go for a walk. Definitely check out Jaques Torres shop while you are at it.

• 2 years later...

BanjoDan, I merged this thread with a couple of older threads which might have some relevant ideas for you. I'm not sure where St. Anne's Warehouse is, but the place I immediately think of (though it's actually past the Brooklyn Bridge Overpass, so not actually in DUMBO) that's fancy and has good food is the River Cafe. I don't know if you're looking for a jacket-and-tie place, though, or how much you want to pay. I also haven't been to River Cafe for about 2 1/2 years or so, but nothing others have said has led me to believe that the quality of the food on offer there has deteriorated. For a cheaper option, you may want to consider Grimaldi's for pizza, but it's not fancy.

Michael aka "Pan"

To clear up all this geographical disputation, both the River Cafe and Grimaldi's are closer to the St. Ann's Warehouse than most recommendations that are actually located in DUMBO proper.

(Also, since both the River Cafe and Grimaldi's are downhill from the bluff on which Brooklyn Heights sits, I personally consider them part of DUMBO rather than the Heights [since to be in the Heights it seems to me you have to be on the Heights].)

Superfine has always been the most highly touted place in DUMBO proper (i.e., excluding the River Cafe and Grimaldi's), but I've always found the food pretty ordinary, although the place itself is pleasant enough.

There's also a branch of the Noho (I think) restaurant Rice in DUMBO, if you're in the mood for rice dishes. (In fact, Rice runs the lobby concession at St. Ann's Warehouse.)

Speaking of branches, there's also now a branch of Bubby's (from Tribeca) in DUMBO. I haven't been.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Noodle Pudding. Noodle Pudding. Noodle Pudding. It's also closer than a lot of the Manhattan-bridge central restaurants. Did I mention Noodle Pudding?

went to noodle pudding, it was fantastic... ossobucco delicious and pasta with eggplant tomatoes and ricotta cheese to die for.

Glad you enjoyed it. I normally get the gnochhi, bufalina mozz and roasted peppers, fish special, etc, there, glad to here the ossobucco is just as on point -

I'm convinced that that place is the best kept secret in Brooklyn, and by virtue of it being in Brooklyn, the best kept secret in all of NYC! Let's keep it that way.

Whatever you say, guys. :wink:

But just in case anyone wants to know where the place is (courtesy of superpages.com):

Noodle Pudding Inc

38 Henry Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201

(718) 625-3737

It's in Brooklyn Heights between Cranberry and Middagh Sts., near Cadman Plaza.

Citysearch gives the following hours: Sun, Tue-Thu 5:30 pm-10:30 pm; Fri-Sat 5:30 pm-11 pm.

They also rate the price as "$$$($31-$40)." Is that accurate, in your experience?

Michael aka "Pan"

Damn you pan..... :wink: blowing up my spot

It's very affordable. Italian that good shouldn't be that affordable. Apps up to $12ish and Entrees up to $20ish... I'm scraping my memory, time for a trip out!

WITH a bottle of wine you can leave there for under $100 for 2. Cash only.

Go there early before they run out of buffalina mozzarella

• 2 years later...

Will be in that area next Friday with six family members (all adults) around lunch time. Any suggestions for lunch? Some of the group will be staying at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, but we can travel anywhere. One or two might want lighter fare. Thanks.

Mark A. Bauman

Will be in that area next Friday with six family members (all adults) around lunch time. Any suggestions for lunch? Some of the group will be staying at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, but we can travel anywhere. One or two might want lighter fare. Thanks.

Follow the Manhattan bridge downhill to Pearl St, Superfine - superfine lunch!

Superfine is a bit blah - mostly sandwiches and nothing really that great. Only marginally better, but still pretty meh, is Water Street Restaurant and Lounge. Some of their specials can be pretty tasty, and everything is competently prepared, although at times it reeks of Sysco. It's above average "average food". DUMBO is pretty much a wasteland during the daytime.

My suggestion would be Queen in Brooklyn Heights (near the Marriott) or perhaps Frankie's Spuntino on Court in Carroll Gardens - both Italian. Most of the neighborhood is quick and simple lunch or dinner only.

Superfine is a bit blah - mostly sandwiches and nothing really that great. Only marginally better, but still pretty meh, is Water Street Restaurant and Lounge. Some of their specials can be pretty tasty, and everything is competently prepared, although at times it reeks of Sysco. It's above average "average food". DUMBO is pretty much a wasteland during the daytime.

My suggestion would be Queen in Brooklyn Heights (near the Marriott) or perhaps Frankie's Spuntino on Court in Carroll Gardens - both Italian. Most of the neighborhood is quick and simple lunch or dinner only.

For the most part agreed but their steak sandwich is really fantastic, but I guess 6 people aren't going to all eat that.

So go to Grimaldi's, just head over there on the early side

• 5 weeks later...

Try some of the places on smith street or head to lobo or laylajones on court street. They are just a short walk from the Marriott.