• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

Oh god. I cant recount them all.

rice crackers of all kinds... especially the wasabi flavored ones. Crunchy stuff covered with nori.

POCKY!

Pretz...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

when I first came here I was addicted to these chocolate covered almonds.

My current favorite snack (if it can be called a snack) are Hi-chu (chew?) these are sort of like starburst but 100 times better, my favorite flavor is sakuranbo (Japanese cherry)

I love anything ume flavored or sour, like vinegared konbu.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 months later...

I LOVE Hi-Chew!! They sell them here too, actually (again, at the Asian supermarkets...I don't know where I'd be without them...). I've seen the Japanese cherry flavour, but have yet to try it...There's also a new candy by Uha (sp?) that makes candies that are similar to Hi-Chew, but there are little gummy bits inside--in my opinion, even better than Hi-Chew. I've tried the grape, orange, & just bought strawberry. I really like the grape one--I sent them to my boyfriend & he loved them too!

Snacks....so many.....too many....I really love Wasabi peas...I've discovered that Kasugai makes the best ones--they're more Wasabi-ish. Once, at a trendy "home-living" store, I saw wasabi peas packaged really nicely into a tiny plastic cube, & they were something like C$5, something ridiculous like that. They're usually C$2 a bag here.

I also love Pocky, although I like Pretz more. There's a new Pretz flavour here--Digestive. On the box it has a picture of honey & wheat, which I thought it would taste like--like Digestive cookies...Unfortunately, they tasted more like sweet butter pretz...kinda disappointing, although they weren't too bad...Too buttery though...

I don't tend to buy rice crackers here--I try to be more adventurous & try things that're more out of the ordinary....Oh, I really like these crackers called "Beano" (or is that the brand name?), & they're puffy bean thingies...like cheese puffs, except with bean in them...They don't sound that appetizing, but they are!

my favorite snack of late are these puffed corn things. I don't buy many snacks but these are really cheap less then $1 for a large bag and they are really addictive.

Calbee Karl (that farmer dude with the frog) Corn Potage flavour....soooo gooood

For a few years, I was addicted to "Obasan's pota pota yaki"..the trick is to eat it sauce side down...hmmm

Meiji also makes this macademia nut covered with chocolate....I can go on...but it will just make me run out and raid the nearest asian mart.....

my favorite snack of late are these puffed corn things.

The ones that look like puffy Cheesies but aren't? What flavours are available in Japan? I've tried the maple syrup & strawberry ones, and yesterday I saw the green tea one & am going to try that flavour next time. I tend to like salty snacks though.

The ones that look like puffy Cheesies but aren't? What flavours are available in Japan? I've tried the maple syrup & strawberry ones, and yesterday I saw the green tea one & am going to try that flavour next time. I tend to like salty snacks though.

they have flavored ones?

Maybe we are thinking different things, these are actually corn kernels puffed up they are sort of a yellow brown and taste a little like sugar smacks (the cereal) but not as sweet.

they have flavored ones?

Maybe we are thinking different things, these are actually corn kernels puffed up they are sort of a yellow brown and taste a little like sugar smacks (the cereal) but not as sweet.

Ohhhhh, yeah, we're talking about totally different things ^___^ I can picture what you're talking about, but I've never actually seen them before.

Do you mean "Caramel-Corn"? The ones in a red packaging? They are really good! The original flavour I was totally a slave to for years. Now they've come up with Cheesecake flavour....I've bought it but I haven't tried it yet.

No, I don't think torakris is talking about "Caramel-Corn"--that's what I thought she was talking about too, but from the sounds of it (the "puffed up corn kernels" part), it's not "Caramel-Corn". Cheesecake flavour? That sounds really good!! I looked for it at the supermarket, but didn't find it. I did try the green tea one though, & it wasn't too bad!

No, I don't think torakris is talking about "Caramel-Corn"--that's what I thought she was talking about too, but from the sounds of it (the "puffed up corn kernels" part), it's not "Caramel-Corn".  Cheesecake flavour?  That sounds really good!!  I looked for it at the supermarket, but didn't find it.  I did try the green tea one though, & it wasn't too bad!

This is what I am talking about:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/zjb/jpg/oyatu04.jpg

It is called jumbo corn, but I did find something called walking popcorn that was caramel flavored (different from caramel corn :wink: ) but i didn't see a cheese cake flavor.

This one thing I hate about snacks/chocolates/drinks in Japan, they put a product out for a month and then remove it never to be seen again! :angry:

This one thing I hate about snacks/chocolates/drinks in Japan, they put a product out for a month and then remove it never to be seen again! :angry:

Speaking of which, is Royal Milk Tea-flavoured stuff exist there anymore? I remember Pocky even had a Royal Milk Tea flavour, which was extremely delicious, but I only saw it for a few months. Pocky has a new flavour called "Choco Banana" here now--I almost always try new Pocky flavours, but I'm kinda wary about this one because I hate fake banana flavour. Anyone tried it yet?

milk tea flavor is still quite popular over here, anywhere you go there are milk tea breads, cakes, puddings, snacks etc.

• 4 months later...
My friend came back from Fukuoka and brought me a box of Glico Pretz.  It was not an ordinary Butter flavored Pretz.  It was a Miso Ramen flavored Pretz!  It really tasts like Miso Ramen.

Mm, miso ramen flavour.... :raz: I tried a bunch of the new-ish (in Canada) flavours of Pretz, and they were a bit disappointing. The cocoa pretz hardly tasted different from butter pretz, and the curry one tasted really weird--some weird spices in it, I think. My uncle & dad liked the curry one though. I also tried Pocky G, which I thought was really good--better than the normal chocolate Pocky. It's crispier, & the biscuit is a chocolate one.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I've a friend in Adelaide, Australia who owns a Japanese restaurant - he is actually Japanese :biggrin: and everytime I go in there for dinner I end up walking out with a bottle of Aramasa Junmaishu Sake (1.8L) and a couple of containers of what I'd call bar snacks. I have no idea what the things are called so bear with me please - there's small dried fish, wasabi rice crackers, something rice cracker like made out of nori. My fav tho would have to be those dried little fish - I guess it's coz my wife leaves me alone while I'm eating them and drinking sake :biggrin:

Regards

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Those little fish are great!.

I have some niboshi, bigger fish that are used for stock making, in a 500g(1lb) bag that my husband and son (age 3) have managed to work their way through in about a week.... :angry: