• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Duck Fat

maggiethecat

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have slowly cooked some pork belly submerged in duck fat. Was planning to strain it and reuse for similar cooking. How many times can I do this before I have to throw away the duck fat? What are the spoilage signs to watch for? Any other advice?

Much appreciated,

Bojana

After last Christmas I was given a jar of goose fat from Dear Marlene in Munich, redolent with herbs it improved every roaster I anointed . Monday lunch 10th of November the last was used, it was sweet and clean so that is almost a year and it was kept in my home fridge.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I used mine about four times and all was fine!!

I fried frites ( twice ) well that was four times , whole chicken ( once ) and chicken fried steak ( last ). I used a bit of new with it, also.

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

I bought a large 8# tub of duck fat from Polarica in San Francisco probably 4 years ago. I store the large tub in the freezer, but have used the fat to make confit on several occasions. I usually strain the fat and store it in mason jars in the fridge. I've never had any issue with it going rancid and I've used essentially the same fat about 10 times now. It also hasn't picked up much salt, which is good. Potatoes in duck fat are better than potatoes without duck fat.