• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

Yes, I was thinking about the Megmilk logo. I remember thinking at the time that it was so barefaced, to just put on a different hat and say, "Hey, this is not that bad guy, this is some other guy!"

Since my husband has a longstanding anti-Morinaga thing going, adding Yukijirushi to the list has made our house almost an "okashi-free zone". But Tohato are in favor, because he once won an award in an essay competition, and received a carton full of Tohato goodies. To tell the truth, apart from the Caramel Corn, Tohato do make some very tasty items...my favorite is probably their thin, crispy "Harvest" cookies with sesame. I like their salty shortbread cookies too.

I found this site, which shows all the packages of Meiji's milk chocolate since its release in 1926. I think I like this one (1955-1971) the best.

I recently bought three milk chocolates from three different manufacturers, Meiji, Morinaga, and Lotte, in an attempt to determine which one was the best, as I mentioned here.

Two new kitkats--vegetable and fruit juice (or something like that), and some kind of one with red bean and kinako. Ohagi? I've not tried either, yet. I only bought one of the vegetable and fruit juice (for my colleague--I really don't think I'll be interested in it), and two of the ohagi (one for each of us!).

And more exciting news for me. . . yuzu pure! I love pure, and I think I'll love the yuzu one! I didn't have time to pick up a bag, yet, but I'll do it soon!

And finally. . .

Chocolate-covered karinto. OMG it's good. I wish the karinto were thicker, but they're still really really good. Too bad they're so expensive (from Royce).

Tohato do make some very tasty items...my favorite is probably their thin, crispy "Harvest" cookies with sesame.

My Great-Aunt Mitsy (I think her proper name is actually Mitsue) used to send Mom care packages of goodies that included those Harvest cookies. I love those, but had to stop buying them when my oldest child was diagnosed with sesame allergy.

Cheryl

For the first time ever, shio to caramel mini kitkats!!

Someone had mentioned finding shio caramel pudding kitkats before, but when I did a search on the site, there was only caramel, no shio caramel (they used to have a retrospective of their kitkat flavours). So I can't wait to try it!

Ume Pure has a bit of shiso flavour (to my taste buds). Not so great. Bought the yuzu, but haven't tried it, yet.

1) My son told me that the Yamanote line trains have been "chocolate coated" by Meiji (lookee) in a centennary promotion.

2) Those shio-caramel Kitkats have also come under investigation from both sons, who think it's one of the better special flavors!

3) Harvest cookies...I checked while at the supermarket recently, and the Cocoa Harvest cookies don't contain any sesame. I got each member of my family to also read the ingredients list too, to make sure my eyes hadn't just skipped over it. The dots shown on the package are cocoa nibs, not sesame seeds. Naturally, they don't taste like the original sesame Harvest cookies though - they are a dark but not oversweet crisp thin cocoa cookie.

• 5 months later...

Has durian-flavored Hi-Chu been discussed before? I bought one pack for the very first time today. Both my children said it tasted like gasoline(!?), and spitted it out after all. I didn't think it tasted like gasoline, but I can' say I like the flavor.

I haven't seen that yet (but I haven't really been looking). It sounds like something I would have normally picked up to try but after hearing your report I think I'll save my 100 yen to buy my newest addiction Lotte's salt caramels. (2nd row)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

Concession speech made by Kinoko no Yama, in which he says Takenoko no Sato is surely tasty.

Takenoko no sato outdoes Kinoko no Yama in popularity and in sales. But I must add that I prefer Kinoko no Yama!!

Holy cow, that's one phallic mushroom! I'm a Takenoko no Sato girl myself.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is a huge fan of Country Ma'am from Fujiya. I recently bought a pack of the Ujikintoki version, available for a limited period only.

Photos can be found here.

I'm not a big fan of matcha-flavored sweets in general (although I like to have green tea), but I find the Ujikintoki-flavored cookie to be quite good.