• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza In Montreal

Kenk

My vote goes to Café Electra, on Des pins, even if it has past away....

I hope they enjoy the time off, and grace the city once again with there lovely food and service...someday soon.

Edited by chopper (log)

Michel

God chopper, GOOD point ! I totally forgotten about electra, I didn't even realised it closed until I was looking for it during lunch time... oh well, I ended up at reservoir for a nice potage de betterave with goat cheese bits in it... good stuff.

I have, I think they always served a great pizza... Another OK spot is on crescent, on the corner of Maisonneuve, can't remember the name, one of those Crescent spots...

There was a review of Napolitana in La Presse today. They put down the quality of the ingredient, the crust of course is reguarded as the best. I have to agree with the review, I never expect top notch ingredients there but playing the tradionnal vibe and not offering 1% of what is done in Italy for the same price is a problem...

Like the reviewer said, you can never get away from that spot, even with these let down's. That's the problem I guess, they are now so packed, they totally forgotten how to respect the "caprese", plus the prices are not getto cheap...

Seems to me anything truly regional and ethnic in Montreal is always a challenge...

Nobody has mentioned yet - but my favourite pizza is at the little Rotisserie Italienne on St-Catherine by du Fort. I know the pizza's are thin and small - but they're also tasty, and VERY inexpensive. The atmosphere is very casual, and rustic. It reminds me of my university days... Their pasta is pretty good too - especially considering that it's more-or-less 'fast'-food (from ordering to eating in under 10 min!)

I like the service at the counter, and their 'honour' system when you pay. Charming really... :)

Thanks to FoodEater and SteveW for remembering - and mentioning - Elio's. It's been the only pizza restaurant in Montreal I've gone to (i.e. gone back to more than once) for about 35 years now. The pizza hasn't changed a bit in that time (I guess I'm recognized as "one small extra all dressed" as soon as I walk in and sit down) and is as good as ever! Any more Elio's fans in the house? Speak up!

Da Pizzetaro, Just wanted to say that I went there on Staurday before seeing Invasions Barbare. A quick fix deal. The pizza was under par and so were the salads... Too bad, the place was qute empty.

I had the pizza Pizzetaro which is kind of a meat lover pizz... The meat used for the pizza is sub par to what is expected of a good Italian spot, there was simply too much on the pizz. The salads, although had some great dressing, the quality of the leaves were not very high. A bit above that pre washed type green but still incredibly rougn and chewy. It looks like the potential is good but only the ingredients failed me.

The deserts were very good (and not in house). The coffee was excellent.

We concluded by wondering why not go back to the original spots that never really screw up... Pizzaiolle was mention a few times. It was pizza or Rosalie... Quite suprised to see Rosalie packed between 8:00h and 10:00h on a week end.

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry guys but there is no way that Pizzeria Napolitano is the best Pizza nor is it pizza Pino in Cresent

At the risk of sounding cocky take it from me a native of Italy region of Campagina there is no pizza that comes close to the one in Naples in North America

But for a good pizza in Montreal try Le Veiux Chemine in ST.Leonard and there used to be a good one on Cresent called Azzurro but I think it closed now.too bad :sad:

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

I had never found the pizza at Pizzeria Napoletana(they claim to be Montreal's first pizzeria opening in 1948) to be any good. However after so many raves by so many egullet members shortly after this thread started, I decided to give them another try. On my last visit there, I found their pizza to be quite decent(fairly good, but not outstanding).

-------------

Steve

For me Pizzeria Napolitano is probably the worst pizza I've had apart from the greek places when i was younger

I've also heard that Il Focolaio is good but never been there I guess I've got to try it :rolleyes:

it's in front of St.Phillips Sq.

I still say you've got to try Le Veiux Chemine in St.Leonard wood burning,thin crust Pizza .

Just to protect myself I haven't been since they Renovated so maybe it's changed.

This might be a stupid question whats IMHO :huh:

As for Elio Pizzeria no chance

Pizzaoille so so

Pizzataro maybe

The Pizza in Naples is 10" and could fold in 4 without cracking

The flour they use is Tipo '00 very fine Between all purpouse & monarch

The ingredients are -flour

- yeast

-water

-olive oil

-sea salt

Nothing else for the dough some people put sugar ,beer,milk & somtimes

7-up

The dough must rest for 1 hr before being cut into 180-200gr and then it must rest for 3-6 hours in the fridge

Sorry guys I think I gave more info than asked for I'[m a little bored. :biggrin:

This might be a stupid question whats IMHO :huh:

IMHO = in my humble opinion

FWIW = for what it's worth

AFAIK = as far as I know

FYI = for your information

TYVM = thank you very much

YMMV = your milage may vary

LOL = laughing out loud

ROTFL = rolling on the floor laughing

ROTFLMAO = ROTFL my ass off

IANAL = I am not a lawyer

etc. = etcetera...

Culatello,

keep going, you just got me interested.

What about the sauce?

What about the toppings?

What cheese do you like to use?

I would love to bring Naples into my kitchen.

The tiles are warming in my oven and my peel is ready to go.

Keep going.

As for the sauce very simple -Tomates (pelati) (san marsano) cut by hand

or passed through food mill.

- extra vergin olive oil

- sea salt

-bunch of basil

-pinch or oregano ( opt.)

As for the cheese mozzarella di bufela cut before drained and only put it near the end about 2 min. before it's finished cooking or it will release some liquid and thats no good.lots of fresh basil at the end.

For the toppings my favorite is- Margehrita,

-Funghi Misti,-

Sausage w/rapini,dried black olives ,roasted red peppers -

Porcini e Porchetta w/ truffle oil.

Another one I like is simple Tomate sauce(see above) and when the pizza comes out of the oven hand full of Parmigiano or aged Pecorino ,drizzel olive oil and it's done.

Cook the pizza at 500 drg to 600 drg for no more than 8-10 min.

For me Pizzeria Napolitano is probably the worst pizza I've had apart from the greek places when i was younger

I've also heard  that Il Focolaio is good but never been there I guess I've got to try it :rolleyes:

it's in front of St.Phillips Sq.

I still say you've got to try Le Veiux Chemine  in St.Leonard wood burning,thin crust Pizza .

Just to protect myself I haven't been since they Renovated so maybe it's changed.

Thanks Culatello. Based on your recommendation, I went to La Vielle Cheminée(right spelling) for the first time today. It was arguably the best pizza I have ever tasted. Had a nice talk with both the owner & head chef, & they both told me about their interesting unique wood burning stove. Warning!! They're now at a new location(close to their previous location).

----------

Steve

Steve W

I'm glad you tried it :biggrin:

So I guess you spoke to Tony & Mario they told you about

the terra cotta wood burning oven they imported from Italy

I've visited the new place but didn't eat there yet.

What pizza did you have.

Sorry about the spelling. :wink: