• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

Since you mentioned this I have been looking for these everywhere and can't find them!! Are they over??

I don't know if they're over, yet. I just bought mine last week, but i was gone all summer so I don't know how long they were around before that. I bought them at Lawson's, I think. If it's not raining tomorrow morning, I'll see if they still have them, and I'll download the pics tomorrow so you can see what the bag looks like.

The tortilla chips are black, by the way, and the bag is white with pink, with a woman on a mama-chari and a man on it.

Found this treat at the 7 & IHoldings today:

gallery_37846_3569_44248.jpg

Yuzu-shichimi flavoured potato chips!  Yum!

[edit corrected URL]

I saw these at a convenience store the other day and was going to try them but ended up going for a Dr. Pepper instead. :biggrin: It was a really muggy day and I had been riding my bike around and the pop just hit the spot better...

How are they?

(I love Dr. Pepper. Got hooked on it during summer visits to New Mexico when I was a kid.)

I didn't always like shichimi but that changed when I discovered how nicely it goes with udon. On these chips, it definitely works for me -- the light taste of the Yuzu contrasts nicely with the shichimi. It seems at least a few other people agree -- the part of the shelf allocated to this kind was stripped clean bar the one I bought.

Say, have you ever run across any local brands with a salt-and-vinegar flavour? It's always surprised me no one has tried marketing tsu-jyoyu chips.

At Daiei today I found "Cooking Doritos". They come in two flavours--plain salt, and sour creaam. Judging by the bag, they're not supposed to be eaten, straight, but used as garnishes in dishes, or for dipping.

They're more than Y200 for a regular Japanese-sized bag, so it would actually be cheaper to buy the big bag of imported Doritoes...

At Daiei today I found "Cooking Doritos".  They come in two flavours--plain salt, and sour creaam.  Judging by the bag, they're not supposed to be eaten, straight, but used as garnishes in dishes, or for dipping. 

They're more than Y200 for a regular Japanese-sized bag, so it would actually be cheaper to buy the big bag of imported Doritoes...

Cooking doritos???

I guess they have to find a reason to charge more for them...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Cooking doritos???

I guess they have to find a reason to charge more for them...

That's what I thought, too! I was tempted to try the sour cream ones, though. I'm a sucker for anything with sour cream, but since I'm trying to be frugal these days, I had to pass.

Here are the "Adult" Doritos

gallery_11355_614_56690.jpg

The black comes from takesumi, as you can read from the bag. (bamboo ash/coal for those who don't read kanji).

gallery_11355_614_17661.jpg

Haven't gotten a chance to see if Lawson's still had them. I really liked them. They were the perfect blend of pepper and salt.

The other day I noticed my local Coop had KitKat bitter. They used to only come as little bars that came in a special box (they appeared at the same time as wine KitKat), but now they come in a regular KitKat size.

I also saw what I think were mini kuri KitKats in bags. I can't remember if they existed last year, too. I wonder if chestnut KitKat would be any good (I'm not willing to buy a whole bag to find out!).

Now if only they'd bring back the plain matcha ones, and cafe au lait, too!

I also saw what I think were  mini kuri KitKats in bags.  I can't remember if they existed last year, too.  I wonder if chestnut KitKat would be any good (I'm not willing to buy a whole bag to find out!).

Yeah, I saw these too, but 398yen for a bag?? I don't think so, I rarely spend that much on meat..

I don't remember them did they have them last year? We could probably scroll through this thread to find out! :raz:

I love the chocolate Yan-Yan sticks that comes in their own cups and dipping sauce (of course chocolate!).

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Yeah, I saw these too, but 398yen for a bag?? I don't think so, I rarely spend that much on meat..

I felt the same way. It's a shame they put out a lot of the novelty flavours in those bags. I don't mind spending Y120 on a bar, but Y400 on a bag where I might only eat one is a bit much for my ever-shrinking food budget.

I don't remember them did they have them last year? We could probably scroll through this thread to find out! :raz:

I was initially going to search for them, but got too lazy! :biggrin:

The pictures on the bag looked familiar, which is why I thought they might have had them last year. But the same kind of picture is used on so many kuri products--they all blend together after a while.

Another favorite of mine: Gateau Raisin of Bourbon.

Shown in the photo is a "family pack" of six Gateau Rasin's and five Ganash Soft's.

This is the first time I've had Ganash Soft. It was good too. :biggrin:

gallery_16375_5_53807.jpg

I bought the pack for 298 yen.

• 3 weeks later...

