• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee roaster in Burien

I was very happy today to find a new coffee roaster in Burien, sonofresco, on 152nd, in the building that replaced one leveled in a gas explosion about a year ago. These guys appear to be very good with green beans for roasting from all over the world at a reasonable price. They will roast whatever you want to blend and have lots of intructional help. Pretty amazing to me.

Didn't have time to stop, but next door is a new Baltic food store.

I used to be a Burien basher, now I am a real booster. Perhaps it's because of all the ethnic groups that have moved in. Anyhow I can do most of my shopping right on 152nd. Wayne's Asian Produce across the street, Wayne's Mexican food store and fish market right next door and a discount grocery store to the west. The grocery often has great buys on items like proscutto, hard to find cheeses, etc. It also knocks the hell out of Trader Joe's on wine prices with its close outs. Need to be careful of what you buy in all these places, though; they ain't Safeway. If I want a good bottle of wine I can always go around the corner to EB Foote.

Now if someone could work on the resturants.....

dave

DR, thanks for the post. Considering I'm just a shade northeast of that area, I'm ashamed that I've never checked it out. Good coffee within striking distance of home would be a real plus!....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Dave, I agree, Burien food finds are getting a lot better. I troll through Burien often and have been impressed with all the new restaurants and food stores. I'll be sure to l jot down the name of the new ethnic grocery store I discovered a few weeks ago (it might be the same one you referenced).

Burien does have a great resturant that you should try, if you haven't already! It's Taqueria El Rinconsito. We post about it often.

Clickety here: tacos!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Dave, I agree, Burien food finds are getting a lot better. I troll through Burien often and have been impressed with all the new restaurants and food stores. I'll be sure to l jot down the name of the new ethnic grocery store I discovered a few weeks ago (it might be the same one you referenced).

Burien does have a great resturant that you should try, if you haven't already! It's Taqueria El Rinconsito. We post about it often.

Clickety here: tacos!

We have stopped in the one in Burien and also the one on Pacific Highway at anout 268th. They are Quite good. Only complaint would be you can't get a Mexican beer with your meal.

Each Mexican resturant is a little different. Tonight we are going to Mexican Lido in Kent, one we have been patronizing almost 25 years on Thursday nights, and it to is different.

dave

Hey, Mexico Lindo is right by my office and a great place -- and I have to say that it's a place that is very worthy of your dining dollars.

Dave, if you're a regular there, you probably already know about the money trouble Roberto Gonzalez has had.

(Here's an article in case you didn't know):Mexico Lindo money troubles

I haven't been in for a few months, are they doing ok?

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

....Perhaps it's because of all the ethnic groups that have moved in.  Anyhow I can do most of my shopping right on 152nd. Wayne's Asian Produce  across the street,  Wayne's Mexican food store and fish market right next door and a discount grocery store to the west...

Stopped by Wayne's on Friday seeking some unusual ingredients for a little Cinco de Mayo feast scrat and I put together this weekend. They have quite a variety of both Mexican and Asian products packed into two small spaces that also contain a meat market and a fruit/veggie stand. There's also what appears to be a Russian deli counter at the back of the vegetable market. This place rates very high on the products per square inch ratio. Found some good stuff that I was having trouble locating elsewhere....

Also stopped by Grocery Outlet next door. Didn't have time to look closely at everything they have, but prices are CHEAP! Among their wines was a really good Orvieto Classico (for $6/bottle) that I had in Italy. I bought a couple bottles and have my fingers crossed that its in good condition. If so, I may clean them out of the stuff....

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

....Perhaps it's because of all the ethnic groups that have moved in.  Anyhow I can do most of my shopping right on 152nd. Wayne's Asian Produce  across the street,  Wayne's Mexican food store and fish market right next door and a discount grocery store to the west...

Stopped by Wayne's on Friday seeking some unusual ingredients for a little Cinco de Mayo feast scrat and I put together this weekend. They have quite a variety of both Mexican and Asian products packed into two small spaces that also contain a meat market and a fruit/veggie stand. There's also what appears to be a Russian deli counter at the back of the vegetable market. This place rates very high on the products per square inch ratio. Found some good stuff that I was having trouble locating elsewhere....

Also stopped by Grocery Outlet next door. Didn't have time to look closely at everything they have, but prices are CHEAP! Among their wines was a really good Orvieto Classico (for $6/bottle) that I had in Italy. I bought a couple bottles and have my fingers crossed that its in good condition. If so, I may clean them out of the stuff....

Did you check out the goat? One thing we find in the Mexican grocery is that they have many of the lesser cuts of meat which we use quite often. Try to find sweatbreads any more at a regular butcher. FDA regulations and lack of market makes must butchers leave these alone.

What did you think of the seafood and shellfish? I am sometimes tempted to pickup a dungy or some oysters. Some of the seafood items look better left alone.

dave

Did you check out the goat?  One thing we find in the Mexican grocery is that they have many of the lesser cuts of meat which we use quite often.  Try to find sweatbreads any more at a regular butcher.  FDA regulations and lack of market  makes must butchers leave these alone.

What did you think of the seafood and shellfish?  I am sometimes tempted to pickup a dungy or some oysters.  Some of the seafood items look better left alone.

dave

Yeah, they have some interesting meats available, including goat as well as pig and veal heads. Overall I thought the meat looked pretty good, though some of the seafood didnt' exactly whet my appetite however. I'm pretty damn picky about fish and I primarily judge seafood by smell, or preferably lack thereof, and there was definitely a "fishy" smell to the place that turned me off a little. Think I'll save my seafood purchases for Mutual Fish and focus on Wayne's hard-to-find products. The produce looked a little hit and miss, but the price was right.