• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

Bought these to send to my sister's kids, so we haven't eaten any yet ourselves...but I assume they are at least somewhat hot!

Kameda's "Dodekaki" hot and spicy giant-size kaki-no-tane...don't appear to be listed on Kameda's site.

Hiroyuki, we'll look out for the Habaneros. I'm a great fan of Tohato, ever since my husband won a carton of assorted snacks from them for a short story! (His short stories are not usually so popular, because he finds it hard to leave any characters alive by the last paragraph... :unsure: ).

Tohato's Habanero are great and I don't have to share them with the kids! and the bags last a really long time. :biggrin:

those dodekaki are huge Helen, I have never seen those before...

speaking of Tohato, yesterday at the 100 yen shop I found this

gallery_6134_549_5825.jpg

caramel corn with matcha milk flavor. I assumed it was edamame when I saw the package.....

haven't tried them yet, but I picked up their strawberry flavored ones like two weeks ago and they were REALLY good.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

I should know better by now. Never, ever go on a snack run at the supermarket when you're hungry. The sheer volume of snack food that my son and I walked out of the store with was absolutely obscene. Oh well. At least I vow to eat it gradually. :rolleyes:

Noah asked for these:

gallery_18820_1156_54783.jpg

And I'm munching on these as I type.

gallery_18820_1156_19822.jpg

Holy jumpin' snack food Batman! Where have these garlic-toast flavoured corn sticks been all my life! Just salty enough, a hint of butter and loads of garlic. Needless to say, this is my latest and greatest.

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I have never seen those second ones, they sound great. the poteko (first ones) are very popular here and a favorite of all children! My kids like to pile them on their fingers up to the tip and them eat them off one by one... :hmmm:

These just jumped into my shopping basket

gallery_6134_1003_24944.jpg

Cafe Latte Kit Kat

quite good actually :biggrin:

After devouring the package I notice it says on the back that they are even better chilled, guess I will need to get them again...

These just jumped into my shopping basket

gallery_6134_1003_24944.jpg

Cafe Latte Kit Kat

quite good actually :biggrin:

After devouring the package I notice it says on the back that they are even better chilled, guess I will need to get them again...

I just bought these the other day, too! Haven't had them, yet. I'll have to put them in the fridge...

I also saw some Kit Kats that weren't covered in chocolate. Interesting...My favourites are still the little ones in the gold box.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across some Tohato green bean puffs the other day at the supermarket. They're shaped like crispy Cheetos but are more puffy - I've had them before, but the particular kind I saw had shitake mushroom flavouring as well! They were really good, & I could really taste the mushroom flavour - I would have finished the whole bag if my mom hadn't stopped me...

I came across some Tohato green bean puffs the other day at the supermarket.  They're shaped like crispy Cheetos but are more puffy - I've had them before, but the particular kind I saw had shitake mushroom flavouring as well!  They were really good, & I could really taste the mushroom flavour - I would have finished the whole bag if my mom hadn't stopped me...

Oooh, these sound awesome... I love shiitake mushrooms. I'll have to look for these the next time I'm at T&T.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Here is some delicious Yubari Melon-Chocolates I bought recently. Our store here had a "Hokkaido Fair", I think these are from Sapporo.

MeronChoco.jpg

They look like a melon cut in half - like a half of a round ball, the outside is a greeninsh color with a melon texture, with an orange center! Cute and delicious!

I was scanning the snack area of a nearby convenience store today and found this

gallery_6134_1003_27774.jpg

kurogoma pocky (black sesame seed flavor)

It says on the package that it is a kurogo (黒五) blend meaning it is a mix of 5 black seeds/grains/beans/whatever :hmmm: .The 5 include:

black sesame

black rice

black beans

black pine nuts (I never knew these existed..)

black currant

These are actually quite good, the first one was a bit odd but aws I got used to the sweetened sesame flavor I really started to enjoy them.

The price on them was 200yen ($2) which is about 50 yen ($.50) more than your average pocky. When I made my way up to the register though I noticed a large display saying they were on special for only 100 yen ($1) a box), which is very cheap!

I may head back for some more. :biggrin:

our local store was out of morinaga brand choco flake for the longest time.

our other local store seemed to be out too. i am sure they both use the same vendor for morinaga snacks.

i needed a fix as i hadnt had any for a long time, so i reluctantly bought nissin brand choco flakes. (note, they are choco flakes, not choco flake.)

wow! what a difference! the nissin brand stuff is waxy and the chocolate taste is horrible... a pale comparison and unfortunately not a good substitute. i am always a big fan of redundancy, but this is just not such a case...

is it really that difficult to mass produce these things?

noticed that jacques torres has a recipe for chocolate covered corn flakes in his book dessert circus... maybe homemade is the way to go when theres no choco flake to be had. it might even be better!

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

kurogoma pocky (black sesame seed flavor)

It says on the package that it is a kurogo (黒五) blend meaning it is a mix of 5 black seeds/grains/beans/whatever  .The 5 include:

black sesame

black rice

black beans

black pine nuts (I never knew these existed..)

black currant

I picked some of these up when I was in Japan in march and they are very good indeed. I gave them as omiyage to some friends here in London and everyone is craving more.... If I could find a way to buy these from a website that sends them overseas, I'd buy a bunch!

one of my favorite hot day snacks

gallery_6134_1003_7398.jpg

Jellied coffee with fresh cream

I especially like the ones from Chateraise, an ice cream/bakery chain, it is only 84 yen (less than $.80)

I once tried the baked potato flavour of Kabaya pretz sticks & was really disappointed - the picture looked like the Pretz one (minus the cheese) & looked really good... Too bad I couldn't taste the potato... :angry:

I can't really remember the cheese pretz, but I think I didn't like those either. These had no cheese flavor whatsoever.... :angry:

another dud :hmmm:

gallery_6134_1003_36738.jpg

tongari corn in a tuna-mayo flavor

I really don't know what I was expecting since I don't care for tuna-mayo in the first place.....

flavorless...

• 2 weeks later...

Got a box of Kabaya sticks recently 4th row down, 1st on the left

I like the biscuit stick better than the Pocky ones - crunchier! Looks like the flavour is supposed to be cookies & cream? Not too much cookie flavour (the little black bits in the white chocolate are supposed to be cookie bits), & the ingredients said it has red bean as well, but I couldn't taste it. However, these are pretty tasty, even though they don't really taste like cookies & cream! :rolleyes: Next up, cheesecake flavoured Pocky!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edited because I accidentally linked to directly to the pictures, oops!

Edited by chocomoo (log)

Hi-chew lovers, check this out!!

gallery_6134_1003_42827.jpg

Hi-chew ice cream :shock:

This was really good, I can't even begin to describe the consistency, it was similar to a high chew but not as chewy, but chewier than any ice cream I have ever eaten. I have never had anything like it and I will definitely have it again. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried the cheesecake Pocky - it had a bit of the sourness of lemon mixed in, which was nice, because I don't like it when citrus-flavoured things have no sour or tart taste at all. I also tried reverse Pocky. Nice crunchy dark chocolate biscuit on the outside, white chocolate on the inside. I still prefer Pocky G though - I like the biscuit to chocolate ratio better, which is why I don't like mousse Pocky that much. Plus, is it my imagination or is the biscuit in mousse Pocky different than the biscuit in normal Pocky?

By the way, mango pudding caramel corn sounds yummy! :wub: