• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza In Montreal

Kenk

Steve W

Gaetano Vizzi is there during the day shift.You went for lunch.

Yes, I went in the middle of the afternoon. Important thing I forgot to mention in my La Vielle Cheminée experience. It`s the first time ever from my personal experience that a wood burning oven, actually imparted a smokey flavor to their pizza. It goes without saying, the pizza that I ate there was excellent.

-----------

Steve

I would have to agree with catello on the pizza at restaurant “à la vieille cheminée” they make an excellent pizza in a fine wood burning oven (the only way a pizza should be made), thin crust but not too thin, crispy but not too crispy, saucy but not soggy and toppings always fresh and each one made with a sprinkle of love (diced fresh parsley garnishing). The exact address is 6715, boul metropolitan est. in the heart of st-leonard (Montréal’s Italian suburb). Phone number (514) 328-7136 and I would suggest calling for reservations on the weekends because it can get a little difficult to find a table. The renovations added to the ambience and the food only improved. For those who are interested in having an authentic napoletana pizza “à la vieille” is the place for it. I used to eat there 5 days a week now only twice because i am up to my knees in work. I was quite surprised it was even mentioned on this site because it is one of those secret spots for great food that ownly the regulars know about it. If you mention this site to the owner I’m sure he would be very pleased.

I'm happy to hear some of you tried the pizza at La V.C

It's a while I haven't been I think I'm going to go see Tony this weekend.

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the pizza#11 at La V.C. recently, its certainly better than average, arrives crisp and light but still tends to get soggy quickly. Toppings included fresh spinach, ricotta and bruschetta . Unfortunately the bruschetta (bad idea) contributes to the sogginess. My partner chose the sausage and hot pepper pizza that had sliced canned olives with rubbery "nothing special" sausage. My advice is to stick to a basic cheese and tomato pizza here. It would be nice to see a sprinkiling of fresh herbs as a finish, a little basil or marjoram goes a long way.

onionbreath

I do agree that they do use some lower quality ingredients

e.g. the olives & also the bruschetta the sausage is cut into

slices instead of being removed from the caseing all these little details is what's missing but the wood burning oven helps a little. & the fresh herbs too!

I never said it was the best pizza I've had I said it was good

and good is very far in my book from the best .

I would love to consult him into making his pizza better without offending him.Work more the details.

But I still say it was one of the better pizza's I've had in Montreal

My review of La V.C. was based on trying one of their pizzas. As times goes on, I'll try their other pizzas, & keep asking more questions about their product(so far I've tried two of their pizzas). Culatello, what other pizzerias in Montreal that you have tried, you consider at least very good?

------------

Steve

Steve W

I've tried alot, but there all more or less the same the ones I do say are ok, are Pizzataro next to Latini so so,the old before renovated Via Roma (new not the same),Pizzaiole but like I said these are so so places.

Up to 2 years ago though pizza was for fast food and low class cuisine,seeing that's the way pizza is portraid in north america.So I never made it,but I was mad at myself that I couldn't open a simple pizza dough with my hands.Thats when I wanted to master the art of pizza,I do find it's an art it takes skill,creativity and patients.I've been cooking for 12 years now mostly Regional Italian (high end)and I find simple good bistro food is most appreciated .

I specialize in Regional Italian cuisine, but I also do French & modern cuisine ,I know pizza is not known as refined food but I strongly beleive that cooking is passionate,so even if some one is making pizza but puts all there heart in it,uses quality ingredients and keeps it simple.Thats the best pizza

Sorry I got off topic :laugh:

Culatello, I just re-read your earlier postings on this 'Pizza in Montreal' thread. I agree with you, on your ingredients for a great ultimate pizza. Your suggestion of Buffalo Mozz. for the ultimate pizza, & how it should be used is fascinating(cut & drained on only put on the pizza in the final two minutes of cooking). My only concern with Buffalo Mozz(it's the best tasting no doubt), is its high water content, & you solve the problem with your technique. Among the few things I've discussed so far with the owner of La V.C. is the cheese they use on their pizzas(Saputo Mozz for all their pizzas). Maybe down the line they can experiment more.

The only pizzeria in Montreal that I know making a Naples-type pizza(using tipo '00 flour), is Prato Pizzeria(next to Schwartz's as Rex stated). Their pizza is very good(among the best in the city).

I'll ask a second time, on this thread. Is their regional differences to the pizzas offered within the Montreal-area? As an example, is their noticeable differences between what's offered in the east end of Montreal, compared to the west end of the city? Do the people in the West Island get a different pizza, than in downtown Montreal(sauce, toppings)?

----------

Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Montreal is a horrible city for pizza and it keeps getting worse. I only go to Pizzeria Napolitana on Dante in Little Italy.

Otherwise, I make it at home.

Lesley you are right about finding a good pizza in Montreal but, unfortunately Pizzaria Napolitana is a big looser when it comes to pizza.

Hey Pinocchio

I totaly back you up on that statement :cool:

Steve W

regarding the question to Regional differences,I think It's basically all the same.

Well the cheap pizza-by-the-slice & 2-1 places have hurt the pizza business greatly in Montreal. Many pizzerias all around the city, are forced to keep their prices low, to compete. This despite the rising prices of cheese(in many cases the most expensive ingredient in a pizza).

-Steve

Thanks to FoodEater and SteveW for remembering - and mentioning - Elio's. It's been the only pizza restaurant in Montreal I've gone to (i.e. gone back to more than once) for about 35 years now. The pizza hasn't changed a bit in that time (I guess I'm recognized as "one small extra all dressed" as soon as I walk in and sit down) and is as good as ever! Any more Elio's fans in the house? Speak up!

Funny how this site can bring back memories.

Elio sponsored a soccer team called the "Elio Blues" for years in Montreal that I used to play against "generations" ago.

I have not been back in a long time.

Someone mentioned a spot on Dante. The gentleman who sponsored our team Tony di Palma owned Dante Pizzeria, Trattoria dai Baffoni. Does it still exist on Dante just off St. Laurent?

on the east side try ST-AUBIN pizzeria..5195 beaubien ....

I tried St-Aubin pizzeria today. It was a decent traditional Montreal-style pizza. The pizzerias in the east end(based on my findings) focus for the most part, producing a very traditional Montreal-style pizza, while in the western part of the city, it's less so.

-Steve

Thanks to FoodEater and SteveW for remembering - and mentioning - Elio's.  It's been the only pizza restaurant in Montreal I've gone to (i.e. gone back to more than once) for about 35 years now.  The pizza hasn't changed a bit in that time (I guess I'm recognized as "one small extra all dressed" as soon as I walk in and sit down) and is as good as ever!  Any more Elio's fans in the house?  Speak up!

Funny how this site can bring back memories.

Elio sponsored a soccer team called the "Elio Blues" for years in Montreal that I used to play against "generations" ago.

I have not been back in a long time.

Someone mentioned a spot on Dante. The gentleman who sponsored our team Tony di Palma owned Dante Pizzeria, Trattoria dai Baffoni. Does it still exist on Dante just off St. Laurent?

Merlin, Trattoria Dai Baffoni still exists, but it's now located on St-Laurent & Dante(6859 St-Laurent).

-Steve

Yeah!, I did get the bambino special. So do you work at this pizzeria? I've been checking into Montreal pizzerias extensively the last few years. Personally as I posted earlier in this thread, I'm looking to check out more pizzerias in the east end of the city.

-Steve

It's OK burgerflipper(George), I actually prefer my pizzas a little overcooked. A pizza owner in Montreal who I'm friendly with, everytime I go there, I asked for my pizza to be a little overcooked.

Now I recall. Just before going into your restaurant, I saw someone inspecting the front of your establishment. I think he went in just after me. And now I remember your waitress talking about the food inspector & inspection. And I heard someone else talking about it(which I assume now was you).

The bambino special that I had was well packed(it was all-dressed plus several other things) & very very hot! I know for evaluation purposes I should order a pizza with less ingredients. There was a nice big layer of cheese on top(I'm guessing it's Saputo mozzarella 52% moisture). With the special, it was meat sauce, replacing the traditional straight tomato sauce. I don't really have any complaints(honest). It was a fairly good very traditional Montreal-style pizza.

-Steve

My Votes

-----------

West Island: Sgt. Pepperonni. Flavourful, not harsh, not much salt used. The tomato sauce is what makes it great. Prices are on the low end.

McGill Ghetto: Amelio's. The five cheese pizza is considered their classic, although their cheese and pepperoni is just fine by me. Cheese is extra oily, the crust is tangy. Their sauce is impressive, and I'm pretty sure they use pastene. But there's something else special in there . . .not sure what.

Best Pizza ever: Pepe's in New Haven. A reason to go to Yale all by itself. Crust has a perfect wood-burning over flavour. They are best known from their white clam (and pecorino romano cheese - no tomato sauce) pizza . . .but again, I liked the pepperoni.

To answer a question above, yes go with the highest MF you can find for the cheese. 25% is widely available, in a large 340g ball under the brand "National". It's a blue-clear package.

If you can stand more pungent cheeses, a book my Joie Warner suggests to try mozz with provolone (for its melting qualities). I have never quite found a good, non pungent provolone.

As someone on Egullent mentioned a while ago, generic 'pizza cheese' is specially designed and comes from Wisconson in many cases.

Helios

P.S. In NYC? Try Famiglia's. Good all-around.

• 1 month later...
Recently I saw a recommendation for Danelis Pizzeria in Lasalle. Anyone with comments on this pizzeria?

---------

Steve

Sorry, it turns out this pizzeria is called Dani's Pizzeria. Their speciality is not actually pizza, but chicken souvlaki. It's owned by a Greek. They even added a new chicken & cheese pizza to their menu this year. Finally went to this establishment today.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

• 2 years later...

Last month I had an extraordinary pizza at Cafe Colonnade in Ottawa and since then I've been having the most incredible cravings for an airy and bubbly cheesy pizza. I've only been going to places closer to home and they've all been disappointments.

My worst was at Scarolies where my veggie pizza was a thin cracker crust with hardly any sauce and a mound of unseasoned broccoli and cauliflower piled on top of the cheese.

My favourites in Montreal have been Amelio's in the McGill guetto, so cheesy and saucy that you can't eat it with your hands. For focaccia-style, I really like Pizz'Ancora.

Do people even go out to pizzeria for the pleasure of eating pizza anymore, or is it just a convenience filler food now? I read the thread from 2003 where everyone said pizza was going downhill here. I think frozen pizzas have gotten so cheap that they've denatured our ideas of what a great pizza should taste like.