• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crystal clear

shilly

Dear all

Since getting married a couple of years ago, we've been the proud possessors of some very nice Riedel glassware (mostly Vinum, with the exception of two glorious -- but very very delicate Sommeliers Sauternes glasses). We've greatly enjoyed using them, but are always struggling to keep them sparkling clean. We don't put them in the dishwasher as we've found that our other glasses have tended to cloud over time if we do. So we've been washing by hand. But some of the glasses have a relatively narrow neck, which makes cleaning detritus off the bottom of the glass difficult (we once made strawberry champagne cocktails, which were a complete disaster to try and clean out of the champagne glasses). Additionally, we have a problem drying the glasses without getting watermarks, and the glasses always look smeary after drying.

How do others clean their glasses? What do restaurants do?

Steve

What I do generally works well, but then again I don't have any Riedel glasses to worry about! Firstly I wash them in quite hot water and them rinse them under hot running water while holding them by the base. Then I leave them to dry themselves, inverted on a dishtowel. The hotter the water is, the more quickly it'll dry and therefore there's less chance of streaks forming. I suspect that having the water too hot might not be good for very delicate glass though.

I don't like washing glasses with narrow mouths - I recently broke a tasting glass trying to clean it. My hand was in it at the time and I cut myself, but I was more concerned about the glass than about my finger. Luckily not a particularly expensive glass. Perhaps my water was too hot, as I don't think I actually bumped the glass on anything.

Use the white linen tablecloths at the end of service.

Wash in hot water plus a little washing up liquid. Rinse. Dry. A tablecloth is big enough to wrap round your hands and provide some protection, also avoiding fingermarks.

If there is a stubborn deposit, soak the glass overnight.

Decanters are rather more difficult. You can get special brushes, and a length of lavatory chain works well.

I always hand wash, but use a special glass brush from Oxo-good grips. I use that brush exclusively for my glasses and decanters.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Dear all

Thanks for the tips! I've had a look at the good grips range and there are a couple of items there that I like the look of. Incidentally, they have the best terms and conditions in the business... take a look:

https://www.oxo.com/info/terms.html

I'm going to try the filling with hot water lark as well, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the water hot enough to evaporate without risking cracking the glass

Steve

Just hot water from the tap. Not boiling water. If you do this with a large Riedel glass it is kind of exciting in a low key way. You do get the feeling it is going to break under the pressure.

Wash. Rinse in cold water. Fill to the brim with hot water. Leave until the outside has dried -- which is quick since they are hot. Pour out the hot water  and leave upside down.  Voila.

The change in temperature will probably break your glasses. If you do this, do it very gradually. Glass can stand boiling water as long as it's not a shock.

I've found that Ball half pint mason jars hold up much better to firm washing than any of that sissy hand blown stuff... :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak