• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

My previous post here was quite misleading. I happened to watch the mont blanc edition of Saturday Night Chubaw, where all three kyoshou (masters) used baked meringue as the base, so I vaguely thought that expensive mont blanc cakes used baked meringue.

Angelina in Paris sells mont blanc cakes. I can't find the official website of Angelina, but I found one blog describing its mont blanc with a photo.

I also found this website (Japanese only), which shows cross section photos and views of many mont blanc cakes (seven pages in total). Those of Angelina's mon blanc cakes can be found here.

I also found this website (Japanese only), which shows cross section photos and views of many mont blanc cakes (seven pages in total).  Those of Angelina's mon blanc cakes can be found here.
i really love all the diagrams! amazing, the time someone spent!
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

I also found this website (Japanese only), which shows cross section photos and views of many mont blanc cakes (seven pages in total).  Those of Angelina's mon blanc cakes can be found here.
i really love all the diagrams! amazing, the time someone spent!

I'm more interested in all the money she spent :raz:

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I bought the seasonal bamboo shoot cookies from Meiji. I really love these... they're gone already.  I might post a picture of the inside flap which says ゆでて食べていけません! (I think this means "don't boil us and eat us!") next to a little drawing of some bamboo shoots with sweat drops coming off of them.

The package also mentions a contest for the 30th anniversary of kinoko no yama cookies (the ones shaped like mushrooms), although my Japanese isn't good enough to figure out what it is, exactly. Maybe there are special editions of the kinoko no yama available in Japan?

131546500_dea26bdd0b.jpg

Jennie

Special flavors of the kinoko no yama come out every now and then. I have seen flavors such as strawberry, chestnut, azuki and matcha and even cranberry.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Last week I bought the seasonal bamboo shoot cookies from Meiji.  I really love these... they're gone already.  I might post a picture of the inside flap which says ゆでて食べていけません! (I think this means "don't boil us and eat us!") next to a little drawing of some bamboo shoots with sweat drops coming off of them.

The package also mentions a contest for the 30th anniversary of kinoko no yama cookies (the ones shaped like mushrooms), although my Japanese isn't good enough to figure out what it is, exactly.  Maybe there are special editions of the kinoko no yama available in Japan?

131546500_dea26bdd0b.jpg

Customers were invited to vote for the pastry chef who they thought had produced the best "dreamy flavors" for kinoko no yama and takenoko no sato.

http://open.meiji.co.jp/sweets/chocolate/k...neup/index.html

The winner was the left one.

Customers were invited to vote for the pastry chef who they thought had produced the best "dreamy flavors" for kinoko no yama and takenoko no sato.

http://open.meiji.co.jp/sweets/chocolate/k...neup/index.html

The winner was the left one.

oh my god! The guy on the right Matsuo-san is a friend of mine! I was just talking to his wife this morning.....

• 2 weeks later...

This was too beautiful to pass up! :biggrin: too bad it tasted like crap.... :angry:

If you enjoy fake banana taste you may enjoy this one.

But isn't the packaging pretty? I think I may keep the box.....

gallery_6134_2590_40887.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Two new hi-chu flavors:

lemon and shikuwasa (Okinawan citrus that has 100 other spellings...)

gallery_6134_2590_28903.jpg

both are good but I prefer the lime one from last summer.

I love this thread!!!!!!!!!! I love all the cute japanese snacks. My boyfriend LOVES the orion brand chocolate "mushrooms". He hates all things asian or seafood related, so it is a real challenge to have him try anything remotely asian (orion chocolate mushrooms).

Enough about my boyfriend...

