• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roaster

forever_young_ca

My current roasting pan is 30 years old and getting thin to the point that it is starting to burn food. Time for a new one!

I do love my All Clad saucepans & have been thinking about the All Clad roti. A search on their web site has revealed 2 choices:

1) http://www.allclad.com/search/catalog/disp...mage.asp?id=651 sugg retail $199.99

or

2) http://www.allclad.com/search/catalog/disp...mage.asp?id=409 sugg retail $260

The product information suggests a weight difference, but the difference may be due to the rack in the first item. Other than that I don't understand why $60 more for the 2nd product while the first product has the rack.

I have emailed All Clad for product information, but have had no response.

Has someone else reasearched this and could tell me? Has anyone else had experience with this product - good or bad? It is alot of money to shell out for one item, even if I manage to get it on sale.

Any other suggestions for a quality roaster?

Thanks to all who reply. :smile:

Life is short, eat dessert first

I think Marlene started a thread on this... maybe under roasting pan. I just tried searching under Marlene and roast and couldn't find it. Anyway, I know there was a thread somewhere.

The NYTimes also did an article comparing roasting pans, AllClad and some copper pan were at the top in terms of price and quality, but the author did recommend a less expensive version. I think you may have to pay for the article. It was in the Dining Section. Sorry I can't give you more information.

Thanks nerissa - I found the thread by Marlene http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...8084&hl=roaster

Marlene are you still happy with the petit roti?

If memory serves me right I think I saw the larger roti with the rack & red mitts at the Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver for a reasonable (?) price. Will go this weekend & check it out.

Cook's Illustrated reviewed roasting pans a while back, and I think you can probably find a link on their site, though it might be for members only.

They rated the All-Clad highest, but suggested that "occasional roasters" would probably be happy with a $20 Granite Ware.

I have to say that I agree with CI that $200 is a lot to spend on something I use once or twice a year. I roast once or twice a week, but more often than not, I use a sheet pan with a V-rack. The air circulation around the item being cooked is better, and it cost eight bucks.

Can somebody tell me why a dedicated roasting pan is really necessary?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I, like Dave, use a sheet pan with rack.

A friend in the food service industry gave it to me. I think the sides must be 1/2" high, so, yes, it is high enough. It's much bigger and heavier than your standard jelly roll pan or cookie sheet. It is big enough that when I put it on top of the stove, I usually use 2 burners.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I did a calculation: a half-sized sheet pan is 13" x 18" x 1". Skipping a lot of arithmetic that I won't post unless you really want me to, that is a volume of approximately two quarts. If you assume that filling it more than halfway is an invitation to sloshing, you can still deglaze with as much as two cups of liquid. Typically, I'll use 8 to 12 ounces, degaze and reduce, then transfer everything to a saucepan, anyway.

I find two drawbacks to the sheet pan: 1) sometimes there is a tendency to scorch at high roasting temperatures. But the pans nest, and you can double them up to create an insulating air cushion; 2) adsorption (expained on the thread linked above), which means that eventually the will pans discolor. This doesn't affect taste as far as I can tell. When it gets too yucky, I transfer it to another duty, or toss it and get a new one.

As for Yummy Crusty Bits, well, I wouldn't use sheet pans if I were deprived of those. It's a prime reason for roasting in the first place, isn't it? No savings is worth giving up YCBs.

Sheet pans come in three basic sizes: 18" x 26", 13" x 18" and 9" x 13". You can get them with flat racks, too, for roasting, cooling, holding prep work and flash freezing, just for starters -- I'm always finding new uses for them. I have four or five of each of the two smaller sizes hanging around (for less than half the cost of a nice roaster). For my money, they are among the most efficient cooking purchase I've ever made. They rank right up there with bench scrapers and cast-iron pans.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks nerissa - I found the thread by Marlene http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...8084&hl=roaster

Marlene are you still happy with the petit roti?

If memory serves me right I think I saw the larger roti with the rack & red mitts at the Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver for a reasonable (?) price.  Will go this weekend & check it out.

I have both the large and the small and I absolutely love them! I started with the small and I liked it so much I bought the bigger one as well. They are terrific!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene - I am almost convinced - I know how much I love my All Clad saucepans. Which model of the larger one did you buy - the one with the rack (which is cheaper for some reason) or the without the rack?

Does the All Clad roaster produce the YCBs? :unsure:

The problem I see with a sheet rack (I have used them in the past) is purely a personal one and based on extreme laziness on my part - I hate cleaning them! The one I have used looks disgusting at the moment and is warped beyond redemption. I was hoping to be able to put the new roaster in the dishwasher. I know a waste of water, but I am the first to admit I love to cook, but hate to clean up! :laugh:

Marlene - I am almost convinced - I know how much I love my All Clad saucepans.  Which model of the larger one did you buy - the one with the rack (which is cheaper for some reason) or the without the rack?

