• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

Yeah, I'm sure they are. I'm seeing them being quite good for topping soups etc, much like croutons..?

This kind of snack is usually a "sake no sakana" (food to eat with sake) for men.

But it's also good for children and pregnant women (so says the pack shown upthread).

These are seasoned bones of the "kisu" fish. I tasted them in a depachika and loved them. The fact that they have so much calcium and are tasty was really the selling point for me. They really are addictive and before I knew it, they were gone! I haven't been able to find them again, but sardine (iwashi) bones are very easy to find. I bought three packs for ¥1000 in Ueno. One was spicy, seasoned with mentaiko. I liked the kisu senbei more, but the iwashi senbei is a much more reasonable price!

gallery_31440_3297_164061.jpg

I found this Kit Kat yesterday

gallery_6134_2590_35734.jpg

I think they are trying to hard..

Matcha, kinako (roasted soy bean powder) and Ume (pickled plum) all together? All I could taste was the matcha...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

...Wow...I like to keep an open mind but I'm having a hard time getting that one straight in my mind, peony. Eel bones...Are they the Eel's vertebrae, flavoured/spiced?

that was actually my first reaction when I was this packet of bones.... :blink:

but after tasting them, I just can't stop munching....they are really good....

peony

I like almost everything I've eaten so far - The only thing I've never been able to hack is strong fish - Salmon too is borderline and finding a bone, particularly those little round spinal ones is the one thing that puts me off. I don't know why, they're just bones and I happily chew meats off of the bone but little fish bones make me queasy.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

this is my fav snack while in Kyoto but I bought this from Hamamatsu, abt 4 hr ride from Kyoto.

they are eel bones, very crunchy and addictive....

Jap329.jpg

I wanted some of those so I tried to find them by searching Hamamatsu and found these interesting nightime cookies made out of Eelbone Powder, Flour, Sugar, Butter and sometimes Garlic...

http://www.shunkado.co.jp/unagipai/unagipai_top.htm

(Wondering if Kristins had them)

EDITED to add, I really miss these senbei that tasted like Okonomiyaki, those were my faves.

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I can understand matcha+kinako... I've made waffles with that combination.

But I don't see how ume would fit in...

I found this Kit Kat yesterday

I think they are trying to hard..

Matcha, kinako (roasted soy bean powder) and Ume (pickled plum) all together? All I could taste was the matcha...

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

the fried chicken snack is fantastic, glorified rice

I used to get it in korea and I loved the little drumstick shaped snacks.  Americans should make more "meat flavoured" snacks

I know! It is very good!

And Americans should take a lot more from the Japanese as far as foods are concerned...

(other things too!)

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Kyushu last weekend (second time in less than a month!) and found some interesting KitKat at the omiyage store. It was labelled as a special Kyushu flavour, and it was on of the Patissiere Takagi line. I think it was mango and something else, enrobed in white chocolate. I wanted to buy some, but it would have been Y1000 for 10 2-packs of the stuff, and I was poor! I wish I had at least taken a picture... :sad:

It came in a really nice box, too!

I have a question for everyone here. Maybe the answer is already somewhere on eGullet, or even in this topic, but the word is too short for the "search" function to work.

What is the meaning of "iso" in "iso peanuts" (etc.)? I know the snacks are covered with a crunchy arare shell. The snacks are tremendously popular in Hawaii, where they've become a local favorite, and they're always referred to with the "iso" prefix. Is "iso" a place name?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I have a question for everyone here. Maybe the answer is already somewhere on eGullet, or even in this topic, but the word is too short for the "search" function to work.

What is the meaning of "iso" in "iso peanuts" (etc.)? I know the snacks are covered with a crunchy arare shell. The snacks are tremendously popular in Hawaii, where they've become a local favorite, and they're always referred to with the "iso" prefix. Is "iso" a place name?

I got it! You are talking about something like this? They are called iso peanuts because the shell contains nori.

Iso is 磯, meaning beach, shore, or seashore. The word iso or iso fuumi (磯風味), which means iso-flavored, is often used to mean that the product is flavored with some kind of seafood, especially seaweed such as aonori, nori, kombu, or wakame.

Thus, "chikuwa no iso-age" is usually chikuwa (a type of fish paste) deep-fried with batter containing aonori, and iso salad may mean salad containing various types of seaweed.

I got it!  You are talking about something like this?  They are called iso peanuts because the shell contains nori.

Iso is 磯, meaning beach, shore, or seashore.  The word iso or iso fuumi (磯風味), which means iso-flavored, is often used to mean that the product is flavored with some kind of seafood, especially seaweed such as aonori, nori, kombu, or wakame.

That's them! Thanks!!! There are so many varieties here (red iso peanuts, wasabi iso peanuts, even chocolate-covered iso peanuts!) that it never occurred to me that the defining feature is the presence of nori flecks. :laugh:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Just a quick note to let everyone know you shouldn't waste your 100 yen on the new adzuki (read bean) KitKat. It was quite gross...

I have a picture I will put up later.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The other day I noticed a new kind of Pocky at the grocery store in the cookie aisle - not the Asian food aisle where all the Pocky products usually are. They were made by LU Biscuits, and they didn't look like they had any Japanese on them so I'm assuming they're not an import. Are these available in Japan? I couldn't find anything about them on the LU website, now I'm curious...

3ynq6j7.jpg

These are todays purchases...

Lemon & Whipped Cream Fran and Kiwami Cacao Fran.

The bag of Ajinomoto frozen Kare-age was much coveted, since

they are always sold out everywhere I go...

Tomorrow I eat Natto for breakfast!

Thanks for the photo. Report on how you have had your Korean mochi, cod roe spaghetti sauce, and barley tea in appropriate threads, please!

P.S. I can't find Korean mochi around here. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a whole bunch of junk food on Saturday!

3 flavours of Calbee chips: Korean grilled squid (really good! It even had a bit of that "grill" flavour! Not as hot as I thought it'd be though), gyoza (which I've tried before - I really like it), and bratwurst (I haven't tried it yet).

Two new flavours of Fran: extra dark & extra strawberry. The boxes looked so slick, I couldn't resist buying them! The strawberry smelled just like strawberry Pocky (so not too promising), but there was a nice bit of tartness to it. I wish it were more tart though. The dark one was ok - nice & dark, but nothing special. Verdict: not bad, but not my favourites.