• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roaster

forever_young_ca

I'll be roasting up a Prime Rib in mine this weekend. :smile:

What time should I be there?

Dinner's at 7:30 Cocktails at 5:00 :biggrin:

Two and a half hours for cocktails? I'll be under the table before the roast is on it.

Nah. We serve lovely little nibbly things to soak up the alcohol with! :biggrin: But then again, if you're under the table instead of at it, well, more roast for me :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'll be roasting up a Prime Rib in mine this weekend. :smile:

What time should I be there?

Dinner's at 7:30 Cocktails at 5:00 :biggrin:

Two and a half hours for cocktails? I'll be under the table before the roast is on it.

Nah. We serve lovely little nibbly things to soak up the alcohol with! :biggrin: But then again, if you're under the table instead of at it, well, more roast for me :rolleyes:

Not if you're already full of booze and little nibbly things.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It's all a matter of pacing yourself. :biggrin:

Marlene

I think I will end up with an All-Clad Roti, but in the meantime...I have a little used deep, black enameled steel roaster, about 16 X 11 X 6, with a lid that also could be used for a shallow (about 2 1/2 inch deep) roaster. What, if anything, is this roaster best suited for? How about roasting a pork loin in the shallow lid? Or would a cast iron skillet work better?

I think I will end up with an All-Clad Roti, but in the meantime...I have a little used deep, black enameled steel roaster, about 16 X 11 X 6, with a lid that also could be used for a shallow (about 2 1/2 inch deep) roaster. What, if anything, is this roaster best suited for? How about roasting a pork loin in the shallow lid? Or would a cast iron skillet work better?

To me, roasters and lids just don't go together, but what do I know :biggrin: . Is the lid flat enough for roasting? Normally, I don't suppose you would roast anything in the lid, but that's a pretty big roasting pan, good for a Turkey

Marlene

Hmm, perhaps the "lid" was intended as a shallow roaster to begin with. And yes, the lid is flat, not domed, and the roasting rack will fit in the lid, as well as in the deep roaster (it's a wire flat rack with arms to lift it out and feet to raise it slightly off the bottom, not a V-shaped rack). I think turkey is all I have ever used it for in the past. So, should the shallow lid work?

I would think so, if the rack will fit in the lid as well. Since it's a good idea to match the roast size to the pan you are using, you could make a giant roast pork and invite us all over :biggrin: But yes, it sounds shallow enough. As long as the lid is sturdy enough that it won't warp or bend when you are handling it.

Marlene

Thanks, Marlene. It's rigid and will not bend. So we'll see. The Pork Tenderloin is in the oven: tied with half dozen cloves of garlic sliced and inserted into knife slits, rubbed with salt, pepper, thyme, and EVOO. 450 for ten minutes, then reduced to 350.

Should have mentioned the shape is an oblong oval, not square like the A-C Roti. And I checked the heighth --- two inches, not 2 1/2. The Pork Tenderloin turned out okay. Basted it in redwine, but I overcooked it slightly (it was at 158 and I put it back in and it shot to 178 before I got it out again), so the very ends were dry, but the rest was moist. The top was not very brown. I had the oven rack in the middle, so guess I should have put it on top.

Oblong should be fine. I usually put a touch of shortening in the pan, and I use the lower rack to roast. At 158, it could have rested for 10-15 minutes and have been the temp you wanted. A llittle garlic and salt on top, helps the top brown nicely I find, unless of course, it wasn't very fatty. I always like to get well fatted roast porks on top. And I usually roast pork at 325. And unlike beef, I've never found pork to need that blast of higher temp at the beginning to brown it up. Takes a bit longer, but the slower cooking helps keep the roast moist and allows more time for browning. Just my 2cents :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Thanks, Marlene. This tenderloin did not have much fat left on it. I'll try the next one at 325 on the bottom rack.

Was it a Roast Pork or a Pork Tenderloin? Pork tenderloins tend not to have any fat on them or very little, and I find they work best when they are marinated in something such as one of these.

I also find red wine, by itself as a baste tend to dry out things more, not sure why! But I have a great red wine/butter/garlic baste that I use on beef tenderloin that would work equally well on the pork tenderloin I think.

Marlene

• 3 weeks later...

Marlene - I just thought I would let you know I used my All Clad roti pan tonight for the first time to roast a chicken - absolutely terrific results. :biggrin::biggrin:

I roasted a free range chicken very simply - the skin was crispy, the meat (even the breast meat) was juicy & succulent and the pan made the most amazing jus. I am sold! I got the large pan and love it so much I am going to go on the hunt for a deal on the small one as well.

The rest of the meal - Isreali couscous with wild mushrooms, broccoli, washed down with a 1989 burgundy. Dessert was strawberries done in grand marnier over coconut ice cream.

Thanks for your earlier help on the thread.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Funny, I was thinking about you Sat night when I was using mine :biggrin: I wondered whether you had tried it yet. That's what happened to me too. I got the small one first and I loved it so much I went out and bought the large one! Happy roasting!

Marlene