• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lamb shank confit

MobyP

Since I had a supply of duck and goose fat in the fridge, I confit'd up some lamb shanks the other day - now I'm unsure how to use them.

I was thinking, possibly, serve it over crispy gnocchi, maybe with some caramalised butternut squash (a Tra Vigne dish I had, using Duck confit), but I'm not sure about what to use for a sauce. Plenty of chicken and veal glace in the freezer.

Any suggestions?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I'd just eat them while standing around in the kitchen. Maybe also nibble on one while working at the computer.

But if I had to cook for guests I'd probably pull the meat off and use it to stuff some ravioli. Really overstuffed, fat ravioli. I'd take some of that veal stock and make a bordelaise and maybe get some of that in there. And then I'd saute a ton of wild mushrooms and pour them all over the ravioli until no more ravioli were visible. And then I'd eat it all before the guests arrived.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I like the ravioli idea

Alternatively I'd saute some potatoes in the fat then add the shredded meat, and maybe some cabbage and serve with a tomato chutney...

Or make version of cassoulet with the meat, garlic sausage, beans, and a tomato sauce

Or serve whole, with creamy mashed potato and a tomato based sauce

So tomato sauce seems to be the answer

I'd just eat them while standing around in the kitchen. Maybe also nibble on one while working at the computer.

But if I had to cook for guests I'd probably pull the meat off and use it to stuff some ravioli. Really overstuffed, fat ravioli. I'd take some of that veal stock and make a bordelaise and maybe get some of that in there. And then I'd saute a ton of wild mushrooms and pour them all over the ravioli until no more ravioli were visible. And then I'd eat it all before the guests arrived.

Are you sure we ain't related?

Great suggestions - thanks.

And if we're going the gourmet route - I have some foie gras in the freezer that I portioned earlier - maybe I should sear off some large dice, and use it as garnish for the ravioli?

(Oh man, I have to beat my head with a frying pan - I can feel the coronary already.)

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Gremolata with tangerine instead of lemon,

with a sauce made with caramel, chambord, veal demi, a nug of butter and garnished with nice raspberries (ratio of caramel to veal demi 2 to 10, the caramel shouldn't make the thing like a dessert sauce but instead act as a foil for the chambord) it shouldn't be cloying,

making a nice risotto, pull the meat off and mix with the risotto at the end of cooking, a little reggiano...

make savory crepes, maybe some green onion, fresh corn in the mix...fill with confited meat, Tallegio, serve with a nice blood orange "salad", blood orange demi,

with a sauce made with caramel, chambord, veal demi, a nug of butter and garnished with nice raspberries

Spencer -

what's chambord? The Larousse says something about a method for braising whole fish in red wine. What's the secret?

Flickr Food

with a sauce made with caramel, chambord, veal demi, a nug of butter and garnished with nice raspberries

Spencer -

what's chambord? The Larousse says something about a method for braising whole fish in red wine. What's the secret?

If I may answer for Spencer (Chef/Bard, forgive me for jumping in ahead of you! :blush: ), Chambord is a French-made berry liqueur -- and I'm suddenly brain-dead because I don't remember the type of berry!! Raspberries? No, that's Framboise. Fraise des bois?? I don't even have a bottle around so I can check! Somebody help me out, please!! :wacko::wacko:

Spencer -

If I may answer for Spencer (Chef/Bard, forgive me for jumping in ahead of you! :blush: ), Chambord is a French-made berry liqueur -- and I'm suddenly brain-dead because I don't remember the type of berry!! Raspberries? No, that's Framboise. Fraise des bois?? I don't even have a bottle around so I can check! Somebody help me out, please!! :wacko::wacko:

Ah mais oui, tu es correct mon amis.....It is raspberry....

And if we're going the gourmet route - I have some foie gras in the freezer that I portioned earlier - maybe I should sear off some large dice, and use it as garnish for the ravioli?

Or stick it right in there.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The great thing is, if you stored them covered in fat they'll last for months and you don't have to think of something to do right away. And they only get better.

I just tried lamb shank confit a couple of weeks ago for the first time and it was great. Melted away the fat that it was stored in, seared it for a crispy outer layer, then roasted it. Served with lentils, caramelized endive, rhubarb chutney, and jus. It was damned good.

I'll definitely use this technique again. Braised shanks are great, but everybody does them. Confit is a hell of a good way to treat this cut.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Spencer -

Ah mais oui, tu es correct mon amis.....It is raspberry....

Black raspberries.