• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English vineyards gain credibility

No they haven't. Every single one of my wine writing colleagues does one of these pieces about once every two years. My own newspaper's wine columnist did it a couple of weeks back. But here's the thing: whatever the FT says, I have yet to drink an english wine that didn't make me wish I was actually drinking a wine from france, italy or spain or New Zealand or indeed anywhere other than Kent. They ahve all, to the last drop, been 'shite', which is a techincal food and drink writers' term.

Jay

I'm not kidding. Try the stuff. Ten years from now there will be several English sparkling wines with big reputations - our climate and our soils are very similar to those you find in Champagne.

Camel Valley Brut from Cornwall is really good too.

Adam

Nyetimber's prestige product is a blanc de blancs - 100 per cent chardonnay. Camel Valley is chardonnay and pinot noir, and I think has pinot meunier too. I agree that _most_ English wine has been Germanic up to now, but I suspect that you'll see a shift towards champagne grapes in those who are making fizz. There is a realisation in the industry that we don't have the climate for table wines - not enough heat. But sparkling wine is rather different.

As to champagne not being so exciting? Ordinary champagne I agree with you. Good champagne is not exciting? The market begs to differ, so do I.

Honestly, if you get chance to taste Nyetimber, do. It's not cheap - about seventeen quid a bottle I think - but it is really worth trying.

Adam

Our local Coton Orchard used to make a quite acceptable light lunch wine.

Unfortunately they have been taken over, and once the new accountants calculated the true cost, the vinyard has been grubbed up.

As to champagne not being so exciting? Ordinary champagne I agree with you. Good champagne is not exciting? The market begs to differ, so do I.

I should have said "Still" Champagne (eg. not sparkling), not still Champagne. Hehehe, stupid English language.

How would this "Nyetimbe"r, rate against the NZ "Pelorus" or Tasmanian "Pirie"?

Ah, I see - I read a comma where there wasn't one. You're dead right about still champagne - have you tried Bouzy rouge? - it's not great IMHO.

I haven't tasted those wines against each other, though I've had a lot of Pelorus and several bottles of Pirie (best New World fizz I've had). Maybe a bit less upfront, slightly more restrained? But not outclassed in any way, I'd guess.

Adam

There is a great episode of Chef where Garreth enters a cooking competition in France and, after a series of predictable mishaps, is forced to go to a wine store (in France) to ask for le vin anglaise.

Classic. :biggrin: