• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining on Sundays & Mondays

I've noticed that a lot of my favourite restaurants are closed on Sundays and sometimes Mondays.

It so happens that Sundays are a convenient night for my wife and I to get a babysitter and go out for dinner.

Any suggestions?

Well lately, I couldn't get enough of Berlin. The first time I ever had German food was when I went to Germany 2 years ago, and was craving for it ever since! I finally found Berlin that satisfied my craving. I don't know if you have ever been there, but it's at the corner of Fairmont, and St-Urbain. You got to try the Pork Snitzel. :biggrin:

For whatever reason my wife does not like Pied de Cochon although she loved Martins' food at le Club des Pins. My office is right around the corner from les Caprices so I want a change of scenery. Tonight we'll try Chez L'Epicier as my wife hasn't been there yet and I haven't been since right after they opened....

Porkpa, hate to jump in with this but Milos is now miles ahead of Faros and Faros isn't that much less expensive. Have you been to Vegera on Bernard?

One great thing about Faros though: free valet parking!!!

I don't remember paying for parking at Milos.

For Sunday dining, does Milos still run that $35.00 special? I always found it to be great value.

Well lately, I couldn't get enough of Berlin.

I can never, EVER get enough of Berlin! As far as restaurants go, it's my home-away-from-home.

The staff is extremely friendly (especially Eric, who works weeknights) and the service is usually great. The food is very good - homey, I think, but in a good way - and it's consistent(!!!). We've gone there so much that we don't actually need to order anymore...

The only complaint that I could possibly voice about Berlin is that they're not open for lunch (only on Sundays).

Lesley,

Is this because Milos has improved or has Faros declined?

On another note, I read your review of the Italian place in Westmount on the Gazette's website this morning. It sounds like you were treated in an unacceptable manner. Have you heard from the restaurant since? Is such poor service the norm there or do you believe that this was just an isolated incident? Of course once is once too many. If I owned the place, both the waiter and the woman who refused to give you the detailed receipt would be gone post haste.

Porkpa

• 3 years later...

I'll be in Montreal Sunday and Monday, need a place for dinner each night. One night bistro would be nice, anything interesting for the other night. I wanted to try - at last - Le Club Chasse et Peche or Joe Beef - both closed. Also Brunoise, etc., etc. Thank for any ideas.

I'll be in Montreal Sunday and Monday, need a place for dinner each night.  One night bistro would be nice, anything interesting for the other night.  I wanted to try - at last - Le Club Chasse et Peche or Joe Beef - both closed.  Also Brunoise, etc., etc.  Thank for any ideas.

Au Pied de Cochon

L'Express

Bistro Cocagne is open, also.

http://www.bistro-cocagne.com/

Thank you everyone. We've reserved at an old fave, L'Express, for Sunday, and at Laloux for my son's 37th birthday dinner on Monday (he wanted to go to Au Pied de Cochon, but it isn't open according to their website). Apparently, there is a new offshoot of Pinxto. Has anyone been there?

Bistro Cocagne is open, also.

http://www.bistro-cocagne.com/

Thank you everyone. We've reserved at an old fave, L'Express, for Sunday, and at Laloux for my son's 37th birthday dinner on Monday (he wanted to go to Au Pied de Cochon, but it isn't open according to their website). Apparently, there is a new offshoot of Pinxto. Has anyone been there?

Why not go to Au Pied on Sun and L'Express on Mon?