• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly

eatingwitheddie

Probably not. I would do two pieces of the smaller size anyway myself, just for convenience sake. It going to be easier to handle the smaller pieces with out falling apart, depending on how tender it is.

Thanks for your replies, folks!

Good point about doing it in two pieces, AAQuesada. Yesterday, I was thinking about the sizes of my pots, and I don't think a larger slab of belly would fit nicely in any of them. Two smaller ones are easier to fit in, however.

I have poached it with skin on, gdenby. I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference cutting it off, but you might loose more fat during cooking with the skin off?

• 1 year later...

I have not been able to get Pork Belly easily. I have a trip planed to Chinatown BOS monday where I can get it,

I cant use it right away. so Id get some and use the SV bags and freeze it.

does that change any thing on the MC and MC@Home Adobo which I look forward to making, maybe in the Winter with a Snow Storm comming?

thanks

Should be fine, as long as the meat doesn't get freezer burn. Make sure it doesn't smell rancid after thawing.

I would gently urge you to make the SV pork belly (I think in MC@H it's listed in the BLT sandwich recipe) instead of pressure cooked version. Having made both I can say without a doubt the sous vide version is much better, albeit a bit more work (brined, 72-hour sous vide, then pan seared).

I buy pork belly on a regular basis. Its easy to find & very cheap to buy here in France.

I freeze it most times as I like to buy when its on sale. It freezes just fine. Just make sure its well wrapped; I use zip lock type bags with as much air squeezed out as possible.

My favorite way to prepare it is a very slow roast. My recipe is on my blog.

going to chinatown on mon. Ill pick up as much as I can carry, needing room for Viet Sandwiches and Roasted Pork buns.

Ill cut the belly's in 1/2 and vacuum them and freeze. they will keep that way 'fore-ever'

in the past, pre Modernist I used to liberally sprinkle this with 'rub du jour' and do them on the Webber with good wood smoke.

delicious. so Ill get all I can carry. for the winter.

DH Ill bookmark and be a keen lurker on your blog!

Radtek

That's a good price. I pay about € 2.95 a kilo when on sale. (about $3.77 if my conversion is correct.) Thus about $ 1.89 a pound.

Not much different, but its more when not on sale.

Rotuts

Lurk away.

I was able to get to Chinatown BOS today and got some 'pork belly'

this is the best I could find and as they they there was 'no english'

note the cartilage that one sometimes sees on 'bacon' but note the ribs and how they run on the L of the photo. not may ribs in what Id call 'belly' so is this ' side meat ' of some kind?

I hope to use it for SV/BBQ/MC@H

your thoughts on this cut?

PorkBelly.jpg

I cant say much for your belly, but mine is boneless! :raz:

all kidding aside, the L of this 'belly' has rib bones so I guess ive always been wrong thinking 'belly is the meat around that button or side meat. I guess it runs up to include meat next to the ribs.

nice vid, thanks!

so I guess 'pork belly' really is a side of pork. ribs removed for 'bacon' etc

wonder where the piggy 'flank steak' is. is that the smooth muscle seen in the above vid?

Ive always thought the 'flank steak' (beefy ones) were the abdominal muscles, is '6 pack abs' etc.

somewhat asked on maybe the SV thread or MC@H on price: these were 2.49 and I got 5.2 lbs total weight on the two pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the latest thinking in terms of brining pork belly? Are there pros and cons re: dry vs wet brining? Does brining actually add a huge amount of flavour to pork belly?

Until fairly recently, I had never brined Pork Belly and cooked it conventionally at a fairly low temperature for about 3-4 hrs. But I have been reading with interest a fair amount of recipes that call for brining (such as Heston's 24-hr brine followed by 9+ hrs of cooking) pork belly followed by cooking at much lower temperatures for longer (not sous vide - just a low temperature oven).

Recently I dry brined 1.5 kg (skin off) Pork Belly and then cooked over 9 hrs - the end result was pretty good (but then, when is Pork Belly not good!), but I am not sure I noticed a huge amount of extra flavour. I was wondering whether wet brining would do something better? Quite a few of the recipes call for 12 hrs of dry brining vs. 24 hrs of wet brining...

Brining allegedly helps make the pork retain the moisture better after cooking. The result should be a more succulent cut of meat. Another secondary function of the brine is to help the meat maintain a bolder color (using instacure #1), otherwise the braised belly tends to turn a duller gray color. I've brined all of my pork bellies, but only because it seemed like the de facto thing to do. I have heard it's very delicious without brining as well...

Baselerd, I can testify first hand it is delicious without brining as well :hmmm:

I am not sure I would use brining solely for the purpose of helping it retain moisture as pork belly is not very likely to be dry. I read that chefs do it to get better flavour into the pork...and with that as the goal, I am wondering if anyone has views (or fact) regarding the pros and cons of dry vs wet brining.