• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michigan Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

If you're driving north on 127 and happen to stop in Mount Pleasant, I can heartily recommend two places:

1) The Brass Cafe The website appears to be down at the moment, so I've linked to the FB page.

2) Risk Restaurant - no website, cash only, 10 tables. Located on Mission Street between Wisconsin and Locust in a green house. Here's an article from the local paper...

Welcome to eGullet, Julie, and thanks for the Mt. Pleasant tips.

Given your screen/blog name, you might have some interest in this forum.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I helped my gf move in earlier this week and then had to drive back to Cleveland to wrap up work stuffs; because of the time crunch there was no stopping in Mt. Pleasant.

We did drive to Traverse City but only really had time to get a cherry pie before needing to head back to Interlochen and get settled. I'm headed up next Monday and can't wait to explore then. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

Several new food places have opened in the downtown Mt. Pleasant area - all worth a mention to food-friendly folks who may be passing through. I'm linking to Facebook pages...

1)Market On Main, run by the same people who own The Brass Cafe, featuring gourmet items to go, great cheese selection, cooking classes. It's a couple of doors away from the Brass on Main Street.

2) Mountain Town Station has added a fine dining restaurant called Camille's On The River. I ate dinner here recently: mussels in white wine sauce, gnocchi with beef cheek, pumpkin praline torte, and a glass of Grand Traverse Riesling. Elegant dining room, roaring fire, excellent service.

3) Midori Sushi & Martini Lounge. Fancy & friendly. Loved the hazelnut scallops with vanilla cream and watermelon salad. Enjoyed the Ninja Roll: crab salad, tempura avocado, tuna, ginger dressing and scallion. Didn't care for the fruit sushi dessert: too much rice, not enough fruit or chocolate; I think it confused my taste buds after the other items.

4) Gingko Tree Inn & Riverbluff Bistro. Haven't eaten here yet, but it sounds wonderful: Turkey, Bacon & Brie Sandwich, Ratatouille Crepes, and English Tea time every Tuesday through Sunday.