• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morel show-and-tell

Sure would like to see some show-tell reports on the current mushroom season. Just so I can figure out whether or not my theories are all wet and whether or not I am hunting in the right places.

I'll start: Found five morchella and one verpa today in a waste of about five hours. I just feel like - I know - THEY ARE OUT THERE. Seems like the morels whould be all over; temperatures are right, soil is right, but can't seem to find much.

Some one else please advise how the hunt goes.

dave

Sure would like to see some show-tell reports on the current mushroom season.  Just so I can figure out whether or not my theories are all wet and whether or not I am hunting in the right places.

Aren't mushroom hunters highly secretive about giving out locations?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If you're nice enough and there's enough of a bribe (hint: think gin :raz:), Blue Heron will tell you where she and Mr. Heron like to go.

gin? :blink:

Hubby went out mushrooming last weekend and only found 1 morel. We belong to the Puget Sound Mycologoical Society (which I highly recommend joining, for the lots of forays, classes, advice, etc) - Puget Sound Mycological Society

Word around the club is that the season is still early, and no one is finding much yet. The general areas to look are along the rivers in Western Washington (but not the flood plains). If they are out... that's where to find them. Or in Eastern Washington. Last year there were lots in the Leavenworth burn area. Hubby said they are going to talk quite a bit about morels at the next Club meeting (Tue, May 13).

Or in Eastern Washington.  Last year there were lots in the Leavenworth burn area.

I haven't been mushrooming in years, but that is where we always went. My grandmother was born and raised in Leavenworth. One of the good (?!) things about the fires there were the mushrooms to come. My grandmother would never take people to her "hunting" grounds. Lucky for me I was family.........

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Had nightmares last night: all those morels were growing, I offered someone some gin. Then I was blind-folded, put in car and taken out into the wilderness. A gun was put to my head, and I was told, "If you ever tell where you were at you're dead." Probably didn't help that I watched "Millers' Crossing" last night.

Out of this cold sweat I awoke at 5 a.m. and headed east. When I returned I had about 15 pounds of morels. I ain't talkemn. I still hear that oath. But will will say they were very fresh and small, so I think the season is now underway, boys.

dave

• 2 weeks later...
I posted some pictures on this thread. These big boys came from over near Joseph in NE Oregon.

Jim

Hey Jim,

Yours might be bigger, but I'll bet mine are more expensive..... Spent the whole day today screwing around in the Cascades - and about $25 on gas - for 8 small morels. Oh well, hope springs eternal. It sleeted, snowed and rained a little bit, maybe better morel days are ahead. It still seems early at some of the elevations.

Fortunately my wife is out of town so I don't have to share my "find" (or tell her how much they cost).

dave

I'm guessing the weather has something to do with it. A couple of weeks ago we had that little teaser of a warm spell, and that may have caused the morels to pop up. It's been much colder down here, and I'm guessing around Seattle, so maybe the mushrooms are just waiting.

Morels are the one mushroom I've never gone out looking for. We have much better luck with the fall (or late summer) mushrooms, but I'm also more familiar with the kind of places I'm likely to find chanterelles, boletes, and oysters.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Hubby was out with the mushroom group last weekend, and as per the article col klink linked to, they didn't find any morels. However, on the way home, he decided to give it one more try at a place that looked promising... and he got lucky and found and brought home 1 scant pound of perfect morels. I don't know the elevation he found them at.