• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Dinner For 30 Persons

gruyere

I have been a serious egullet voyeur for about 6 weeks now. I am overwhelmed by the level of knowledge and the passion of so many of the participants. I have posted on the France and Italy boards as I was looking for information related to a June vacation in those two countries.

However this is my first post on what I would consider my 'home board'.

My business partners and I would like to host about 12 clients for dinner on Tuesday May 6, 2003. Including ourselves and spouses the total number will be about 30. They will be attending a convention with about half of them from Montreal and the other half from out of town. We did this on a couple of occassions in the past with a larger group and the restaurants (Club des Pins and Restaurant Laloux) held our function as a private group and closed to other customers. Given the lateness of this request and the size of the group I doubt that it is practical to persue this route.

Does anybody know of a highly recommended restaurant that might have a private room or at least a semi-private section that could host our group?

Thanks.

Newbie here too and I'm relucant to post so soon after joining, but I've personally held private dinners at both Bice and Cube within the last two months.

Bice has a second level to the main dining room that can hold at least 50 persons and Cube has taken over the old Bar Cru as a private reception room.

Both rooms also have a self contained bar at allow for a cocktail hour.

Best, ABG

Edited by ABG (log)

Welcome from me too! Lesley C should be able to help with this one.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Cafe Melies have a second floor that is often used for your type of function, very interesting location, maybe Alex could help you out.

Rosalie also have a second floor space that maybe used it the same way, I'm sure Dave will log in eventually...

Nice space at California Dream, in Old Montréal, sleek design and good food.

Michel

What kind of food we'd like:

The group would be quite adventurous. We are not really stuck on any type of food. Italian, French, Market, Fusion --- pretty much anything goes. I would be more concerned that we'd have a nice location with excellent food. I find that in some places the 'group room' is an afterthought and not in keeping with the decor of the overall establishment. More generic for example. I would like to avoid this.

Thanks

Bice is my best recommendation b/c the upstairs feels like the rest of the place.

Cube is a very hip room with sofas and a DJ booth etc. etc. May not be what you are looking for.

Any private rooms at Rosalie? best, ABG

rosalie has a beautiful and super comfy upstairs lounge-ish place. with a fire place, and everything. however, i am not certain if you can eat a sit down meal up there. but it's definitely where it's at.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I agree, I was just there yesterday. Great food, my girlfriend had the burger, the fries are divine. The service was quite good and the waiter even notcied my grilfriend's pregnancy and gave her a triple order of small pickles... hey hey hey.

I had the toulouse on great mash potatoes (slightly crusted) and rapini, string haricot. I am going to gamble and say the toulouse is from queue de cochon...

The menu does not appear excentric, however, once presented, you will see some definite personnal and suprising touches. The biggest plus there is the perfect timing of the plates and the perfect temperature and cooking.

The upstairs room seems amazing. Definnitely where I would go and who could go wrong with those smart cocktails.

Cube has a room (Bar Cru) that is used in the evening, however, you want have to really rent out that space with tables. I'm sure they would do it, if the price is right. Oups I just read the comments... Bar crue is closed... Oh well, I was there for the opening...

thank you identifiler,next time say hi,....to gruyere ,we can talk about your 30 person group for rosalie.call me at 392 1970,if you are interested............ i can accomodate you on that date........

You might also want to look into Anise, just up the street from Le Club des Pins at 104 Laurier Ave. O. (near St-Urbain St.) Phone: (514) 276-6999.

They have a room on the top level of the resto that is ideal for groups, not totally secluded but quiet enough for coversation. The food is getting better and better at Anise, think sophisticated French with Middle Eastern accents. It's also a very sophisticated setting. Service is great, the wine list is interesting. They do lovely tasting menus for groups. It was one of my top picks from the recent Montreal High Lights Festival.

You can have a look at their Web site at www.anise.ca.

Many thanks for the wonderful suggestions folks. Once again egullet gets the job done.

I have been out of town for a few days and I believe one of my partners may have already committed to a resto, although he is not here to confirm.

David M mildly admonished me the last time I was at Rosalie after I informed him that I was an egullet voyeur and not yet a regular poster. I have changed my ways David. Thanks for the Tuesday nite offer. I will contact you if arrangements have not already been made.

Lesley, we have a smaller group of 10 on Wednesday nite and have taken your advice regarding Anise.

BrianL

• 3 years later...

Hi

The American sociologists are coming in August for our convention, and our smaller group focused on education is trying to plan our annual dinner. We require a restaurant willing to serve a group of 150 of us (either private room, or taking over the whole restaurant) at approx $50/head (US) not including alcohol. Good food is important to us. Any ideas??

Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

At that level, maybe a Big bistro room can be intersting.

-Holder can do it for sure, but I dont know if they will accept to close the place.?

-Lemeac since they have a new curtain in case of rain or wind, with some electric heaters. Have to be in the weekdays 'cause they are really busy.

-Or Hotels reception room, but the food!!?!

-Toque can maybe squeeze a 150 places setting,( they have 90 regularly) if its worth it!

- or maybe a wonderfull buffet Vichy....lol

I agree, having a 150 capacity restaurant is one thing, closing it for a one time event of 150 at 50$ a head and serving everyone at once is another. If it's on a week day, give those restaurant a try but Thursday to Sunday in August... not so certain. Do you have a prefered hotel for the meeting ? Cheque with the Concierge and force him to ask for someplace outside of the hotel.

I would try to do a Traiteur-room booking. Corneillier might have an option witha room in the Montreal Contemporain buidling, you could also try renting the Stone Mason Temple for an evening using the traiteur in the buidling, Julien Leblanc. The rooms are pretty neat. Hotels is another suggestion.

Big places might back you up, Mythos is a great suggestion, Holder possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Sara,

For 150 people Not too much selection, except maybe Restaurant Du Vieux Port in the old port on Rue St-Paul. They have mastered the art of accomodating large parties and the food is very good! You wouldn't like the food at Mythos, plus the music is very very loud! At Vieux Port you will have your own floor with a team of waiters serving only your party.

Very helpful--thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I went to a 150 people wedding at the Sofitel this weekend and it was very good. Crab and avocado appetizer, grapefruit and basil granita, rack of lamb with polenta, Quebec cheeses etc. The bread was ordinary, however. I was impressed with the lamb, it was perfectly rosy inside, and very tender.