• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza In Montreal

Kenk

Pinoli Pizza on Monkland makes the best pizzas. Be it just cheese or their gourmet combos. The Margherita (fresh tomatoes, sundried tomatoes,bocconcini, fresh basil) is a wonderful gift to anyone's tastebuds.

It really depends on what kind of pizza you like though. Are you a deep dish lover or a thin crust type?

I am a strictly thin crust kind a gal.

I had the white pizza at Prato on St Laurent recently and very much enjoyed it.

(creme fraiche, bacon, onions, rosemary)

mmm  :rolleyes:

hmmm, sounds more like Flammekueche or Tarte Flambe. i will definately check it out.

as for pizza, i have to second the vote for Amelio's, when I was at McGill it was practically a stable in our research group.

Thomas

Pizzeria Napoletana on Dante is the place to go in MTL

because in the land of the blind the one eye man is king

True that, Dante has pizza for tired folks who forgot to rise the crust but frankly it is not a great pizza place and it still difficult to find a good one in Montreal. Amelios is completely different pizza joint than the fine crusted 00 flour brick oven that Italy is so well known for (personnaly I find Amelios totally gross, the peperoni and cheese is an insult to Italians but I can see why they would have some fans in the cheese on top category)... I get a fine pizza in Saint Lambert at Primi Piatti, Prato offers one a step above Dante, they are still not mind blowing, there is also Il Focolaio downtown. We have pizza every week at home and take a lot of care in the science, I still have not found a restau in montreal that will match home made, even remotely. Quite a shame for Montreal...

I went to Ottawa a few weeks ago just to eat pizza at Colonnade, everytime I go to Ottawa I have to eat there. The only thing I have found close to Colonnade is Pizza Gigi on Lakeshore in Pointe Claire, the pizzas have an amazing thick crust. It's my favorite pizza place in Montreal.

I had the white pizza at Prato on St Laurent recently and very much enjoyed it.

(creme fraiche, bacon, onions, rosemary)

mmm  :rolleyes:

hmmm, sounds more like Flammekueche or Tarte Flambe. i will definately check it out.

as for pizza, i have to second the vote for Amelio's, when I was at McGill it was practically a stable in our research group.

Thomas

dont forget amelio = byow which is very nice

also options of whole wheat crust which is nice

of course it is not 'real' pizza like you see in italy but very tasty anyway

Pizzeria Napoletana on Dante is the place to go in MTL

because in the land of the blind the one eye man is king

True that, Dante has pizza for tired folks who forgot to rise the crust but frankly it is not a great pizza place and it still difficult to find a good one in Montreal. Amelios is completely different pizza joint than the fine crusted 00 flour brick oven that Italy is so well known for (personnaly I find Amelios totally gross, the peperoni and cheese is an insult to Italians but I can see why they would have some fans in the cheese on top category)... I get a fine pizza in Saint Lambert at Primi Piatti, Prato offers one a step above Dante, they are still not mind blowing, there is also Il Focolaio downtown. We have pizza every week at home and take a lot of care in the science, I still have not found a restau in montreal that will match home made, even remotely. Quite a shame for Montreal...

Again, try Friulano's Deli on 8365 Viau in St. Leonard.

Growing up in Italy, I long for that thin crust pizza i used to enjoy all over the south of italy. Even in Italy you can have great pizzas and terrible pizzas, depending on a number of varieites; the izza man, the whether, the water, the availability of ingereidnets.

The main problem in judging good pizza, is that pizza is like beer, some people like a thickenr crust, crunchier, more toppings, less toppings. So it is very difficult to come to a concensus. But basing on the neapolitain pizza, we could say a pizza dough, no matter what the toping, should have the following characterisitcs.

1. When we take a slice, the pizza should not give in to the laws of gravity.

2. To the bite the dough should be crunchy at the surface and soft on the middle without being to thick. (again thickness being a question of taste)

3. The soft element in the middle of the dough should be fully cooked. (that is it shouldn t be soft because the dough hasn t fully risen) We don t want pizza that rises in our stomach at 2am.

I haven t tried enough Montreal pizza to be a judge in this topic.

My favourite so far has been Primi Piatti in st-lambert on green avenue. They have a great oven, and the dough is made with the same recipe as il fornetto used in the 80's (manyof us remeber how good that was). Primi piatti s dough is so good that one night the pizza oven was closed so they put a pizza on the gril for me and it turned out to be a treat reagardless.

They also score points for usuing only tomatoes in their sauce. What i mean is that many restaurants add corn starch to their sauce to increase the yield of each tomato and to give a longer shelf life. Result =you stay up drinking water all night.

