• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Horse) Race Day Watch Parties

coolranch

Heading to a friend's house for the Derby...fabulous mint juleps are taken care of by the very qualified host.

Beer cheese is popping up on my searches...or maybe something with bourbon in it?

Anyone cooking anything special?

Challah back!

Marinated and broiled chicken wings. Or if there will be a grill available at the party, ask if can borrow. Bring raw marinated wings and slap on grill. Or you can broil them ahead of time.

Ah, mint juleps. God love that drink.

Unless Empire Maker comes up with two more bruised feet, he will win by 2 1/4 lengths in a time of 2:01 flat.

Having a party and the main dish is burgoo along with grilled shrimp and lobster tails. Haven't been to the Derby since '91, have a great time to those that are going. Use Holmeister in the exotics.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I am having a brunch before we head out to the track.  We are having:

Country Ham biscuits

Garlic Cheese Grits

Benedictine Sandwiches

Pimento Cheese Sandwiches

French Toast

Father's Bacon

Fresh Melon

Mint Juleps

Bellinis

If you want a Derby Pie ®  click here

Uh, are gate crashers allowed?? Your menu sounds awesome -- reminds me of my childhood!

Memories . . . :smile::smile:

Use Holmeister in the exotics.

She is riding Supah Blitz. Could be a live long shot. Must consider.

Pimento Cheese

1/2 lb. aged yellow cheddar

1/2 lb. aged white cheddar

8 oz. pimientos chopped

8 oz. pack of cream cheese

3/4 cup of Duke's Mayo

tsp kosher salt

tsp cayenne

Process in cuisinart to desired consistency, unless you are a purest and then grate the cheese into large grate on box grater, and mix with other ingredients until softened and well-incorporated, approximately 3 hours.

Edited by Ron Johnson (log)

Pimento Cheese

1/2 lb. aged yellow cheddar

1/2 lb. aged white cheddar

8 oz. pimientos chopped

8 oz. pack of cream cheese

3/4 cup of Duke's Mayo

tsp kosher salt

tsp cayenne

Process in cuisinart to desired consistency, unless you are a purest and then grate the cheese into large grate on box grater, and mix with other ingredients until softened and well-incorporated, approximately 3 hours.

This is much like my mama's recipe, including Duke's mayo (the best!), except for the cream cheese. I must make up a batch using your recipe, Ron -- sounds delicious!

Why does no one make pimento cheese outside the south??

• 11 months later...

Today is the 130th running of the Kentucky Derby. Of course the mint julep is ubiquitous around Louisville this weekend, but there are other traditions, as well.

I just returned from cooking breakfast at a local B&B for their full house of (12) out-of-town guests. Really out of town, in the case of one couple, a Nobel Prize winner and his wife all the way from Switzerland.

The menu:

Course 1:

French baguette toast served with mint julep butter and blackberry creme fraiche Ruby red grapefruit

Course 2:

Eggs Benedictine (english muffin, seared country ham, poached egg and benedictine sauce rather than hollandaise). Y'all probably already know that benedictine is a combination of dill, shallots and cucumber, usually conveyed in cream cheese, but i used creme fraiche instead.

Sauteed asparagus

Rave reviews! :smile: Especially on the mint julep butter.

What are you cooking for Derby Day?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.