Does the All Clad roaster produce the YCBs?  :unsure:

The problem I see with a sheet rack (I have used them in the past) is purely a personal one and based on extreme laziness on my part - I hate cleaning them!  The one I have used looks disgusting at the moment and is warped beyond redemption.  I was hoping to be able to put the new roaster in the dishwasher.  I know a waste of water, but I am the first to admit I love to cook, but hate to clean up!  :laugh:

What are YCBs? :blink: Oh wait I think I got it. Yummy crispy bits? Oh yes. Better than any roasting pan I've ever had. Fabulous gravies and au jus. Both of mine have the racks. Sometimes I use them, sometimes not. I always put them in the dishwasher. Occasionally, aftwards, they've needed a slight rub with a stainless steel cleaner, but it was a no brainer. I hate cleaning up too! :biggrin:

They sure weren't cheap, but they are so worth it!

Marlene

Thanks Marlene - you have convinced me about the YCBs and the dishwasher capability is a big bonus!  :laugh:

Now I am on the hunt this weekend for one at a decent price.  :hmmm:

Williams Sonoma in the Eaton Centre (see I'm assuming you're in Toronto) was having a sale on the large ones, but I don't know if it's still on. I got the small one at a specialty kitchen store in Oakville because they are much harder to find.

You're gonna love this pan!

Marlene

I am in the Vancouver area.

However, the Gourmet Warehouse here has All Clad at simply amazing prices.

Thanks, will let you know if I get it! :smile:

forever_young_ca

I'd like to suggest you also check out Ming Wo at 23 E. Pender Street in Chinatown. They usually have very good prices for All Clad as well. Here's a link to their web site : :smile:

http://www.mingwo.com/company.htm

Edited to add: I have a big old cast iron frying pan that I've been using for roasting and it's working very well.

Edited by capers (log)

Marlene - I am almost convinced - I know how much I love my All Clad saucepans.  Which model of the larger one did you buy - the one with the rack (which is cheaper for some reason) or the without the rack?

Does the All Clad roaster produce the YCBs?  :unsure:

The problem I see with a sheet rack (I have used them in the past) is purely a personal one and based on extreme laziness on my part - I hate cleaning them!  The one I have used looks disgusting at the moment and is warped beyond redemption.  I was hoping to be able to put the new roaster in the dishwasher.  I know a waste of water, but I am the first to admit I love to cook, but hate to clean up!  :laugh:

If I found All Clad at amazing prices here, I'd buy as much as I could afford. I love all their stuff :smile:

Marlene

Thanks Capers - yes, Ming Wo was already on my list of places to check out. I love the Chinatown store. I bought a great Le Crueset 5.3 litre dutch oven there in March when they the entire line 25% off - got a great deal :biggrin:

Thanks Capers - yes, Ming Wo was already on my list of places to check out.  I love the Chinatown store.  I bought a great Le Crueset 5.3 litre dutch oven there in March when they the entire line 25% off - got a great deal   :biggrin:

Not sure if you are aware of this or not but lately I have found pieces of Le Creuset & Mauviel Cuprinox French Copper Cookware at Winners. Most likely discontinued colors but they are selling for half the price. The copper is a great price as well. A friend gave me the heads up so I checked it out - they receive new stock every Thursday and that's when I go skulking. :biggrin:

Edited by capers (log)

I am now the proud new owner of the All Clad large Roti pan. :biggrin::biggrin:

I was the successful winner tonight on an Ebay auction - got it about $110 Canadian cheaper on Ebay than I found it in local Vancouver stores (even with a 25% off sale at Ming Wo.) The big plus on Ebay is there is no 7% GST nor 7.5% BC sales tax.

I can hardly wait to get it - am so excited - must decide what I will roast in it for the first time.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

PS - Both Winners & Home Sense have very good prices on Le Crueset. I checked it out last weekend, but was saving my pennies for the Roti pan.

I am now the proud new owner of the All Clad large Roti pan.    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

I was the successful winner tonight on an Ebay auction - got it about $110 Canadian cheaper on Ebay than I found it in local Vancouver stores (even with a 25% off sale at Ming Wo.)  The big plus on Ebay is there is no 7% GST nor 7.5% BC sales tax.

I can hardly wait to get it - am so excited - must decide what I will roast in it for the first time.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

PS - Both Winners & Home Sense have very good prices on Le Crueset.  I checked it out last weekend, but was saving my pennies for the Roti pan.

That is an excellent price! Did yu get the rack too? Happy roasting!

Marlene

I got the rack & the racey red oven mitts. Was very lucky to get it as not that many Ebay sellers ship to Canada.

Can hardly wait to get the item.

This is my first Ebay bid/purchase - I live a very sheltered live I guess! It is a whole new world! I am still grinning :biggrin::biggrin:

I- I live a very sheltered live I guess!

Yes but you're an accountant just emerging from tax season :biggrin: It's really hard to find vendors to ship to Canada. I have an ongoing problem with Amazon.com for this reason as well. You'd think they'd find a way to figure it out. Think of the money we could spend! :biggrin: I've never tried e-bay though. Let me know when you get it and how you're first roast turns out! I'll be roasting up a Prime Rib in mine this weekend. :smile:

Marlene

I'll be roasting up a Prime Rib in mine this weekend. :smile:

What time should I be there?

Dinner's at 7:30 Cocktails at 5:00 :biggrin:

Marlene