• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I've had jackfruit chips. You can get them in New York, imported from the Philippines or something.

You know, in Terengganu dialect, it's "jeput" and "lepeng," so you can understand my trouble with the spellings. :laugh:

I used to "cari lokang," and I thought "lokang" were spelled "longkang." :laugh:

("Cari lokan" means "Search [dig] for clams," but "longkang" are drains! But that's standard Malay. In Terengganu, both lokan and longkang are pronounced "lokang." :biggrin: )

Michael aka "Pan"

I've had jackfruit chips. You can get them in New York, imported from the Philippines or something.

You know, in Terengganu dialect, it's "jeput" and "lepeng," so you can understand my trouble with the spellings. :laugh:

I used to "cari lokang," and I thought "lokang" were spelled "longkang." :laugh:

("Cari lokan" means "Search [dig] for clams," but "longkang" are drains! But that's standard Malay. In Terengganu, both lokan and longkang are pronounced "lokang." :biggrin: )

LOL! Yes. One of my best friends is from Te-nganu.

One day I brought over some Roti Jala which I made and she asked if she could learn how to make them and where can she buy the sarang = nest. :blink: She meant acuan = mold. :raz:

What about pinggang and pinggan?

Pinggang is waist and the Terengganu people pronounce is as pinggan.

Pinggan is plate and they pronounce it as pinggang.

And don't forget Ikang Paran. :biggrin:

That would be ikang parang, kawang. :laugh:

And there's always ikang teggiri. :biggrin:

(Mackeral, which is "ikan tenggiri" in standard Malay.)

My favorite fish name was always ikan yu bodoh. Ikan=fish; yu=shark; bodoh=stupid. However, even in the 70s, many city Malaysians used the English-language "you" in their Malay, and when you omit "ikan"...

But we'd better get back to jackfruit, I suppose.

I remember liking both nangka and cempedak seeds fine, but still feeling like they were good in the absence of something better like chestnuts. Nevertheless, they were pretty good roasted over that kerosene stove.

Michael aka "Pan"