• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paw paw

torakris

I made paw paw liqueur from some frozen paw paws my Mother-in-law transported on a plane from Virginia - I wonder how the TSA dealt with that...

In any case, since I had no idea what the taste would be like I infused it with vodka. It had a banana custard flavor and was naturally thick. I think rum would be a natural mixer or base for the liqueur. Bourbon would go very well too. I use the liqueur to make cocktails with my nutty liqueurs - hickory, black walnut, hazelnut etc. Since it also has a "tropical" side to it, I wondered if it would go well with citrus - from KatieLoeb's post - it sounds like it does, I'll try it with my citrus/tropical liqueurs and see what happens!

Something about pawpaws showed up a couple of years ago in another discussion, not specifically about this fruit.

At the time I found this site and copied the URL into a document.

I got some pawpaws from a friend (didn't ask how she got them into California) and made the bread in this post. Pretty good. My friend made the cream pie and her husband fermented some to add to a batch of beer, a recipe he got from an elderly relative.

I don't drink alcohol but I was told the beer was better than his pumpkin beer that won some award a few years ago.

Pawpaws grow wild in Kentucky and my aunts and cousins have lots of recipes for various dishes, mostly for things similar to where you would use bananas and similar very soft fruits.

My cousin tells me that the University of Kentucky has an extensive list of pawpaw recipes but I'm having a bit of difficult finding the site.

Will report back when she sends me the link.

Quick response and I am in error. It is Kentucky State University that has the info.

Here the main page.

This weekend is the OHIO Pawpaw festival!

And here is the recipe site.

Should be enough recipes there to satisfy anyone. I've heard of pawpaw panna cotta but the pawpaw zabaglione sound lovely.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you andiesenji! As usual, you come through in the clutch... :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

If you find a way to make the delicious flavor of the flesh translate to the drink without the slight sliminess/gelatinous texture let me know. Perhaps double straining?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

We had our first paw paws ever today, found them under a tree while hiking outside Toronto. They are very odd. Texture like custard, flavor like melon/banana with vanilla and bubblegum thrown in. Ours had a slightly sickening over-sweet taste -- the bubblegum effect, I think. My husband and I agreed that if one found a paw paw while hiking or playing in the woods and didn't have much of anything else to eat, the paw paw would be considered fairly good. But we wouldn't spend money on them.

Perhaps there are different varieties?