• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobsters, simple or elaborated?

Many thanks for joining in this Q&A.

There are few things better than a lobster, perfectly fresh and simply prepared, perhaps with butter and lemon.

But there are many, many elaborate recipes for lobster, removing the cooked meat from the shells and adding flavours such as vanilla (to highlight the sweetness of the lobster); anise (Pernod); tomatoes (provencale) and the like.

Do you prefer simple lobster preparations, or do you ever make fancier ones? If you decide to gild the lily or elaborate the lobster, which versions do you prefer?

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Hi Jonathan Day--

Sorry not to have responded sooner. I'm just getting used to this format!

I agree that with lobster, simple is usually best. But it is fun to mess around with them occasionally - especially if you have a source for cheap lobster. Lobster stew is one of my favorite lobster dishes. I favor the simple kind - basically just lobster, rich milk, butter, and paprika - but I like to infuse the liquid with more flavor by brewing up a lobster stock with the bodies, including the tomalley. And baked stuffed lobster makes a fabulous, flashy statement, and can be really good if it's not made with too many breadcrumbs. There's a wonderful recipe for baked stuffed from Lincolnville Lobster Pound in Maine in my New England Clam Shack Cookbook.