• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Sausage and Grapes

Fat Guy

Peel me a grape, Mamster.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Eh. S'okay.

Nice piece though, mamster.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

"And therein lies the problem. Many people, myself included, find bursts of sugar in savory food highly unpleasant. It would be like putting meatballs in a chocolate chip cookie. "

but, but, aren't you one of those enjoying the pairing of fleur de sel (or salt) in candies and caramels? How about bacon candy? Or sugared nuts with a big hit of hot spice. Or chocolate cookies with red pepper heat. Of course, consistency is the hobgoblin...No pork with pears? No dried fruit in stuffing or middle eastern stews? I guess I like to mix 'em up.

How about bacon candy? Or sugared nuts with a big hit of hot spice. Or chocolate cookies with red pepper heat. Of course, consistency is the hobgoblin...No pork with pears? No dried fruit in stuffing or middle eastern stews? I guess I like to mix 'em up.

No candy. Bacon.

No sugar. Nuts and hot spice.

No chocolate cookies. Red pepper heat.

No pears. Pork.

No dried fruit.

Steak.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I don't like the bacon candy. I know I'm the only one. Wait, Jinmyo too. Jinmyo and I are the only one.

The fleur de sel with the caramel was fantastic, but salt is never unwelcome.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

No sugar. Nuts and hot spice.

No chocolate cookies. Red pepper heat.

No pears. Pork.

No dried fruit.

Steak.

Down with Pears. Pears suck! Also cranberries. Suck. :biggrin:

I've occasionally had Pork with an apricot or plum glaze that was at least passable (barely). But yes, Steak is sacred. Don't put fruit next to my steak. Bacon next to my steak... now that's worth discussing.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In considering dried fruit, I recommend trying pizza with figs (or fig jam made with lots of onions), proscuitto, and gorgonzola. Oh my.

Well, I'm one of the few people I know who seem to actually enjoy pineapple on pizza (its got to be paired with bacon though, and maybe peppers and onions), but I don't know about that fig thing.

In general I'm not big on mixing fruit and cheese, with the above exception, or also apples eaten with brie (I guess I'm not considering cottage cheese in this... but who really loves cottage cheese?)

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've been reading this thread and pondering the few instances of fruit-on-meat action that have really appealed to me. There aren't many, but I keep coming back to tacos al pastor, which I've often had in the guise of pork and pineapple together in a tortilla.

Tacos al pastor are shockingly unsucky, despite my aversion to meat'nfruit. Really, they're damned good.

On the other hand, I regard with suspicion and distrust the idea of paring sausages and grapes. :unsure:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Tacos al pastor are the best! When I was backpacking through Mexico a few years ago my friend and I spent our last pesos on them in Mexico City. We were not able to eat anything until we got back to the US, but it was so well worth it! I can still taste them.

Anne E. McBride

I don't like the bacon candy. I know I'm the only one. Wait, Jinmyo too. Jinmyo and I are the only one.

The fleur de sel with the caramel was fantastic, but salt is never unwelcome.

I hate bacon candy too...a lot. Fruit with savory is a pet peeve of mine, for the most part I can't stand it, but hypocritically, I love tacos al pastor. And, I love Thai food that has tamarind in it (a fruity flavor you must admit) but I hold that in both instances, the fruitiness is balanced by acidity and chillies.

regards,

trillium

And, I love Thai food that has tamarind in it (a fruity flavor you must admit) but I hold that in both instances, the fruitiness is balanced by acidity and chillies.

Yah. I was unconsciously lumping tamarind in with lemons and limes (and, I'd say, oranges). It's not a citrus, I don't believe, but tamarind has the acidity to make it a good match with savory foods.

Acidity makes a huge difference it seems to me. I once made a blackberry-orange-red wine vinegar reduction type thing to go on squab, and it went well, though normally I shy away from anything containing blackberries that isn't a cobbler or a sorbet.

I am, now that I think on it, not so much a purist as I thought I was.

O well. :biggrin:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.