• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey sausage recipes?

hfaze

My fiancé doesn't eat pork (or cow or any other mammal :sad: ) so I'm wanting to make a sausage she can eat with her French toast in the morning. How can I turn a pack of ground turkey from the store and a few yet unnamed spices in to great patties? I like sweet sausages so a little maple syrup in the mix would be ok. :biggrin:

Also, are the any other tips for altering ground pork or beef recipes into turkey ones? Meatloaf is next.

edit: GAH! You can't fix misspellings in titles can you?

Edited by hfaze (log)

A typical sausage has a lot of fat in it, over 30%, while ground turkey is very low in fat (10%?). The problem you get with making a low-fat sausage is it will dry out. Have you thought about buying turkey or chicken thighs and grinding the meat yourself (you can do it in a food processor). I've seen people add fruit to poultry sausages to keep them moist.

Typical seasonings for a breakfasrt sausage are salt, pepper, sage, mace, and thyme.

no, not health reasons. she doesn't like to eat "cute" things. she was a vegetarian when we met - took me over a year to get her to eat chicken, turkey and fish.

i was wondering about the drying out part - any ideas on a good fruit to add? dried cranberries maybe ...

where would one get schmaltz? i've never seen in the local grocery store - or maybe i never looked on that aisle.

I've commonly seen apples added. Dried fruit wouldn't add much moisture.

Stone's smaltz idea is great. I've never seen smaltz in a store either but you can make it by taking chicken skin and all the fat from the outside of the chicken and putting in a pan over low heat. Cook it until the skin crips up.

it sounds strange, but add some mayo that is infused with sage (which will give the the breakfast sausage taste) The mayo trick works well. I always use it with turkey meatloaf or turkey burgers. I use dill mayo - fresh chopped dill and hellmans. About 2-3 tablespoons per pound of ground turkey.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

When I think turkey, I automatically think cranberry. And I'm thinking that for a breakfast sausage, cranberry would work pretty well with the turkey (and moisten it). That's all I got. Too late for my brain to work any harder than this. :blink:

I'd go with the duck fat idea. I wonderif soaking bread in milk like you do with meatballs would work too?

Also, I'm a fan of Morning Star Farms sausages. Give them a try.