Pizza napoletana has great dough, but their ingredients are filled with more chemicals than a chinese buffet. Canadian prosciutto filled with nitrates, roma sausages nitrate heaven and their tomato sauce with tons of corn starch and very little basil. I wish they would take their great dough and open a can of tomaotes reduce it in a pan with garlic and fresh basil, add some fresh mozzarella and serve it up!

I live in Rosemont (well , it is Saint-Milchel but so close to Rosemont that when I feel a bit snobby , I can say Rosemont :biggrin: ) Any way , a Peruvian Familly opened "les deux fours" two yeras ago. It is wood oven thin crust pizza that is quite good. They have oven roasted peruvian chicken as well. It is "bring your own wine " with a 2$ corking fee.

The place is not chic , but nice and airy. A plus: two street corner from Roberto for Ice cream( I know , Roberto is not Havre aux glaces , but still is more than correct gelato).

Les deux four is now my neigbourhood pizza joint.

Oh , and avoid pasta at any cost: they are as bad as there pizza are good !

Les Deux Fours Restaurant

514-729-0222

2379, rue Bélanger, ( near Iberville)

Montréal, QC H2G 1E4

Edited by toto2 (log)

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)

ItalianFoodJunkie, spot on, I agree 100% with your statement. Furthermore I would add that the crust should be cooked enough and thin enough that you can fold a piece without breaking it.

Pizza do recipees are quite simple, I use the following

50g of beer yeast or 25g Fleishman (I use Lallemand all purpose yeast).

1 table spoon sugar.

2.25 to 2.5 cup of warm water for the yeast (if your tap water is heavy in chlorine, you may want to go for bottled water to kick start the yeast seperately). Final water volume can change, I put enough so that the hook gently cleans off the bowl after 5 minutes.

5 cups of 00 flour

0.5 to 1 cup of weat semolina flour (not 100% necessary)

1 table spoon of salt

I also add some olive oil, don't be shy.

rise the monster twice over 90 minutes. Split in half.

The killer tool is the oven brick, the oven is maxed out during pizza cooking.

ItalianFoodJunkie, spot on, I agree 100% with your statement. Furthermore I would add that the crust should be cooked enough and thin enough that you can fold a piece without breaking it.

Pizza do recipees are quite simple, I use the following

50g of beer yeast or 25g Fleishman (I use Lallemand all purpose yeast).

1 table spoon sugar.

2.25 to 2.5 cup of warm water for the yeast (if your tap water is heavy in chlorine, you may want to go for bottled water to kick start the yeast seperately). Final water volume can change, I put enough so that the hook gently cleans off the bowl after 5 minutes.

5 cups of 00 flour

0.5 to 1 cup of weat semolina flour (not 100% necessary)

1 table spoon of salt

I also add some olive oil, don't be shy.

rise the monster twice over 90 minutes. Split in half.

The killer tool is the oven brick, the oven is maxed out during pizza cooking.

Just to add..

I met one great pizzaman in italy who would use a bit of egg in his dough, but he wouldn t tell me how much,,,,

Also a shortcut to making pizza for a restaurateur which is a fantastic idea..... is a machine that works the dough for you. You put your dough ball on a plate and it is squished to perfection. I met a pizzaman who was 15 years old and his hands were too small to work the dough propoerly so her would use this machine and the pizza was great.

• 2 weeks later...

I still love picking up the takeout pizza at Motta on Belanger beside MJT. Love the crust, which is pretty thick, although I'm normally partial to a thin crust. Nice tomato sauce, not too acidic, not too sweet. When I have a pizza craving it's theirs that comes to mind.

off topic - toto2, when are you bringing back the grilled cheese sandwich booth at the market? the St.Honore and fig compote sandwich made me swoon last fall.

We are in talk with Marché des saveurs : it will probably be in July (july , august and september will be grilled cheese and octobre , november and part of december will be the spiced Peanuts and peacans) I will make an announcement here on the Egullet to invite all of you guys ! Oh , And I will be looking for volonteers !!!!!

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)

We are in talk with Marché des saveurs : it will probably be in July (july , august and september will be grilled cheese and octobre , november and part of december will be the spiced Peanuts and peacans) I will make an announcement here on the Egullet to invite all of you guys ! Oh , And I will be looking for volonteers !!!!!

volunteering for food ? can i bring my own bib ?

Haven't really had enough pizza in Montreal to make a judgement call. Most I had were dissappointing, sigh, we are in the land of 99¢ or 2 for 1 pizzas after all! I am still trying to perfect my own pizza but it is just not the same. Thank you for pointing out the more obscure ones in the suburb... Will keep an eye out for Friulano & Les Deux Fours...