• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opryland Good Eats

TrishCT

Gonna have a strange summer... first traveling to Chicago and Wisconsin (for pleasure) in July, then in August visiting Tennessee (husband has a convention and is taking me along for the ride.)

We are staying at the Opryland Hotel for 5 nights... Some meals are included as part of the convention, but have some breakfasts, lunches and dinners free....

I have never been here before. Any recommendations on places to eat or sights to see would be appreciated. Keep in mind we won't have a car so will have to walk or cab it around....

What's fun?? :biggrin:

Thanks, Trish

Trish -- You should really consider renting a car. Opryland Hotel is in the middle of a vast culinary desert (miles from anywhere you would want to go either for food or for "attractions", save for the hotel itself). You will spend more in cab fare for a couple of trips away from the hotel than you would on the car.

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Nashville is a cool town with a happening downtown area. Sadly, Opryland is nowhere near this. Rent a car. Nashville is easy to navigate and a rental car will be very cheap. Stop in any of the little bars downtown to hear some good music. You never know when Emmylou, Gillian Welch, or Lucinda might be hanging out or sitting in with someone.

Yikes... Looks like I will have to explore the rental car possibilities because I refuse to stay at that hotel for 5 days while my husband is at a convention.... I need diversions! :wacko:

Assuming I succeed in my goal and get the car.... what's happening...? Also, has anyone eaten at any of the joints in the Opryland Hotel?

I've never had a great meal in the Opryland Hotel. The hotel really concentrates on convention business. What Nashville does best is in the plate lunch or meat & three arena. Places like Swett's, Arnold's, Sylvan Park, Monell's, Elliston Place Soda Shop, Roteir's, etc... are all good examples of this. If you are looking for something more upscale, there are a lot more choices now, but I have not sampled a lot of them. I would recommend you check out Kay West's restaurant reviews in the Nashville Scene for further guidance. Good luck!

Nashville Scene

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

I would second checking out Kay's reviews in the Scene. As for some smallish chef/owner restaurants I would recomend the following: The Yellow Porch, Zola, Park Cafe, Chapel Bistro and Margot's.