I love japanese/korean pastries. I love the cream rolls or the stuffed pastries filled with red beans or cream pastes. I love japanese/korean pastries because they aren't as sweet as european pastries. Whenever I visit my parents in maryland I try to visit the Korean pastry shop to sample the desserts. I try to steer away from sweet or overly sweet things so I tend to enjoy korean or japanese desserts

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I'm not sure, and I don't want to get my (or anyone else's) hopes up, but I think I saw Matcha Kit Kat Minis the other day at my local Lawson's!! The bag looked like it was plain matcha, rather than the matcha adzuki version. I was in a bit of a rush so I couldn't look more carefully, but I'm going to check it out again. I'm trying not to get too excited over this!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure, and I don't want to get my (or anyone else's) hopes up, but I think I saw Matcha Kit Kat Minis the other day at my local Lawson's!!  The bag looked like it was plain matcha, rather than the matcha adzuki version.  I was in a bit of a rush so I couldn't look more carefully, but I'm going to check it out again.  I'm trying not to get too excited over this!

I have been looking but haven't seen the regular matcha ones. The adzuki-matcha are only in the large bag and I am not about to spend 300yen ($3) on them.

A little bit back I did pick up the new McVities lemon tea cookies, the biscuit is tea flavored while the filling is lemon. They were quite nice.

gallery_6134_2590_19489.jpg

I have been looking but haven't seen the  regular matcha ones. The adzuki-matcha are only in the large bag and I am not about to spend 300yen ($3) on them.

I went back this morning and I saw that it was the adzuki ones. Why the hell would they put those in a bag? If it were a regular pack, I might consider trying them, but who wants to get stuck with a huge bag of them?

A little bit back I did pick up the new McVities lemon tea cookies, the biscuit is tea flavored while the filling is lemon. They were quite nice.

I still haven't tried them. And late last week, I saw that the bread shop at my school had matcha McVitie's again! I'm so happy!!! But they've been selling out quickly! Last week they had 3 full boxes, and by Monday they had 1/2 a box. Today they had a new box out. I'm a little worried, and I feel like I should stock up!

Here are some snacks I got in Chicago. First, a special edition Hello Kitty tin with Gaufres from Fugetsudo Bakery in Kobe. I find them a little bit too sweet; they have a strawberry cream type filling that seems a little bit greasy to me:

gallery_7863_3000_303775.jpg

Next, various Pocky. I love the Lucky Mini Almond sticks and the Coconut Pocky are REALLY GOOD. The Pineapple Pocky is not great to me, but I prefer chocolate. I haven't tried the sweet potato? Pocky yet:

gallery_7863_3000_252473.jpg

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds really good! I'll have to get a box of them when we get them here :wub:

I recently tried this: 4901005111462.jpg

It's basically banana-flavoured reverse Pocky. I'm not one for banana-flavoured things, but it wasn't too bad (my boyfriend really liked it). I also got the choco custard one, but haven't tried it yet. What does Poare mean?

^ So it means pear? But that doesn't have anything to do with the flavours... I would jump at the chance to try pear Pocky! In fact, that would be one of my dream flavours. :wub:

edited to fix smiley

Edited by chocomoo (log)

^ So it means pear?  But that doesn't have anything to do with the flavours...

Doh! I should have paid more attention in the first place. Poare is just the product name they are using to distinguish it from Pocky. (Poare, Pocky and Pretz are all from the same manufacturer, Glico.)

http://www.glico.co.jp/poare/index.htm

My educated guess is that it has no meaning at all, but was picked because it "sounds good."

Also, I was wrong, "poire" would be pronounced "po-waa-ru" in Japanese. Sorry for the misinformation.:sad:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

^ Oh that's alrigh!! :) I wonder if it will become a permanent offshoot? And why didn't they just call it Reverse Pocky, the original name, and just make different flavours for it, like Mousse Pocky?

Can you guess what I did? I sent an inquiry to Glico, and received a reply today.

They said the product name, Poire, was coined by them, but they also said it was closely associated with the French verb, "poeler."

Wow, Hiroyuki, thanks! And guess what site I ended up at when I googled "poeler"? Surprise!

I tried the choco custard version last night, and quite liked it - I thought it would be the same as the original reverse Pocky but while reverse Pocky contained dark/bittersweet chocolate, the choco custard one is filled with milk chocolate. Yummy! :wub: I like the contrast of the crunchy biscuit & soft chocolate inside.

• 2 months later...