In Japan, some are fans of Kinoko no Yama while other are fans of Takenoko no Sato. What if your family have both fans? You can easily solve this problem by buying this combo pack.

gallery_16375_5_98417.jpg

12 packets in total

gallery_16375_5_80403.jpg

(Where is the missing one? In my daughter's stomatch.)

All my family are fans of Kinoko no Yama.

We bought this pack for 198 yen (it was on sale).

Kit Kat's new Halloween flavor, Pumpkin! (but it is made with kabocha..)

gallery_6134_2590_13746.jpg

It was only 288 yen($2.50), normally these bags of mini cost 398yen ($3.50). I really enjoyed it, in fact I enjoyed it so much I am hiding the bag from my kids.

Kit Kat's new Halloween flavor, Pumpkin! (but it is made with kabocha..)

gallery_6134_2590_13746.jpg

It was only 288 yen($2.50), normally these bags of mini cost 398yen ($3.50). I really enjoyed it, in fact I enjoyed it so much I am hiding the bag from my kids.

well if this isn't a coinky-dink! I just arrived home from Kyushu an hour ago, and was going to post a pic of the pumpkin KitKat I bought there! They were called mini KitKat or something like that, and are little round balls. I thought they were chocolate-covered almonds at first.

Even though iw as scooped, at least I won't have to deal wtih image gullet now!

Love Kitkat bars and the "reviews" of the kabocha ones drove me to my naughty online sources. Found them and some chestnuts ones as well (little round ball varieties too).

gallery_47882_3495_42420.jpg

:biggrin: Pumpkin, wow. Those are really good (and taste like pumpkin, duh...) The chestnuts... :hmmm: delicious, but they taste like white chocolate, not chestnut.

Another new fave: Suzukasutera. I thought about making them, but it's one of those food items that's a treat because you don't have to make it...

gallery_47882_3495_35898.jpg

oh my god those round balls of goodness are so delicious!!!! They are like minature muffins-you know the ones that come in the bag at the grocery store? appearance wise, not taste wise :biggrin:

do you have a recipe for them? I hate baking but I would definitely try to make those by hand

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

oh my god those round balls of goodness are so delicious!!!!  They are like minature muffins-you know the ones that come in the bag at the grocery store?  appearance wise, not taste wise :biggrin:

do you have a recipe for them?  I hate baking but I would definitely try to make those by hand

Sheena - buy them (I got them online at maruwa.com) before you commit yourself to the ordeal :blink: of trying to make them. They are basically small kasutera (castella) sponge cakes without the honey-water soak. I knew that if I went to the trouble of making kasutera, I would prefer a beautiful, full cake. I have seen some online short cuts where people use Japanese pancake mix (also available at maruwa), sweeten it up a bit and use that as the batter.

Little round balls of Kit Kat???

But you MUST post a picture of that!

I just got my camera back from Canon (after having dropped it in my soup....), and Y18 000 later, I can now take a picture of them. They may have all melted together, though. One of the bags definitely did, since I accidentally sat on them for an extended period of time, so I had to eat them all in one go. Oops! :sad:

I'll take care of that after I get back from the gym!

Oh, about the kuri KitKat. I picked up a non-chocolate-coated kuri kitkat at my Coop last week. It's not for me, so I can't open the box, but I thought it was neat. I'll take a picture of the box if I can remember what I did with it.

My first post since having my membership application accepted - Hoorah!

So, since I'm eating them now I thought I'd start with these querky little chocolate pies from Lotte. Seen them around for a long time but hadn't tried them until now.

I also got the Dekopon Hi-chu, my favourite is still the plain yoghurt but these are absolutely out of this world fragrant and lively.

chocopie.jpg

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I very rarely buy potato chips and other such snacks, but I couldn't resist the idea of a snack flavored with habanero, the "hottest pepper in the world." Something about the chili pepper's expression seemed like it was challenging me to even try it! I don't know if it really has a chicken tandoori Indian flavor, as labeled, but if you are looking for something spicy to give you a little jump start, this is the snack for you! They were super spicy, but very addictive. Even though my mouth felt like it was on fire, I couldn't put the bag down. Usually chips labeled as spicy really are never all that spicy, but this one lived up to its claim. These days I rarely eat anything spicy, aside from kim chee, so I was very happy with the purchase!

gallery_31440_3297_51407.jpg

Eel bones...Are they the Eel's vertebrae, flavoured/spiced?

Yup. Excellent source of calcium. Japanese kids and adults alike will also snack on things like tiny dried whole anchovies. Good for the bones...

Baker of "impaired" cakes...